What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

Here some better images! ... and I'm still speechless! :cheesy:
Commendable feat indeed.

Can an aircraft body be designed and finalised without a final decision on the engine type? Or has engine been already decided and would be integrated later?

Commendable feat indeed.

Can an aircraft body be designed and finalised without a final decision on the engine type? Or has engine been already decided and would be integrated later?

Well, that's the million $$$ question. the first prototypes are using GE F110 engines and for the serial product an indigenous solution co-developed with a Western partner is sought.

Decades of R&D and heavily investing in infrastructure along the access to western markets and cooperation in various industries along with domestic increasing human resources base is finally paid of.
I am not suprised a bit with those images, all upcoming projects will come with even greater speed then anticipated as their defense industry is matured and came along critical milestones.
This is also good for large chunk of muslim nations and big leverage in international political military relations.
Congrats to Turkyie-

Well, that's the million $$$ question. the first prototypes are using GE F110 engines and for the serial product an indigenous solution co-developed with a Western partner is sought.
there are unconfirmed rumors that they build 5 different prototypes for various engine setups like chinese, russian ones, that would be smart but those are just rumors for now.

Last edited:
How long will it take them to realise that this is not how a defence industry is run and certainly not how you produce effective high tech equipment? They need to let go of their ego and see how far their peers are advancing ahead of Pakistan due to them
Better that I don't say anything.

Turkiye's TF-X 5th generation fighter jet prototype is almost complete
The first prototype of the TF-X — the program is known as Milli Muharip Ucak (MMU, or National Combat Aircraft) in Turkey — is now on the assembly line in Ankara, with the bulk of the fuselage and wings having been brought together. The twin engines are clearly still missing, as are the outward-canted tail fins and the horizontal stabilizers. While the cockpit canopy is seen installed, the cockpit itself is yet to receive its avionics and ejection seat. A placard attached to the spine of the jet reveals that the video was shot on November 21, during an official visit to the assembly line by members of the Turkish defense ministry, defense-industrial agency, and the Turkish Air Force.

Last edited:
Commendable feat indeed.

General Electric F110 for the initial batch, This was chosen b/c Turkey has extensive experience with this engine, b/c its the same one thats used on F-16s that Turkey flies. If Im not mistaken its also license produced by the Tusaş Engine Industries(TEI) in Turkey and there are maintanence facilities for the engine as well.. So great familiarity all around. Their plan is to build a domestic engine that is a drop in replacement for the F110, by TEI based on the F110.

There is also a few alternative plans, to build a next gen engine with Rolls Royce, RR currently does not have an engine in this class, but is trying to develop one for the Tempest, this project is being worked on by a different company KALE.

The third option, according to Ismail Demir(the man in charge of the project) talks were held with an undisclosed third country for the sale of engines, If I had to speculate there are only 2 other countries that have engine of this class, one being the Russian's Saturn izdeliye 30(proposed engine for the Su-57) thought I think this one is unlikely to have been the country, as there are issues between Russia and NATO currently, and things have been sanctioned, on the other hand b/c Russia is quickly seeing itself being frozen out in defense sales, its much more enthusiastic to find partners to coproduce and sell and share high tech like the Izdeliye 30. The more likely source though is China, which does not have the same level of tensions that Russia does, and so far their defense industry exports are not sanctioned. China is currently developing the Xian WS-15 for its J-20.

I have noticed that since the F-35 situation, the Altay, and the t129 engine export waiver for Pakistan situation, Turkey has changed the way it does procurement and platform development, before it used to find the best in class ideal option and plan around that. It picked the f-35, the MTU powerplant for Altay and the LHTEC T800 for the T129, but b/c the F-35 got cancelled over the S-400 procurement, and the MTU powerplant for the Altay for banned b/c of operations in syria against the PKK and the T129 export got denied to Pakistan b/c the US had tensions with pakistan and refused to give the LHTEC T800 export waiver. The Turkish procurement has changed, now every project is designed from the beginning to be able to pivot on contingencies, like the Kizilelma and other Bayraktar drone projects, using several different engines in development, and sourcing the engines from Ukraine(a strategic partner country much less likely to embargo) for the Kizilelma, rather than from the US, UK, France or Germany, which may have more advanced and newer engine designs than Ukraine. Same situation with the Attack Helicopter TAI T929, rather than use the US General Electric T700 powerplant used on the Apache,which is probably the ideal choice, the choice was instead made to go with the TV3-117 used on the Russian Mi-28 that the Ukrainians also produce, whcih won't have the same export hassles or potential for embargo..

There is also a few alternative plans, to build a next gen engine with Rolls Royce, RR currently does not have an engine in this class, but is trying to develop one for the Tempest, this project is being worked on by a different company KALE.
A bold move. Engine is most critical aspect for a fighter class of aircraft. For a passenger aircraft the options of slapping on an engine, give much more leeway in planning the aircraft body and structure.

With an internal engine and very specific dimensions, working on so many prototypes isn’t a very easy decision. I am sure the designers aren‘t fools and must have thought of all the angles. They must be confident about their capability to integrate whatever engine comes their way.
Turkish aviation industry has already proven themselves through successful drone programs. This would be a lot more challenging though.

The fact they they have taken a leap and gone for a 5th gen manned fighter directly proves that - where there is a will, there is a way.

I am sure a lot of aviation aficionados would be looking at this space for further developments.

"There are very big jigs in the back. Due to their shape and size, they could be mounting/hole fixtures that hold the wings and center fuselage together. It can be thought that it is not an F-16 type structural design, but an F-35 type design."

"It's an F-16. It's a separate fuselage, the wings are completely detachable."

"In the F-35, the wings and center fuselage are "built", "drilled", "assembled", etc. together."

@Deino

Looks like it's made of a composite of glass and aluminium and composites
It's extremely shiny it looks like a pearl
Particularly the last 2 pics

It looks amazing in the light no doubt about it

Can some one tell me why is the inside of the place blue ?

nothing, it is the undeside of the fighter.

Talking about jet engine, Muslim world now has both Iran and Turkey as possible supplier. Even Indonesia has already started buying Iranian turbojet

-------------------------

Indonesia's main export commodities to Iran are peanuts, palm oil, motorcycles, wood fiber, and industrial monocarboxylic fatty acids. Meanwhile, Indonesia's main import commodities from Iran are turbo jets and other gas turbines, dates, iron or steel rods, instruments, apparatus and models designed for demonstration purposes, as well as alkaloids.

Turbo jet engines are not used anymore , only Russia and China have been able to develop a turbofan engine outside Western World
India has a lot of experience in developing engines for missiles and satellite launch vehicles and they’re also working on turbofan engines for last 40 years so maybe in 8-10 years India will also develop a 91kN class engine of it’s own and it will be a huge deal because it will make Tejas aircraft sanction proof
And if India really deveopes a NATO grade 120kN engine as they have planned it’s gonna be much more cost effective in comparison to western engines because of the difference in Indian currency and USD
I have never heard of turkish turbofan engine program and I don’t know how possible is it to develop a turbofan engine from scratch in a matter of 6-7 years because every country in the world which owns a turbofan engine took 30-40 years to develop it be it USA , France , UK , Russia , China and Now India.
I don’t know whether Japan has planned to develop a turbofan engine or not but i think they can develop a turbofan engine in less time they have the highly skilled manpower and the money to master this technology

Last edited:
Turbo jet engines are not used anymore , only Russia and China have been able to develop a turbofan engine outside Western World
India has a lot of experience in developing engines for missiles and satellite launch vehicles and they’re also working on turbofan engines for last 40 years so maybe in 8-10 years India will also develop a 91kN class engine of it’s own and it will be a huge deal because it will make Tejas aircraft sanction proof
And if India really deveopes a NATO grade 120kN engine as they have planned it’s gonna be much more cost effective in comparison to western engines because of the difference in Indian currency and USD
I have never heard of turkish turbofan engine program and I don’t know how possible is it to develop a turbofan engine from scratch in a matter of 6-7 years because every country in the world which owns a turbofan engine took 30-40 years to develop it be it USA , France , UK , Russia , China and Now India.
I don’t know whether Japan has planned to develop a turbofan engine or not but i think they can develop a turbofan engine in less time they have the highly skilled manpower and the money to master this technology
What about turbo pop ? Canada china us uk ?

maybe in 8-10 years India will also develop a 91kN class engine of it’s own
We need a flying test bed .
Both India and Turkey to make the engine we can't depend on others for this if mod was intelligent we would have already converted our illushin aircraft.
Do you know which countries have flying test beds ?

I have never heard of turkish turbofan engine program and I don’t know how possible is it to develop a turbofan engine from scratch in a matter of 6-7 years

Turkey isn't starting from scratch, it been developing turbofans and components for several different projects.

Licensed engines[edit]​

Parts and modules[edit]​

Back
Top Bottom