What's new

Ten years on, how they rebuilt Aceh from the mud of the Tsunami

Good Job Brothers Good Job keep it up

Thanks bro, god bless Pakistan.

Mashallah !!

Praise to the lord, we have made it this far. Alhamdulillah...

Thats great!! and have they put a system in place to prevent future tsunami destruction like growing mangroves etc?

I don't know for sure, but from what i know, they rebuild Aceh with future disaster mitigation in mind. Part of it, by growing natural vegetation (mangrove, etc) in the coastal area that will make forest as natural barrier between the ocean and the city.

tsunami-9.jpg

forest as natural barrier

And according to Director of Science from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for Asia Region Hubert J Gijzen, Indonesia has developed the best anti-tsunami warning system in the world. If you ask me whether this statement is true, i am not really sure.

"Ever since a tsunami hit Indonesias Aceh province in 2004, the country has been developing a tsunami warning system, and it has turned out to be the best in the world," Hubert stated during the opening ceremony of the conference. (antaranews.com/en/news/96688/indonesia-better-prepared-for-tsunamis)

I don't know for sure, but from what i know, they rebuild Aceh with future disaster mitigation in mind. Part of it, by growing natural vegetation (mangrove, etc) in the coastal area that will make forest as natural barrier between the ocean and the city.

View attachment 163957
forest as natural barrier

And according to Director of Science from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) for Asia Region Hubert J Gijzen, Indonesia has developed the best anti-tsunami warning system in the world. If you ask me whether this statement is true, i am not really sure.

"Ever since a tsunami hit Indonesias Aceh province in 2004, the country has been developing a tsunami warning system, and it has turned out to be the best in the world," Hubert stated during the opening ceremony of the conference. (antaranews.com/en/news/96688/indonesia-better-prepared-for-tsunamis)

Now thats really great. Theres no better way than to use natural vegetation to break the waves once they hit the land.
Good job!

The Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami, 10 Years Later
Scenes from the devastation and recovery in Aceh.

tsunami1.jpg

Left image: An aerial shot taken from a U.S. Navy Seahawk helicopter from carrier USS Abraham Lincoln shows devastation caused by the Indian Ocean tsunami to the west of Aceh on Jan. 8, 2005, in Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Right image: An aerial view of coastal Lampuuk prior to the 10-year anniversary of the 2004 earthquake and tsunami.

tsunami2.jpg

Left image: A scene of devastation is seen in Banda Aceh, 150 miles from the massive earthquake's epicenter, on Dec. 28, 2004. Bottom Image: People visit the Grand Mosque prior to the 10-year anniversary.

tsunami4.jpg

In Pictures: Aceh Marks 10 Years Since One of the World’s Worst Natural Disasters
travel-impact-newswire.com/2014/10/in-pictures-aceh-marks-10-years-since-one-of-the-worlds-worst-natural-disasters/

Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Ten years after the Dec 26, 2004, which devastated huge swathes of coastline and the city of Banda Aceh, on the northern tip of Indonesia, the city is hosting its first travel show, the Tourism Indonesia Mart & Expo. Attended by 60 buyers from 18 countries and 60 sellers from various parts of Indonesia, TIME 2014 is sending a clear signal to the world that it is time to support the ongoing social and economic revival of this highly productive and strategic part of the world, with great potential for reflective, soul-searching tourism.

Travel Impact Newswire Executive Editor Imtiaz Muqbil flew in a day early and toured the region to get a before-and-after look. These pictures tell more than a thousand words each, clearly showing that life is going on as normal. Just about every local resident lost someone in the disaster, and every stop tells a story. May God rest the souls of all the victims in peace.

tsunami7.jpg

This iconic picture shows the Grand Mosque of Lampuk, the only structure left standing just a few hundred metres from the coastline.

The pictures below show external and internal view of the Masjid Rahmatullah and its surrounding landscape today. Much of the reconstruction funds came from the Turkish Red Crescent, which now has the frontage road named after it.

tsunami10.jpg

tsunami8.jpg

The beautiful beach is just a few hundred metres from the Masjid Rahmatullah

tsunami9.jpg

tsunami11.jpg

The Tsunami Museum, a must-visit spot

tsunami12.jpg

tsunami16.jpg

tsunami13.jpg

tsunami14.jpg

The names of all the victims have been inscribed on the walls of this special chamber.
tsunami15.jpg

The name “Allah” is illuminated high on the dome of the chamber, against a moonlit backdrop, signifying that all forms of creation eventually return to God

Last edited:
Great efforts
Congrats to Indonesians for your immense strength courage and resiliance :cheesy::tup:

@pr1v4t33r , Man, your country's people's resilience stunned me!! I wonder if personally you have lost any near and dear ones in that catastrophe? I think many Ache ans must have and in spite of that what you have done is simply .....no words for it!! We must learn something from you!!

Fortunately, i didn't loss anyone in that day. I live in java, and so my family. I do admire them, the acehnese for their resilience. They face whatever burden thrown by life to them and just go on with it. We indeed must learn from them.

Fortunately, i didn't loss anyone in that day. I live in java, and so my family. I do admire them, the acehnese for their resilience. They face whatever burden thrown by life to them and just go on with it. We indeed must learn from them.

thanks for all of us effort to rebuild Aceh, and yes is true, Aceh people has been blessed with resilience and stoic virtue, a trait they had been gained for so long after years of violence era. It's good peace finally has found it place in Aceh....

well, I can remember of this natural disaster. the germans, the government and population alone donated one billion dollar for the victims. good for indonesia. Also, I remember as well of another man-made disaster, when the chinese hordes invaded our country and killed our people, I don´t remember of anyone intervened and donated. too bad.

@Viet no need to bring China and Vietnam conflict here, you guys has a plenty of thread full of your fights against Chinese member here

@Viet no need to bring China and Vietnam conflict here, you guys has a plenty of thread full of your fights against Chinese member here
ok ok...pls ignore the scond part of my post, and just say "thanks" to germany for the donation. even, indonesia early warning system is developed by germany and financed by a 100 million dollar payment from german taxpayers. I missed that word here in this thread.

well, I can remember of this natural disaster. the germans, the government and population alone donated one billion dollar for the victims. good for indonesia. Also, I remember as well of another man-made disaster, when the chinese hordes invaded our country and killed our people, I don´t remember of anyone intervened and donated. too bad.

Something like that happened, the US paid the Khmer Rouge to kill Viets after bombing you, machine gunning civilians, spraying agent orange everywhere.

None of that would have happened if you weren't so virulently anti-Chinese, resenting them simply because they are superior and won't let you annex your neighbors.

ok ok...pls ignore the scond part of my post, and just say "thanks" to germany for the donation. even, indonesia early warning system is developed by germany and financed by a 100 million dollar payment from german taxpayers. I missed that word here in this thread.

German is one of our best friend, no doubt about it, many of our technology comes because of cooperation with them, like our cooperation in plane and satellite technology. When Dutch refused to sell their Leopard Tank to us, Germany comes with better offer and TOT.

In Pictures: Aceh Marks 10 Years Since One of the World’s Worst Natural Disasters
travel-impact-newswire.com/2014/10/in-pictures-aceh-marks-10-years-since-one-of-the-worlds-worst-natural-disasters/

Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Ten years after the Dec 26, 2004, which devastated huge swathes of coastline and the city of Banda Aceh, on the northern tip of Indonesia, the city is hosting its first travel show, the Tourism Indonesia Mart & Expo. Attended by 60 buyers from 18 countries and 60 sellers from various parts of Indonesia, TIME 2014 is sending a clear signal to the world that it is time to support the ongoing social and economic revival of this highly productive and strategic part of the world, with great potential for reflective, soul-searching tourism.

Travel Impact Newswire Executive Editor Imtiaz Muqbil flew in a day early and toured the region to get a before-and-after look. These pictures tell more than a thousand words each, clearly showing that life is going on as normal. Just about every local resident lost someone in the disaster, and every stop tells a story. May God rest the souls of all the victims in peace.

View attachment 175223
This iconic picture shows the Grand Mosque of Lampuk, the only structure left standing just a few hundred metres from the coastline.

The pictures below show external and internal view of the Masjid Rahmatullah and its surrounding landscape today. Much of the reconstruction funds came from the Turkish Red Crescent, which now has the frontage road named after it.

View attachment 175277
View attachment 175281

The beautiful beach is just a few hundred metres from the Masjid Rahmatullah

View attachment 175285
View attachment 175286

The Tsunami Museum, a must-visit spot

View attachment 175305
View attachment 175307
View attachment 175308
View attachment 175309
The names of all the victims have been inscribed on the walls of this special chamber.
View attachment 175310
The name “Allah” is illuminated high on the dome of the chamber, against a moonlit backdrop, signifying that all forms of creation eventually return to God

My body trembles after see these pictures. How miraculous the mosque still standing when everything were destroyed.

Allahu akbar

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom