What's new

The Atlantic: Refugees Eke Out a Hard Life in India

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Though, the article covers several refugee nationalities in India, a large portion talk about Afghan refugees in India.

Perhaps Pakistan can learn from the Indian example of how not extend magnanimity foolishly as Pakistan has done to Afghan refugees in Pakistan.

original text here

Wazirabad village is where New Delhi, India’s capital, begins to fade away. A main street, unpaved and uneven, cuts through its heart, spewing narrow lanes choked in dust and lined with open drains.

Lane No. 9 in this outlying northern settlement on the banks of the Yamuna river leads to the conspicuous-sounding Afghani chowk, literally Afghan crossroads -- so called because of the number of Afghan refugees who live nearby.

At this stark intersection of four mud paths, Gul Din Khan walks slowly by a small row of shops, their colorful signs in Urdu, not Hindi as is usual in this part of northern India.

“The violence in Afghanistan got too much. I just had to leave,” Khan said.

Khan, who left in 1988, isn’t the only one to have left, nor the first. Numerous kameez-clad gentlemen lounge by the storefronts, smoking and chatting in the afternoon heat. In all, more than 9,000 Afghans have fled here, either during the war with the Soviet Union in the 70s, or during the most recent conflict, which began in 2001.

Though the recent fighting in Afghanistan hastened their exodus, Delhi has long been a key destination for Afghans on the run.

For centuries, wave after wave of military men, craftsmen, and peasants have poured into this city on India’s Gangetic plains.

“Delhi was home to a body of people who felt that they had very little opportunity in what is today modern-day Afghanistan,” said Sunil Kumar, a professor of history at the University of Delhi.

Indeed, between 1206 and 1526, a string of rulers ― Mamluk, Khilji, Tughlaq, Sayyid, and the Lodi dynasties ― with Central Asian roots ruled Delhi and formed what is now known, in historical parlance, as the Delhi Sultanate.

Delhi, Kumar explains, wasn’t merely a refugee city. It was a haven ― a sanctuary of Islam ― when the Mongol hordes were ravaging kingdom after kingdom.

Afghans make up just a fraction of the massive overall refugee population in Delhi. After the partition of India in 1947, some 10 million people moved from India to Pakistan, or vice-versa, partaking in the largest human migration in recorded history. A million died trying to make it across their respective borders.

In the six decades since independence, these men and women have rebuilt their lives, some more successfully than others. Kumar’s colleague at the University of Delhi’s history department is Upinder Singh; her father, Manmohan Singh, is a Sikh who left his home in Pakistan’s Punjab for India as the British exited the subcontinent -- and he’s also India’s prime minister.

Today, Delhi once again finds itself at the heart of refugee movements in South Asia. But in the din of India’s celebrated economic rise and its efforts to bring millions of its citizens out of poverty, its urban refugee population has been largely forgotten.

At stake are the lives of Gul Din Khan and about 30,000 others, by most conservative estimates. There are 23,500 refugees and asylum seekers in Delhi registered with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), consisting of more than 11,000 from Burma, 9,000 Afghans, and the 7,000 Tibetans that the Dalai Lama’s government-in-exile estimates live in Delhi.

With continued threats to their lives and livelihoods back home, the refugees that live here struggle to make a living in a hostile metropolis.

There are few who took a more difficult path here than Gul Din Khan.

The Russian invasion in 1979 brought a Soviet-backed Afghan government in direct conflict with Mujahedeen rebels, trapping locals in the middle.

“I had to flee. My brother had to leave home, too,” he said. “But I have no news of him, or of my parents. I don’t know if my sisters got married. I don’t even know if any of them are alive.”

Khan hasn’t returned to Afghanistan since he left 25 years ago with a little more than the $80 that his father gave him to find a way out. It wasn’t enough to buy a ride out of Afghanistan on a car or a bus, so much of his journey was on foot and donkey-back.

Khan’s journey took him through the mountains between Paktika and Waziristan, then down half the length of Pakistan’s Indus highway to Karachi. After that, he spent time in Pakistan’s Hyderabad region, and finally went by camel into western India’s Gujarat province. It is a path that is nearly impossible to take today -- the border between India and Pakistan is now heavily militarized.

Yet there are other roads that remain open, such as India’s forested northeastern frontier with Burma, for instance.

Ning Khen Cing, now a shy 21-year-old, had just come home from school for lunch in August 2008 when five soldiers walked into her house in Kale township, in western Burma’s Sagaing division.

“I didn’t know what was going on. They asked me where my father and older brother were, but I had been at school all day, so I told them that I didn’t know. They didn’t believe me,” Cing said.

Earlier that day, the local police had caught her father, a farmer, with an anti-government newsletter, which Cing insists wasn’t his, while checking his tractor. Before they could arrest him, her father ran toward the Indian border, and her eldest brother who was with him also fled. The brother’s whereabouts remain unknown.

“My mother and my younger brother left directly … for the border. Another younger brother and I followed the next day,” Cing said. The border crossing at India’s Mizoram state was just 120 kilometers away from Kale township.

They walked into Mizoram, as have many of the 100,000 Chins, the term for one of the largest ethnic minorities in Burma, who now live there in exile. “There was security, but they didn’t even notice because we weren’t carrying anything with us,” she explained. “And anyway, we look like the Mizo people.”

Eventually they made their way to Bodella, on Delhi’s western edge, where much of the 11,000-strong Chin refugee community lives. A year later, Cing’s father joined them in their small rented room after making the long journey himself.

“I don’t know how my father reached here,” admits Cing, now the main breadwinner for the family of five with her odd jobs translating and working shifts at a call center.

Refugees in India have no legal right to work, so many are forced to take up low-paying casual work.

“The future? If I’m still here in Delhi, I don’t have any future. Eating, sleeping and just earning from temporary jobs,” she said.

In the fly-infested alleyways of Bodella, the Burmese enclave in West Delhi, Padal and Nu Ning, a Chin refugee couple in their 50s, were evicted from the small room that they rented because they couldn’t pay the rent.

Padal, a farmer from Faltang village near Tedim township in western Burma, had to flee after the Tatmadaw, the Burmese military, accosted his son and raped his daughter-in-law. Like thousands of other Chins, the couple made for the Mizoram border before finally arriving in Delhi.

Now, Padal can’t even work as a day laborer because of the injuries he sustained at the hands of the military. The doctors in Delhi, whom he can access through UNHCR, have recommended near-complete bed rest, given him an elaborate back-brace, and prohibited him from lifting anything heavy.

But what his wife, Nu Ning, earns by knitting is not nearly enough to pay the monthly rent and buy three meals a day.

The couple didn’t qualify UNHCR’s subsistence allowance, which is usually only offered to unaccompanied minors and families without any earning members. UNHCR officials say that the assistance, typically in the range of $40 per month, is approved on a case-by-case basis.

Homeless and barely employed, Padal and Nu Ning were rescued by their church, which now provides them housing and some meals.

Despite the wave of democratization that swept through Burma in the past year, many of the 100,000 or so Chin refugees from Western Burma don’t wish to return home because they fear that the military will continue to harass them. Many of them continue to live in Mizoram, in India’s northeastern frontier, with little access to the UNHCR or other NGOs. The population is largely undocumented and not officially recognized as refugees.

In Bodella, where most Chin refugees eventually seek shelter, Dr. Tint Swe’s clinic offers free healthcare twice a week. Swe shares his name, ironically, with Burma’s last “censor-in-chief,” the man once responsible for all that was published under the military junta.

India is neither a signatory to the 1951 UN Convention on Refugees, which provides the legal foundation for the UNHCR’s functioning and for the definition of refugees, nor does it have a refugee law.

What’s more, a combination of the Foreigners Act of 1946 and the Indian Citizenship Act of 2003 makes it nearly impossible for any refugee there to seek long-term employment. Refugee cards are not sufficient ID for most institutions, including most schools and universities. Tibetans are an exception -- the Indian government issues them resident permits, which are to be renewed annually.

But for all the challenges that Delhi throws at its refugees, some do benefit from living in the capital city of an economic powerhouse.

Hameed Ghiasy, a 21-year-old Afghan musician, knows this better than most. He started singing with his father at soirees and weddings in Afghanistan during the few years he spent there as a teenager.

The oldest son of the Ghiasy family wanted an education when he came to India, something that never happened because he didn’t have the required identification documents for admissions.

Instead, he found himself in a band called Yuva Beats, today comprising three fellow Afghan refugees, including his younger brother, and two Indians he met at a music school where he once taught.

Backed by the UNHCR, the band found some success, singing initially at events the agency organized, then expanding to performances at local colleges.

Now, Hameed wants to cut an album, and from a makeshift studio in his family apartment, he puts together songs on a second-hand multi-track recorder.

It’s hardly surprising that he doesn’t want to go back. “India is where the opportunities are,” he said. “I can’t do this in Afghanistan.

Nice article thanks.

I think we should give the Afghan , Tibetan abd Brumese refugees citizenship for whoever is seeking it. 23,500 is not a big number. Of course we should do a background check on all of them and only allow some of them in .Not all.

What say Indians ? You may differ.

