What's new

Tell Asians apart quiz

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
This is a quiz for telling apart Chinese, Japanese & Korean people. I'd love for the Chinese & Japanese members on this forum to take this quiz, along with anyone else that is interested:

http://alllooksame.com/quiz.php?tid=1

It might ask you for a Username & Password, & I created one already:

Username: paulron0
Password: watashi

Take the quiz, & tell me how much you scored.

Oh, I did that ages ago.

I scored really badly actually. :P (My score was 7-8 I think).

Often in Hong Kong, I would just go up to a Japanese/Korean person, and just assume that they are a fellow Hong Kong Chinese.

Though of course, I can instantly tell the difference between the spoken languages of Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien etc), Korean and Japanese.

Wow, I scored 10/18. The average was 7/18. Not bad.

Even harder question, can you tell the difference between a Han Chinese, a Manchu, and a Zhuang?

This is Li Ning, the guy who lit the Olympic torch in the 2008 Beijing Olympics:

001aa0ba65860a06a4b504.jpg

Due to his last name (Li/李), most people would assume he is Han Chinese, but I was really surprised to find out that he is actually of the Zhuang ethnicity. :lol:

Even harder question, can you tell the difference between a Han Chinese, a Manchu, and a Zhuang?

This is Li Ning, the guy who lit the Olympic torch in the 2008 Beijing Olympics:

Due to his last name "李" (Li), most people would assume he is Han Chinese, but I was really surprised to find out that he is actually of the Zhuang ethnicity. :lol:

It's funny, before when I hadn't met any Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean people in the US, or before traveling to China; I used to think they all looked the same. Then first I went to Japan, & spent a summer break there, & picked up a few Japanese phrases & stuff. Then I went to China, the first time to Hong Kong, Beijing & Shanghai; about 8 years ago. 3 years ago, I took a bus trip from Northern Pakistan to Kashgar, China; & then back to Pakistan. I've realized despite the standardization of language, there are subtle lingual differences, slight differences in dialects between many Chinese people, but I think it's really cool, because I have a fascination for linguistics & cultural nuances. And then, I've met a lot of amazing Chinese members here that I learn a lot from as well.

Due to his last name (Li/李), most people would assume he is Han Chinese, but I was really surprised to find out that he is actually of the Zhuang ethnicity. :lol:

Most people can not tell between the many people with slanted eyes..

After being good friends with many Chinese, Japanese & Korean people in the course of my life; I think there are several ways you can tell these three groups apart. The most obvious way is to see the differences in clothing, or how they speak English. There are some differences in physical features as well. Without trying to sound stereotypical, what helps me in distinguishing between those three groups is the eyes, & the cheeks/cheekbones. The Koreans have the smallest slit eyes, the Chinese in the middle, & the Japanese with the biggest. Then the cheekbones: in my opinion, the Koreans have the biggest ones, followed by the Chinese & then the Japanese. There are a few differences in hair styles as well, especially for the guys. I might be wrong, but this is what helps me.

I've seen some Northerners look like Li Ning, but his face is more popular among the Southerners.

After being good friends with many Chinese, Japanese & Korean people in the course of my life; I think there are several ways you can tell these three groups apart. The most obvious way is to see the differences in clothing, or how they speak English. There are some differences in physical features as well. Without trying to sound stereotypical, what helps me in distinguishing between those three groups is the eyes, & the cheeks/cheekbones. The Koreans have the smallest slit eyes, the Chinese in the middle, & the Japanese with the biggest. Then the cheekbones: in my opinion, the Koreans have the biggest ones, followed by the Chinese & then the Japanese. There are a fair differences in hair styles as well, especially for the guys. I might be wrong, but this is what helps me.

Those are very good observations. :tup:

In terms of "general trends", you're right. However, for individuals on a case-by-case basis, it becomes a lot more difficult.

For example, Koreans generally do have more prominent cheekbones than Chinese/Japanese, but I have also met a lot of Koreans who don't.

The best bet is to ask them, or to hear them speaking their native language. Accents can be tricky, because even two Chinese people will have different accents depending on their native dialect.

For example, I find Mandarin speakers have a much better English accent than Cantonese speakers.

Those are very good observations. :tup:

In terms of "general trends", you're right. However, for individuals on a case-by-case basis, it becomes a lot more difficult.

For example, Koreans generally do have more prominent cheekbones than Chinese/Japanese, but I have also met a lot of Koreans who don't.

The best bet is to ask them, or to hear them speaking their native language. Accents can be tricky, because even two Chinese people will have different accents depending on their native dialect.

For example, I find Mandarin speakers have a much better English accent than Cantonese speakers.

Yeah, Koreans are generally more robust looking than both Chinese and Japanese, it can be telling apart quite easily.

That website is somehow blocked in my country.

But yea, despite having some Chinese blood in myself, I've got experiences getting confused. When i was young, the Japanese media was at full-strength here, and despite learning that Japanese people were once cruel people, there was a believe here that Japanese people were taller, fairer, richer and better looking than mainland Chinese.

And then at 2003, i went to Japan for the first time. Bam! All of them looked just like Chinese to me :P

Goes to show how dumb classfying people based on race is.

My sister goes nuts over Takeshi Kaneshiro. For me, Zhang Ziyi is cute, and Cecilia Chung is my childhood crush :P

My all time favorite Chinese movie, Shaolin Soccer FTW! :D Though Stephen Chow's next few movies weren't as good.

That website is somehow blocked in my country.

But yea, despite having some Chinese blood in myself, I've got experiences getting confused. When i was young, the Japanese media was at full-strength here, and despite learning that Japanese people were once cruel people, there was a believe here that Japanese people were taller, fairer, richer and better looking than mainland Chinese.

And then at 2003, i went to Japan for the first time. Bam! All of them looked just like Chinese to me :P

Goes to show how dumb classfying people based on race is.

My sister goes nuts over Takeshi Kaneshiro. For me, Zhang Ziyi is cute, and Cecilia Chung is my childhood crush :P

My all time favorite Chinese movie, Shaolin Soccer FTW! :D Though Stephen Chow's next few movies weren't as good.

Not really, their face still looks Japanese in my eyes, and they cannot be 100% identical to the Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom