What's new

The Ball is in your Court Sir

A million is small potatoes.

All signs of immaculate management and discipline, right?

Well, lets not all jump on the jibes bandwagon...

But the fact is.. any attempts at accountability for that will lead to interference in "national security".... that is the Holy curtain they can hide beyond that the politicians lack.

Well, lets not all jump on the jibes bandwagon...

But the fact is.. any attempts at accountability for that will lead to interference in "national security".... that is the Holy curtain they can hide beyond that the politicians lack.

No Sir, I am not making any jibes, no Sir, none at all.

Because even with all these examples, the accountability for the military is still much better than that for any civilian enterprise. That may not be saying much, but it is true.

Of course, overall for the whole country, it is only bad news and worse news, but we are all okay with that state of affairs.

No Sir, I am not making any jibes, no Sir, none at all.

Because even with all these examples, the accountability for the military is still much better than that for any civilian enterprise. That may not be saying much, but it is true.

Of course, overall for the whole country, it is only bad news and worse news, but we are all okay with that state of affairs.

Come to think of it.. there should be no jibes at all by you. You are in the country right now.
but I would not worry, as long as you are in the country .. your "file" is closed.. it opens the minute you leave it...like mine.

And yes, the internal accountability within the military is still very high and getting away with things before you get the third star is very difficult. Once you do get it, authorizing a new steel gate for 200000 rs is no problem.. so what if it really costs no more than 20000. Thats not to say that there are not checks going on when that happens.. the MI keeps an eye there as well.. files on the nightly soirees of sons of generals.. to such activities are all there. But when the Judge, Jury and executioner is being investigated.. there is little more than "Psst.. be careful" that can be said to them.

Hi,

Again atypical worthless and emotional type of article----if the defence donates the civilian sector will swallow it all.

Don't you pakistanis get it by now----it is you that is the problem----your character is the issue---and not the shortage of anything---or the military expense---it is your character at stake over here.

Make the civilians do an honest year's labor and then you can see the result----. You paks are not addressing the core issues----look into the mirror---fix your core problems---everything else will fall into place.

" Ball is your court "----my foot---what a BS.

Hi,

Again atypical worthless and emotional type of article----if the defence donates the civilian sector will swallow it all.

Don't you pakistanis get it by now----it is you that is the problem----your character is the issue---and not the shortage of anything---or the military expense---it is your character at stake over here.

Make the civilians do an honest year's labor and then you can see the result----. You paks are not addressing the core issues----look into the mirror---fix your core problems---everything else will fall into place.

" Ball is your court "----my foot---what a BS.

hail the mighty 'used car salesman' has spoken...! go get a life...!

@Oscar Never mind the hidden corruption, about 20%, or just under two billion dollars' worth, is the military's share of unpaid electrical bills as part of the circular debt.

This is mere horseshyt, i am sure you would give us details regarding your claim. Sure, military has to pay back certain bills like any other govt dept, but the real question to be asked is 'Is the military unwilling to pay these bills (because it is either short on funds or as in the case of other depts, it has decided to go begairat)?

You need to understand the mechanics of circular debt; is the circular debt there because of procedural delays or is it there as no one is willing to pay back?

If th case is formar, then it is none-issue. Because these bills will always get paid when they will get 'due'. They delay is because of late issue of bills and related procedures. i.e. if i have to pay my electric for the month of May, but i am getting the bill slip in August, ofcourse the payment will be delayed, but the point to note is that it WILL get paid, and thus there isnt any issue. Now, why are there delays in issuance of bill slips, i shall explain later.

Now in the second case i.e. a dept will not pay bills either becuase it has no money, or it dont care fo the reciepient govt dept is a worrisome issue. Now most of the govt depts falls in thi category. The DC office will not pay telephine bills, and then the connection has to be removed etc etc.

Now why i say that not all of the pending military bills falls in this category:

- Electricity is free for operational units i.e. they have to pay no bills unless they cross the free units limit. In that case every unut pays the bill from its own pocket through their private fund generated by deductions from Officers and Soldiers.

It is impossible that a bill is left unpaid because a unit cannot move out and the CO cannot post out unless these bills are cleared.

Two, most of the pending bills you claim to be part of circukar debt are to be paid by uniforms who are residing in military accomodtaions. Then again it is nothing to worry about that all these bill gets cleared one way or the other because a solier will not get his pension if retires without clearing his bills, an officer cannot claim his pay on posting to the new station unless he has rceive an NDC (No Demand Certifacte) from MES and you cant chnage your house if your bills are not cleared.

Now te questions, if that's how the bills gets cleared, then why the debt? The reason is the procedural delays and exegencies of service. Here's how:

Soldiers dont reside in homes for decades, my father lives in a house he bought 40 years back, he has re and de constructed it many times but the house is there so is the occupants and the electric, gas meteres. Whereas, i once had to change houses thrice in a year - my unit moved to another station and i had to occupy a new house at the new station, after 4 months i had to go for a certain course and i had to vacate my house and occupy a new one at the station where i had to undergo the course, on returning, i again occupied a new house at the same location, and just after another 4.5 months i got posted out and then went into a new house approx 900 km away from where my unit was.

Now, see how difficult it would be to keepmtrack of my bills and pay them? But thus shifting dont have any affect on bill payment, only that because of frequent mivement, the bills get delayed, on because they are delibertely prepared late, and two the bill might get paid at the new station because i left the previous one before the bilk was issued.

Moreover, as per the rule, electric bills are issued to soldiers with a delay of approx 2 months i.e. if i had occupied a house in Jan, i will get my Jan electric bill somewhere in Mar or Apr and there on i will be getting my bilks on monthly basis but that bill will not be of the current month. This is because that at any one point of time THOUSANDS of officers and men are either occuoyung or vacating thir accomodations and there are fixed dates on which a ocuoation return shall be processed even if it is received before that date, that is to streamline the procedure or else you would one clerk in MES for each officers and soldier to look into their bills.

Also, normally we have to pay our bills through our pays, they get deducted in our pay slips, now pays are prepared between 5 to 10 of each previous month, and if i am posted out on on 15th and taken along my Last Pay Certificate, the bill will be received on 25th cannot be deducted in my pay, so i shall pay the bill on Treasury Receipt DIRECTLY to National Bank at my new station and thus a delay will be there an thus people like you will quote it as 'cercular debt'!

So, the issue is that the so called circukar debt is not similar to that of the civilain sector where a civilian resident wont pay the bill because he consider it to be 'more' and a civilian govt setup wilk not pay the bill because they have either gone begairat or dont have funds (mostly because of corruption) to pay the bill.

So, even if the bills get paid or will be paid in any case, but are delayed only for days (as opposed to years when we comapre them with civilian insititions), they will get shown in audit reports and 'cercular debts', and thus you people can try to have a field day with it. #Fail

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ball is in your Court Sir…..!

dated 15th June 2013

The allocation for Defense in the Federal Budget announced on 13th June is a whopping PKR 627 Billion or USD 6.27 Billion. According to media reports, the division of the defense allocation for the Army (PKR 301 Billion), Air force (PKR 142 Billion) and Navy (PKR 62 Billion) which comes to PKR 505 Billion, leaving PKR 122 Billion for Procurement & Development Funds.

It is assumed that the larger amounts allocated for the tri-services is for salaries and day-to-day operations of the three services, leaving the PKR 122 Billion or USD 1.22 Billion for procurement of new weapons system or continuation of current weapons programs.

We have also being reading in the media and press that the Procurement & Development plans of the Pakistan Military is facing acute delays due to unavailability of resources. Programs such as the JFT Block 2 production, the procurement of 6 Chinese Type 39 Submarines, the expansion of nuclear capable Missile Systems like the Hatf Land based and Air Launched Cruise Missiles are some of the high profile items on the military’s list.

We have also read in the media and press, the statement of the CoAS, General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani that ‘we need to create a balance in our requirements of funds for development and defense of our country”.

The country is facing extremely acute energy crisis and successive governments have not been able to pay off the circular debt which has reached PKR 505 Billion (USD 5.05 Billion). The new government of PML-N has avowed to pay off the circular debt within 60 days which may be a herculean task to accomplish in the first place; however they remain clueless on how to manage the circular debt for once and all. The debt balloons when the government institutions fail to pay their energy bills to the power generation companies; it balloons when the power generation companies fail to pay off the furnace oil supplier; it balloons when the furnace oil suppliers fail to retire their LC’s opened on oil producing companies & the oil producing companies refuse to supply until the previous outstanding’s are cleared and the vicious circle continues as it has for the last 5-7 years; this debt is further compounded by the fact that the local industry, common consumers also fail to pay their energy bills on time; there is power theft and power losses due to the fact the distribution line system is obsolete.

So what does all this have to do with the Defense Budget?

As stated earlier by the CoAS and “actions should speak louder than words”, the Pakistan Military should voluntarily surrender the PKR 122 Billion back to the government coffers so that it can tackle the debilitating energy crisis. The Pakistan Military’s Development & Procurement plans are already delayed and may have to be cancelled if the energy crisis is not tackled on a ‘war footing’.

According to some economic experts, tackling the energy crisis is even more important than tackling the militancy and terrorism problem facing the country today.

The energy crisis has crippled the industrial and agricultural economy of the country. As an example, Pakistan is an agricultural based economy and the textile sector plays a huge role in the country’s yearly export earnings. The mills and looms are shutdown; the daily wagers are out of jobs because of acute power and gas shortages. In short the mills run 2 days a week…!!!

Due to the energy crisis, Pakistan is losing 5-6% of its yearly GDP. With all its problems Pakistan GDP growth rate is a partly 3.8% per annum – Fix the energy problem (read Circular debt) – the economy can churn at the rate of 8-9% per annum.

And if people pay their due share of taxes (that’s for another time and place) and the energy problem is fixed – the economy grows at a healthy pace and rate – there is more money in the government coffers – it will lead to more allocations for the defense sector – it would mean that the Pakistan Military’s Development & Procurement plans come back on track – more money to tackle the militancy problem - and to quote our CoAS “create a balance between requirements of defense & the economy”.

The ball is in your court Sir!

FM17

Few things
1- The austerity can also be symbolic. Like I said it before that procurement is essential since it helps forces to maintain or enhance their combat capabilities but non-procurement benefits could be reduced, even if forces could reduce 10% of their current expenses (which is not an ultra-challenging task), they could save an whopping 50 billion PKR.
2- The expected drag of electricity crisis on Pakistan's GDP is around 2%
3- Economy can't grow at 8-9% straight away, If we are able to achieve 6% at the end of 3-4 years, that would itself be a great achievement.

I think returning 122 Billion Rupees would be a bad idea because;

1. There is no way to ensure that this money will be used really for this purpose.

2. Government has no plan to make a framework capable of preventing this circular debt problem again in future. By looking at the reasons behind it, it can be said that it will come again to haunt us. (reason Corruption)

3. If Power Sector circular debt is problem and government is in dire need of Rs. 500 billion to address it, one must ask the government why and how on earth we still have a Rs. 1150 billion PSDP (Public Sector Development Program) and schemes like laptops etc? ( I am afraid a big share of this massive amount will go to corrupt leader's pockets in form of kickbacks etc. in these development projects)

4. Maintaining a conventional parity with traditional enemy is critical and more so when we are in active state of war within our borders against foreign funded local insurgent/terrorist movements.

5.Instead of returning money back, building army's own small to medium power houses and selling the electricity to WAPDA will be more effective for both army and country.

Just few thoughts!

Because the narrative sticks that no one is capable of saving Pakistan but them. Enforced not just by the military since the feudal have been part and participle with them. And to blame it all on the military is also incorrect circumspection. Ayub was not appointed Chief by the military but by Iskandar Mirza.. albeit he deceived his way into command. Iskandar mirza however, was generally an honest man even if his policies were incorrect. Because the Muslim league had been as such a collection of opportunistic men save a few.. it came to show right after partition.

Ayub's rule however, forever enslaved the military to the feudal concept of appointing peers and sycophantic toadies in high command as compared to meritorious people. The problem being, that the very people(who really don't know any better) who elect these feudal are also the same who call the Army back after the feudal rule. The Army who in all earnest are cultured from inception into regarding "bloody civilians" as inept welcome the chance to do their "patriotic" duty..but eventually the idea of an identifiable 3% symbol of the population calling the shots for the rest at every turn does not sit well with even the general simpletons who call themselves Pakistanis.. and then the cycle of handing power over to the other 3% who aren't easily that identifiable as a symbol starts again.
However, while there is little chance of changing the 3% in uniform in composition and culture.. regardless of meager increases in education and communication.. there is a chance of changing(or supplanting) the 3% of these civilian leadership heads.
As witnessed in the elections, this does not happen overnight.. but it does happen. Regardless of the cesspool that is the content of Pakistani media and "Tajziakaar" there is still enough accountability visible there to spur certain sections on. Hence even if it is a slow and tedious process it does take effect. Moreover, these changes also effect the military.. the Lt of today is not the Lt of the 90's. He has a FB account.. where he does browse pages.. and hears narratives from what's taught at Kakul and whats read elsewhere.
He too sees Hamid Mir on Capital talk and it does effect him in whatever way it may. He too does, at some point.. feel frustrated at Radio's that dont work in valleys and is more likely to give that feedback or let other's know.
Wajahat Khans program was not banned because it showed classified equipment.. it was banned because it showed certain frustrations and deficiencies with the equipment given.. it showed that regardless of whether you call them "Deemak" or whether they consider you "inept".. these people are more and more connected to the general population and a part and participle of it.
So they are also prone to the very same feelings of frustration.. and temptations that exist within the rest of the nation.

They too get frustrated by the game of shadows that plays out and secretly have their doubts. But something goes terribly wrong when they hit the three stars because they suddenly get completely disconnected from their roots. Some don't.. but a lot of them do(along with their families.. which is a phenomenon common to all Pakistanis). And that world, the mystery of it.. hidden behind walls that enshrine mansions and golf courses... with a motorcade housed within them along with constant electricity..is what invites the envy..and ire of those that work 9-5. Because to them, the Feudal is still someone you can at some point.. get someone angry on..at some point you can get that man to answer for his wrong doings or at least make him feel threatened at some point.
Here, are the proverbial gods among us..Olympians who seem to only answer to Zeus and no one else. This Olympus also has the upper hand on the other one and regularly boots the other one out.. among with other powers such as taking over any land it wishes(such as beautiful hilltops in Tourist areas...but then again.. the civvies are too inept and corrupt to be able to take care and enjoy it.)
Yet.. thanks to the British and some genuinely good officers(Thank the almighty that we have a volunteer Army) the system for one Olympus is still very intact for all its shortcomings and has checks and balances that(at least for the bottom to middle rung) works acceptably to de-thorn and de-lice its composition to ensure that some of the best do come out front and ensure that professionalism is maintained to an acceptable degree where it counts. Which is why you will still be more eager to invest in D.H.A than anywhere else(even though the idea of prime land being taken over would irk most people) and generally do feel a sense of comfort when the military takes over since(for a certain time anyway)..things seems to run as they should.

So within our two realms of the gods.. that *** the Margalla hills and one in Pindi.. are those that we cannot seem to change or make answer no matter who we vote for. After all, lets be fair.. we know that it matters little to the laborer in lalamusa whom he votes for as long as he gets his two rotis and sabzi.. and his pedestal room fan runs once in a while.. He cares little beyond that little circle of his apart from table talk and I for one would rather not have him given the right to vote. Those who do care, who think , who ponder(as pointed even in the Quran).. have the true assessment of stakes and appreciation of them. So unless these people go out and make informed, intelligent.. and non Bradrana decisions.. there is little chance for things to improve overnight...slow and steady...with increasing education is the only way.
Because even in 30% educated population.. there will always be the 10% parhe likhe jahil who are found in abundance voting on the basis of short term gains or for their uncle.. content with sending ten emails out and considering it halal work. There are those who only join an organization like SPD because its secure 45k package and house.. along with little actual work needed apart from signing files discussing pithy female forms while having a smoke in the tea breaks. So within these people and rest of the "Ghulam" class(A look at the history of the Arabic word Ghulam will reveal a lot the brilliance of what Islamic teachings on Slavery really are).. there is still a potential for change.. and that is to end the "Ghulami" to ignorance..that can be done through education AND exposure.

So do not lose hope yet, in democracy, the power of education ..and the Fauj.. Because part of the 55% turnout were some 5-600 k votes that came from the Military.. because they are not alien, not a different breed as much as we and they stress. They are a part of Pakistan and have as much to lose as the rest of us. They too have differing views.. and differing intellect...and differing levels of honesty and dedication. And they too get to feel loadshedding now almost as much as the salaried class does.

I joked with all of my friends whose fathers are in the military.. that you can tell Pakistan is in bad shape.. when the Staff car goes CNG.
Oscar, you state the obvious. You also seem confused. You make your prose spicy by using phrases like 'bloody civilians' and then try to sugar coat it by suggesting that soldiers to belong to the human race, a fact i have been retiriating since long. You i know that they come from the same households as other Pakistanis, the only difference is tht oScar went to UK, but his neiguboured appared in ISSB and got recommended. You suggested that when the same Lt hits three star, he undergoes something which is still alien to me, and he starts nibbling on the resources.

i ask you, would your expenses remain the same when after your eduction from UK you return back as a SVP of some bank? Because mine didnt. Things changed since i was a cadet. The only thing that stayed there was them Dunhills which costed Rs 50 back then, and now 120.

Whatever resources which are placed at the disposal of a 3 star is by the state, similar to that of a Commissioner or a SVP. A 'shagird' or chota who had to lay under the vehical in 90s owns a computerised workshop today and lives well. The commonality is the hardwork, education and professiinalism tht all tese 3 stars, Commissionees and the mechanics had to get 'promoted'.

Now misuse of resources wehther belonging to the state in case of a 3 star or the company in case of a SVP should be questioned, which you dont seem to as your focus always is on uniforms or the govt dept you had the experience to sit/work in.

You seem to have issues with golf courses, but dont seem to bother the clubs that cost millions in membership alone. In my opinion both are justified, the formar constructed without burdening te state, the latter by the pockets of the rich. The only diffrence i see is, one, the uniforms who go there have earned it through their commission and then constant hardwork, wheras most of the civilians were able to take membership from the money thy had inherited which was accumulated by the hardwork of their forefathers. Two, golf courses can provide a venue to a Captain for his marriage who belonged o Toba Tek Singh, whereas a civilian from TTS might never see past the walls of the elite clubs owned by other elites.

You also fail to mention the CEOs and Chairmen who would change their Prados on 6 monthly basis, the cabinet members purchsing news cars whnever th govt changes and the offiial residences being renovted on every new occupant.

Lastly, i do agree that education and awareness is the only ante dote available to us. These elections proved it. Media played it role well.

And to end, i must tell you tht staff cars went CNG well back in 2003, though they are no more

Why don't you guys invest in highly efficient solar panels?

See for example, in the state of Gujarat, we recently opened Asia's largest solar power plant which is to generate 600 MW and will progressively increase in its production capacity.

Check this out:

Asia's Largest solar power plant in Gujarat

You also have large swathes of dry, scorching hot, sun-roasted land with our Rajasthan and Gujarat state borders. Why don't you invest in them? 600 MW is better than nothing and can be increased over years with constant investment. Also, the winds are extremely strong in the Kach area (also sharing a border with you, so you can invest in windmills.

There are multiple substitutes which you can adopt.

This is mere horseshyt, i am sure you would give us details regarding your claim. Sure, military has to pay back certain bills like any other govt dept, but the real question to be asked is 'Is the military unwilling to pay these bills (because it is either short on funds or as in the case of other depts, it has decided to go begairat)?

You need to understand the mechanics of circular debt; is the circular debt there because of procedural delays or is it there as no one is willing to pay back?

If th case is formar, then it is none-issue. Because these bills will always get paid when they will get 'due'. They delay is because of late issue of bills and related procedures. i.e. if i have to pay my electric for the month of May, but i am getting the bill slip in August, ofcourse the payment will be delayed, but the point to note is that it WILL get paid, and thus there isnt any issue. Now, why are there delays in issuance of bill slips, i shall explain later.

Now in the second case i.e. a dept will not pay bills either becuase it has no money, or it dont care fo the reciepient govt dept is a worrisome issue. Now most of the govt depts falls in thi category. The DC office will not pay telephine bills, and then the connection has to be removed etc etc.

Now why i say that not all of the pending military bills falls in this category:

- Electricity is free for operational units i.e. they have to pay no bills unless they cross the free units limit. In that case every unut pays the bill from its own pocket through their private fund generated by deductions from Officers and Soldiers.

It is impossible that a bill is left unpaid because a unit cannot move out and the CO cannot post out unless these bills are cleared.

Two, most of the pending bills you claim to be part of circukar debt are to be paid by uniforms who are residing in military accomodtaions. Then again it is nothing to worry about that all these bill gets cleared one way or the other because a solier will not get his pension if retires without clearing his bills, an officer cannot claim his pay on posting to the new station unless he has rceive an NDC (No Demand Certifacte) from MES and you cant chnage your house if your bills are not cleared.

Now te questions, if that's how the bills gets cleared, then why the debt? The reason is the procedural delays and exegencies of service. Here's how:

Soldiers dont reside in homes for decades, my father lives in a house he bought 40 years back, he has re and de constructed it many times but the house is there so is the occupants and the electric, gas meteres. Whereas, i once had to change houses thrice in a year - my unit moved to another station and i had to occupy a new house at the new station, after 4 months i had to go for a certain course and i had to vacate my house and occupy a new one at the station where i had to undergo the course, on returning, i again occupied a new house at the same location, and just after another 4.5 months i got posted out and then went into a new house approx 900 km away from where my unit was.

Now, see how difficult it would be to keepmtrack of my bills and pay them? But thus shifting dont have any affect on bill payment, only that because of frequent mivement, the bills get delayed, on because they are delibertely prepared late, and two the bill might get paid at the new station because i left the previous one before the bilk was issued.

Moreover, as per the rule, electric bills are issued to soldiers with a delay of approx 2 months i.e. if i had occupied a house in Jan, i will get my Jan electric bill somewhere in Mar or Apr and there on i will be getting my bilks on monthly basis but that bill will not be of the current month. This is because that at any one point of time THOUSANDS of officers and men are either occuoyung or vacating thir accomodations and there are fixed dates on which a ocuoation return shall be processed even if it is received before that date, that is to streamline the procedure or else you would one clerk in MES for each officers and soldier to look into their bills.

Also, normally we have to pay our bills through our pays, they get deducted in our pay slips, now pays are prepared between 5 to 10 of each previous month, and if i am posted out on on 15th and taken along my Last Pay Certificate, the bill will be received on 25th cannot be deducted in my pay, so i shall pay the bill on Treasury Receipt DIRECTLY to National Bank at my new station and thus a delay will be there an thus people like you will quote it as 'cercular debt'!

So, the issue is that the so called circukar debt is not similar to that of the civilain sector where a civilian resident wont pay the bill because he consider it to be 'more' and a civilian govt setup wilk not pay the bill because they have either gone begairat or dont have funds (mostly because of corruption) to pay the bill.

So, even if the bills get paid or will be paid in any case, but are delayed only for days (as opposed to years when we comapre them with civilian insititions), they will get shown in audit reports and 'cercular debts', and thus you people can try to have a field day with it. #Fail

Thank you for such a detailed explanation, Sir @Xeric , which can be summarized as follows:

The power consumption of the Military, in both official and private capacities, enjoys an unlimited interest-free floating line of credit that counts against the Accounts Receivable of the Power Supply Companies.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation, Sir @Xeric , which can be summarized as follows:

The power consumption of the Military, in both official and private capacities, enjoys an unlimited interest-free floating line of credit that counts against the Accounts Receivable of the Power Supply Companies.

Allah aapko bhi aisi he 'enjoyment' atay farmaye....Ameen!

Allah aapko bhi aisi he 'enjoyment' atay farmaye....Ameen!

Unfortunately Sir, civilians must pay power bills as they accrue, or late charges and fines leading up to termination of service is the end point, and hence your prayer does not apply.

By the way, is the power tariff for the Army the same or exempt from taxes that civilians pay?

Unfortunately Sir, civilians must pay power bills as they accrue, or late charges and fines leading up to termination of service is the end point, and hence your prayer does not apply.

Sir, why dont you use your brain? Delays are only accepted if:

- The individual was away due to service reason on a bonafide duty that too sanctioned by MS Branch GHQ, being on leave or showing beghariti doesnt count.

- The first bill is delayed by the MES itself for the reasons already mentioned by me, the bills that follows are issued and paid up regularity, although you dont necessarily pay May's bill in June. You may be paying the May's bill July, June's bill in August and so on.

So no 'enjoyment' here. Use your skull.

By the way, is the power tariff for the Army the same or exempt from taxes that civilians pay?

Why would it be exempted? It's the same. Are you really that stupid?

Back
Top Bottom