Giving citizenships will only encourage more refugees. We have to keep high security on borders to discourage illegal immigration. But those who have already here should be given some legal identifications, treated with respect and given access to employment and education. And they must be registered with UNHCR and provided all they are entitled to as per the provisions of UNHCR.

Nice article thanks.

I think we should give the Afghan , Tibetan abd Brumese refugees citizenship for whoever is seeking it. 23,500 is not a big number. Of course we should do a background check on all of them and only allow some of them in .Not all.

What say Indians ? You may differ.
Nick bhai we can surely grant them citizenship but what about the status of millions of illegal bangladeshis who are currently residing in our country!i mean if we grant these people citizenship then the bangalseshi lungiwalas will literally jump up and down to make us give them citizenship as well and as they are in the millions Congress will have literally no problem in granting them Indian citizenship in exchange for their loyalty to the party.so i think for our own sake we should maintain the status quo otherwise it will only create further unnecessary chaos in this country as we can't grant citizenship to all those illegal bangladeshi lungiwalas at once;)(but then again this is my own personal view)!!

Nick bhai we can surely grant them citizenship but what about the status of millions of illegal bangladeshis who are currently residing in our country!i mean if we grant these people citizenship then the bangalseshi lungiwalas will literally jump up and down to make us give them citizenship as well and as they are in the millions Congress will have literally no problem in granting them Indian citizenship in exchange for their loyalty to the party.so i think for our own sake we should maintain the status quo otherwise it will only create further unnecessary chaos in this country as we can't grant citizenship to all those illegal bangladeshi lungiwalas at once;)(but then again this is my own personal view)!!

Yes, I did not see it from this angle. However, we can get out of this situation by telling the Bangladeshis that they are not refugees in this country, they are illegal immigrants. There is no problem in Bangladesh like there is in Afghanistan, Myanmar and Tibet. The latter are genuine cases of human rights abuse.

But you are Bengali, so you wear lungi?

But you are Bengali, so you wear lungi?
well actually i am an Indian Bengali and we don't wear those peculiar lungis as one looks ridiculous wearing those!we are far more westernized and prefer to wear pyajamas over lungis at anytime plus the Bengali middle-class never had the fascination of wearing those lungis in public.on the other hand lungi is literally the de-facto national dress of Bangladesh and most of the bangaldeshi muslims(converted ones) prefer to wear them as they are pretty cheap and easy to wear...

well actually i am an Indian Bengali and we don't wear those peculiar lungis as one looks ridiculous wearing those!we are far more westernized and prefer to wear pyajamas over lungis at anytime plus the Bengali middle-class never had the fascination of wearing those lungis in public.on the other hand lungi is literally the de-facto national dress of Bangladesh and most of the bangaldeshi muslims(converted ones) prefer to wear them as they are pretty cheap and easy to wear...

You mean there are no poor people in Indian Bengal and everyone is poor in Bangladesh? Last time i checked west Bengal GDP per capita was around $950 and Bangladesh $1044.

So what Indians open defecate and wear cow feces on their head...

Why are you making fun of Bangladeshis

'Your Ancestors might be doing it little mohajir , Indians Don't .

You mean there are no poor people in Indian Bengal and everyone is poor in Bangladesh? Last time i checked west Bengal GDP per capita was around $950 and Bangladesh $1044.
sorry to burst your bubble but the no. of people living below poverty line is much lower than that of Bangaldesh and a majority of the people living below poverty line are illegal immigrants from Bangaldesh.afaik,the GDP per capita of W.B. is around $970 and this low income is again due to the fact that there are millions of illegal immigrants from BD currently residing in W.B. who are dirt poor.the average person from Bengal has a much hight per capita income....

i can also say a lot of things(which you certainly won't like) about your own religion but then again i won't because that's there should be a difference between an islamic fundamentalist and a liberal educated Indian.i rest my case here only....

sorry to burst your bubble but the no. of people living below poverty line is much lower than that of Bangaldesh and a majority of the people living below poverty line are illegal immigrants from Bangaldesh.afaik,the GDP per capita of W.B. is around $970 and this low income is again due to the fact that there are millions of illegal immigrants from BD currently residing in W.B. who are dirt poor.the average person from Bengal has a much hight per capita income....

3-4 million illegal Bengalis are all over India which doesnt effect west Bengal much. After all on per capita basis BD is about $100 richer. Both bengals are overpopulated and to many poor people there. The advantge poor Indian bengalis have that they can move all over India legally while Bangladeshis cant.

Despite all that im quite shocked Bangladesh have surpassed west bengal in per capita income, and it will only increase looking at Indian growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom