What's new

The dark chapter:1971 tragedy

Conclusion

There should be an equal base for all people to prosper. To differentiate on the basis of any system is discrimination, and to expect progress to be beneficial needs growth on all sides. An economy which is strong on paper is useless until the benefit reaches all the people. The right to worship or the right to independent thinking needs to be protected and society needs to grow to accept every culture, every caste and every view point according to our constitution.
To think on the lines of provinces, or to think one is better than another, or to somehow believe that the provincial identity is who one is something that can only lead to ruin.
The basis of brotherhood and unity is something that needs to grow in society and it will only grow when there is a real will to unite. The biggest dilemma of ours even now is to identify according to castes or localities and to forget right or wrong.
We cannot trust India, nor can we expect any good to come out of their side towards any peaceful resolution. The man who forgets history is doomed to repeat it. Indians are our enemies, they are always finding weaknesses to exploit us, while showing a peaceful exterior at all times. They are a country with a devious, anti Pakistani government and military and they will try in all instances to break up in any way possible. Even the issues of East Pakistan were given fire by India, and now we see India trying the same in Baluchistan.
Pakistan needs to clarify her policy towards India and adopt similar tit-for-tat strategy since Indian intentions are clear towards Pakistan. A strong response needs to be developed and Pakistan must encounter Indian strategy before it is too late.

Much that I'd like to but I will refrain on commenting on( as yet) what has been written in Post No 1 prior to the conclusion.

I would however add the following to the conclusion.

1. Stop looking for groups to make fun of , ridicule, exploit or single out . It began with the Bengalis, later the Baloch now the Shias. The results can be catastrophic.

2. As regards India, never make the mistake ( again) of assuming that an attack in J&K shall stay localised. From Andamans to J&K - Indians consider all parts as ' atoot angs' and react accordingly.

3. Dont give windows of opportunity to India while attempting to unsettle it.

4. Decide if Pak would like to remain unbalanced forever by reliving an ill executed partition which has led to nothing except suffering & heart burn or move on and develop as a nation.

5. To develop a strong response a nation needs to be strong within. Strength does not come from one arm alone. Reliance on Military alone is lopsided strength.

6. Stop looking for enemies in the wrong place - the real enemies are within spewing venom and shooting innocent children.

7. Stop fighting the previous war. All wars do not have bullets .

I wonder if we go and start a few Naxal militant camps on your side and fund them and send troops to train them how would it feel. :)
Pakistan has tried much worse. We have experience in this matter. Besides, as enemy countries this is what we are supposed to do. That's how arch rivals act. Just that we learnt some lessons better than the PA and ISI.

Look Sir,
First of all,we need clear reports of Indian insurgencies in Baluchistan,let it once become available,then will surely be able to make up a detailed report without any problem or hesitation.
P.S if anyone has that uncensored part,send me immediately.

Second,no matter what Indians are planning,if we are strong and united to the core,then no plan shall work.I can for now compare Baluchistan's situation to that of Bengal's and these are as follows:

East Pakistan(former):

1-Badly treated by civil regime
2-Had major differences with west Pakistan(ie linguistic,idealism etc)
3-Very much prone to Indian interference.
4-Insecurity
5-Misunderstandings

Present Baluchistan:

1-Ignored earlier by civil regime,but now army is focusing in such areas.
2-Had major differences,but it is very close,infact geographically a stronger part of Pakistan,so can be easily handled.
3-Now,very much challenging for Indians to interfere
4-Insecurity:needs to be treated with newer projects upon which in some areas such as KPK,government is working.
5-Misunderstandings, as usual,but can be handled for now and were handled when terrorists communication setups were destroyed and mullah radio was arrested and humiliated.

regards
All the points are secondary in nature. The role of Islam was muted in East Pakistan. Even today Bangladeshi Islamism is a joke. As a Muslim country they are remarkably liberal and tolerant, besides having a sizeable Hindu minority. Baluchistan also had strong secular tendencies, but it does not have a conscious Hindu sympathising populace. Thus very few will truly think about completely seceding from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

India, I believe should follow a different game here. Copying the BD experience here won't work. I am sure the folks know that though.

Last edited:
Present Baluchistan:

1-Ignored earlier by civil regime,but now army is focusing in such areas.
2-Had major differences,but it is very close,infact geographically a stronger part of Pakistan,so can be easily handled.
3-Now,very much challenging for Indians to interfere
4-Insecurity:needs to be treated with newer projects upon which in some areas such as KPK,government is working.
5-Misunderstandings, as usual,but can be handled for now and were handled when terrorists communication setups were destroyed and mullah radio was arrested and humiliated.

1-Ignored earlier by civil regime, but now army is focusing in such areas.
What if I countered by saying that the Army can never make up for the lack of an effective civilian setup? The Army's focus can improve the law and order and security situation for a while, but it cannot provide the sustained effort on social development that is needed. Only a functioning civilian governance structure can do that. Where is the effort to resurrect this aspect?

2-Had major differences, but it is very close,in fact geographically a stronger part of Pakistan, so can be easily handled.
This is correct in the the logistical issues are much easier. However, the long and difficult to seal the border with lawless Afghanistan with many intentional agencies being present may nullify this advantage.

