What's new

The 1965 war was a monstrously ****

Adux

Reaction score
(II)

I was a junior USAF officer with the office of the US air attache at the old US embassy in Karachi at the time of the 1965 Rann of Kutch battle(s). In fact, I was wounded on an innocent boar hunt in a PIA Land Rover, as the guest of Pakistani friends and business acquaintances who were key PIA officials, as we drove through this area on Jan 31, 1965.

A surprise Indian tank shell blew another Pakistani truck coming towards us in the marsh area, injuring all of us pretty badly.

This said, I have read much of the history of the 1965 India-Pakistan war, but also lived there during that war to have been "on the scene" literally.

This wordy preamble aside, foreign minister Bhutto largely engineered the foolish events that caused or incited the 1965 war. Ayub Khan had to have known what was going on, but his chief ‘goader’, if you will, into this war was Bhutto.

Neither Air Marshal Asghar Khan nor the chief of the Pakistan Navy was involved in the 1965 war pre-planning or early on execution of that war by Mr Bhutto and the then Pakistan Army chief of staff. The air marshal rightly and sanely telephoned his Indian counter-part to immediately do what he and they could to limit this sudden, unexpected hot conflict which was not expected by the air marshal of Pakistan or the chief of the Pakistan Navy.

In my view, living there at the time, I saw and still see Air Marshal Khan as a hero of immense proportions for his brave actions to limit and damp down the start of this ill- fated war as quickly as he could.

The 1965 war was a monstrously **** move on the part of Mr Bhutto and the Pakistani Army chief of staff's who clearly initiated the whole war.
Your letter writer jumps to a wrong conclusion about Air Marshal Ashgar Khan, who I had met several times between 1963 and 1965 at my headquarters in Peshawar, the old US air base there. I was the USAF base liaison officer in the US embassy in Karachi.

In fact, Air Marshal Khan promptly resigned in protest over this unwarranted and wasteful war in 1965 which he had no part in planning or starting. Subsequently, the air marshal entered politics, was elected to your national legislature, was briefly jailed by his political opponent, Mr Bhutto, and then lost elective office. The air marshall has authored over 28 books, some related to this 1965 war, which the letter writer might want to read or re -read to be better informed.

COL (r) GEORGE L. SINGLETON, USAF,
Alabama, USA

http://dawn.com/2007/06/14/letted.htm#1

Ayub’s diaries in perspective

WELL done Sajjad Haider on a brilliant expose of shallow thinking and unsavoury remarks by Gohar Ayub about Air Marshal Asghar Khan in his letter (June 11).

I may like to add for readers interested in knowing that the ghost writer of Ayub’s diaries, Gohar Ayub, got commissioned in the Pakistan Army after graduating from Sandhurst.

He later joined his father’s unit 5 Punjab Regiment (famously ‘Sherdils’) and after rendering service for a couple of years, good old daddy (lovingly Khan Jee) ordered his release, just before the 1965 war, to help his father-in-law in running the industrial and business estate, viz Gandhara Motors.

Similarly, his elder brother, Capt Akhtar Ayub, was asked to resign and take care of their family estate.

Interestingly, Gen Eisenhower, president of the US, during World War II had ordered his son to continue as war correspondent till the end of the war, an example which was worth emulation by the late FM, in his own case.

Another faithful duty performed by a loyal son was the celebration of his father’s victory in rigged elections against Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah when he led supporters in an open jeep and ordered firing on Mohajirs to avenge the dissenting vote.This speaks volumes of the so-called patriotism of the late FM and his progeny, who has the cheek to question the loyalty of Air Marshal Asghar Khan, the founder, the builder and a hero of the Pakistan Air Force.

My father, Gen Yahya Khan, once in a private conversation with Ayub Khan, asked him why he allowed his sons to leave the army, to which he replied: “After all they are kids who have to take care of our family fortunes.”

ALI YAHYA KHAN
Rawalpindi

I also found this very interesting,
From the various books i have read on it, i have come to conclusion on why Pakistan didnt attack when China attacked.

1. Had no prior information of chinese invasion
2. Pakistani force's were going through a modernization spree, 62 would be too early for them.
3. Chinese retreated as fast as they came.
4. Indians because of their "chini-hindi" bhai- bhai sydrome didnt commit even the required amount defensive troops for the 1962. No airforce not mcuh of mechanized forces, which means a significant amount of the numerically superior indian forces where already there to protect the western flank.

Operation Gilbertar started the 1965 war, for which i use the famous words "comedy of errors" war. They had a brilliant plan, but which didnt factor in the various response's by the enemy.Pakistan got the Indians napping and ill-equipped to fight a technologically superior pakistani forces. When Indians did get their act together started pushing the pakistani's back and taking their territories; they mis-judged the pakistani reserve's and didnt push on for a win, and went for peace deal.

Even I thought so, sadly not much views on it.

Clears away a lot of myths propagated by the pakistani army

The '65 war started the rot for Pakistan. Not only had they failed to liberate kashmir, but the nicely developing economy of pakistan took a pounding. Not to forget that the bengalis in east pakistan were viewing this constant wars over kashmir as a neglect of bangladesh.

Back
Top Bottom