3-Now,very much challenging for Indians to interfere.
Well, that the Indians may be up for this challenge, is all I can say.

4-Insecurity: needs to be treated with newer projects upon which in some areas such as KPK, government is working.
Please see my reply to #1 above. A few projects will not replace or create a working civilian setup, which is what is needed to sustain the people of Baluchistan, and indeed in the rest of the country too..

Again, these are tactical battles won for now. Where is the overall war going?

@Slav Defence Interesting and well laid article from which many lessons can be learnt today. I would ask members however to give me one example where a country with two halves of 48/52 ratio with a combined population of 380 million with 1,200 miles of 'enemy territory' separating exist or has ever existed for long?

If you can't find exact example please give me something proximate to this:-

east-and-west-pakistan.jpg

The only tragic thing about 1971 was we should have left with dignity one year before in 1970 with flag ceremony the way British left. Tragedy should have been celebration like what the British did in 1947.

Flag lowered.

upload_2015-6-30_18-49-38.jpeg

Chat and laugh while the flag goes down and the bands played "God save the Queen"..

64e785b5-aab7-4280-a3b3-149309315b30WallpAutoWallpaper2.JPG

Then leave like you did a favour.

9fc4f419-735a-494a-9a2c-e4c80385878aWallpAutoWallpaper2.JPG

Instead we lost 55,000 men and got this.

images

That is the differance betwen empire makers ( British ) and colonial slaves ( us ). Until we learn the tack and mental agility to run countries we will continue make mistake after mistake.

Last edited:
@Slav Defence Interesting and well laid article from which many lessons can be learnt today. I would ask members however to give me one example where a country with two halves of 48/52 ratio with a combined population of 380 million with 1,200 miles of 'enemy territory' separating exist or has ever existed for long?

If you can't find exact example please give me something proximate to this:-

east-and-west-pakistan.jpg

The only tragic thing about 1971 was we should have left with dignity one year before in 1970 with flag ceremony the way British left. Tragedy should have been celebration like what the British did in 1947.

Flag lowered.

View attachment 233944

Chat and laugh while the flag goes down and the bands played "God save the Queen"..

64e785b5-aab7-4280-a3b3-149309315b30WallpAutoWallpaper2.JPG

Then leave like you did a favour.

9fc4f419-735a-494a-9a2c-e4c80385878aWallpAutoWallpaper2.JPG

Instead we lost 55,000 men and got this.

images

That is the differance betwen empire makers ( British ) and colonial slaves ( us ). Until we learn the tack and mental agility to run countries we will continue make mistake after mistake.
Oh my god,
Sir we think so much alike.This is what I have been trying to say for so long(if you read my earlier posts as well), that having east wing with India in between was itself obvious that could lead to such scenario.
British raj nor bharat ever thought that Pakistan could survive for such long time. However, every tragedy we passed by had made us stronger to understand and encounter challenges.However,civil regime's careless attitude remains a thorn to be removed.
Regards

Last edited:
There was another issue. Just in 1970, a cyclone stuck East Pakistan and the West Pakistani response can charitably be called indifferent. Anyhow, it was a stupid idea to begin with - 2 wings separated by 3000 odd kms.

Pakistan has tried much worse. We have experience in this matter. Besides, as enemy countries this is what we are supposed to do. That's how arch rivals act. Just that we learnt some lessons better than the PA and ISI.

Every Pakistani analysis of 1971 war has a convenient selective amnesia on Pakistan's support for NE militants in 1960s

which significantly destabilized NE and not surprisingly a major reason for India to support Insurgency in East Pakistan.

March 1966 Mizo National Front uprising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sy9uz4.jpg

Additionally, while the population of East P was higher than West P - there were more Muslims in the West. The higher population of East P - was due to the significant Hindu population there. It annoyed the West Pakistanis even more.

Every Pakistani analysis of 1971 war has a convenient selective amnesia on Pakistan's support for NE militants in 1960s

which significantly destabilized NE and not surprisingly a major reason for India to support Insurgency in East Pakistan.

sy9uz4.jpg

I did not know this. Quite an impressive de-classified report. Sounds so much like a cold war novel.

Thank you for that article. A question to the panel:

What lessons can be learned from the 1971 debacle to be applied to present day Pakistan in order to prevent a repeat of the tragedy?

If Pakistan have learned something from History, we would have been in much better position today that we are in ,,,

So what happens to people who forget history?

Nothing , they keep on Experimenting on Pakistan and its Foreign policy , creating Political forces to counter each other , taking matters in hand by force ... probably you see the image in Baluchistan and Karachi

Nothing , they keep on Experimenting on Pakistan and its Foreign policy , creating Political forces to counter each other , taking matters in hand by force ... probably you see the image in Baluchistan and Karachi

The phrase "condemned to repetition" comes to mind.

sy9uz4.jpg

Can I have source for this report please. I maybe wrong but the language ( synytax ) is not American English but appears more South Asian English.

@Slav Defence Which confirms the age old adage "great minds think alike". :-)

Back
Top Bottom