What's new

Team USA

So I had some trouble with my hot water heater so that got me thinking about how important hot water can be and how we take it being always there for granted. So let's take a look...

Most people have a tank of water in their basement/garage/utility room that is heated with gas/electricity. Another style is "tankless" where the water is heated on demand (which is more popular in Europe). I'll just talk about the tank ones since this is the style I know about.

image.jpg

They come in all sizes. The picture above looks like a 40 gallon (150 liters) which is the default size I think. You can get much larger ones. There's actually a large glass liner inside holding the water.

image.jpg

You can personalize the temperature (up to 71C)

Not only does hot water run to all the sinks, tubs, and showers you have; but more importantly to your clothes washer and dishwasher.
Screen shot 2015-01-03 at 6.31.08 PM.png

hot/cold water connection to the washing machine

Screen shot 2015-01-03 at 6.39.30 PM.png

Not being able to use the hot and warm wash/rinse cycles sucks.

Screen shot 2015-01-03 at 10.40.38 PM.png

I bet this is hard to find...

Screen shot 2015-01-03 at 10.45.48 PM.png

Most people only have the warm water detergents.

Screen shot 2015-01-04 at 10.17.11 AM.png

I realized the dishwasher is connected to the hot water too.

Last edited:
Homes in the USA: 1971 GFCI - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia requirement
Screen shot 2015-01-04 at 5.22.29 PM.png

"[GFCI] is a device that shuts off an electric circuit when it detects that current is flowing along an unintended path, possibly through water or through a person. It is used to reduce the risk of electric shock. It works by measuring the current leaving the hot side of the power source and comparing it to the current returning to the neutral side. If they are not equal, this means that some of the current is flowing along an unintended path, and the GFCI shuts the power off. When the problem is corrected, the GFCI can manually be reset by pushing the reset button."

Screen shot 2015-01-04 at 5.27.32 PM.png

required in outlets in bathrooms

Screen shot 2015-01-04 at 5.40.46 PM.png

Kitchen

Screen shot 2015-01-04 at 5.42.30 PM.png

Outside

Keep in mind even with this electrical outlets aren't legal to install in shower stalls or right next to a tub.

Last edited:
Homes in the USA: Insulation Window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Screen shot 2015-01-05 at 10.49.28 AM.png

"Double paned windows have two parallel panes (slabs of glass) with a separation of typically about 1 cm; this space is permanently sealed and filled at the time of manufacture with dry air or other dry nonreactive gas. Such windows provide a marked improvement in thermal insulation (and usually in acoustic insulation as well) and are resistant to fogging and frosting caused by temperature differential. They are widely used for residential and commercial construction in intemperate climates."
Screen shot 2015-01-05 at 11.08.59 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-05 at 11.21.34 AM.png

Comfy next to the windows even with all that snow outside.

Of course it helps keep out the heat too.

Last edited:
Cooking in an American home: The home oven/range/stove

Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.43.39 PM.png

5 gas burner (1 in each corner and a rectangular one in the middle, 17500 BTU burner) Convection oven.

Baking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.24.17 PM.png

Baking chicken in the oven

Steaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.28.14 PM.png

Steaming chicken on the stove

Grilling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.36.00 PM.png

Oven broiler (upside down Grilling)

Roasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.03.34 PM.png

Roasting a chicken in the oven

Boiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.05.40 PM.png

Boiling chicken on the stove.

Stew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.08.14 PM.png

Making stew on the stove

Frying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.11.17 PM.png

Frying chicken in a pan on the stove

Shallow frying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.13.37 PM.png

Shallow frying chicken on the stove

Deep frying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.17.27 PM.png

Deep frying chicken on the stove

Barbecue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
When I was in San Francisco, I went first to a burger joint for a bite I can't imagine how huge the burger was, same goes for other food items. When in Europe, specifically UK, Switerland & Italy, I found that the food items were more managable in quantity. Is there any reason why typical American meal are larger than the European counterpart?

When I was in San Francisco, I went first to a burger joint for a bite I can't imagine how huge the burger was, same goes for other food items. When in Europe, specifically UK, Switerland & Italy, I found that the food items were more managable in quantity. Is there any reason why typical American meal are larger than the European counterpart?

Food is cheap. Most of the price is preparing it and serving it.

Home of the world's largest cheeseburgers and many challenges:

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub - The Burger Challenges

The "Main Event" Burger is 125 lbs. Yes, one hundred and twenty five pounds.

Cooking in an American home (continued):
Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 8.36.20 PM.png

Yes, you can even cook a chicken in a convection microwave.

Speaking of Microwaves...
Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 8.45.09 PM.png

2.2 cu ft (62L) counter top.

Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 7.38.52 PM.png

Over-the-range dual fan vented outside-the-home microwave.

Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 7.43.48 PM.png

built-in above an oven

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rotisserie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 11.17.39 PM.png

Cook a chicken in a Rotisserie

Last edited:
The US home: Clothes Washers
Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 7.59.17 AM.png

Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. (147L) Front-Load Washer - Clean Living

Built for those with lots of laundry, the large capacity Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. front-load washer 4107 has 14 separate wash cycles. Never pre-treat stains again: there's a steam cycle built right into the washer, as well as a second rinse on the Kids Wear setting. The NSF-certified sanitize setting kills germs without harsh chemicals, eliminating 99.9% of bacteria. An automatic Smart Motion tumble feature prevents mildew and odors from gaining a foothold if you forget to remove a load. Keep your clothes looking, feeling and smelling their best with this Kenmore Elite front-load washer.

With Smart Motion Technology, the Direct Drive Motor blends up to six different wash motions, providing customized care for each type of fabric so clothes get totally clean.
SteamTreat virtually eliminates the need to pre-treat fabric while it tackles common tough, set-in messes with the deep cleaning power of steam.
From work clothes to cloth diapers, NSF certified Sanitize Cycle raises temperatures to quickly kill 99.9% of certain bacteria without using harsh chemicals like bleach.
Designed to scrub out grass stains and clean messes, the Kids Wear Cycle gets tough dirt out, while the 2nd Rinse feature makes clothes comfortable on the most sensitive skin.
Multiple wash cycles give your hardy work clothes, delicate linens, and stained fabrics the treatment they need to look their best.
A huge interior delivers plenty of space for towels, blankets, comforters and more, to help you get more clean in fewer loads.

Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 10.09.43 PM.png

Kenmore 5.2 cu. ft. (147L) Top-Load Washer w/ Steam & Ultra Wash Cycle

Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 8.03.21 AM.png

Yes, even your washing machine is smartphone connected.

Last edited:
The US home: Clothes Washers (continued)
Connects to the hot/cold water in your house.
Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 1.05.09 PM.png

Even better than the microwave is the dishwasher. Lazy luxury! :D

Kitchens in the US: Dishwasher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 1.14.30 PM.png

Connect to your home's hot water supply

Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 8.42.46 AM.png

Kenmore Elite 24" Built-In Dishwasher - Powerful and Quiet

The quietest dishwasher Kenmore has ever made at only 39 decibels, this ENERGY STAR® Kenmore Elite built-in dishwasher 12833 lets you rest and relax while it does all the hard work. The combination of the 360-degree PowerWash™ Plus technology and TurboZone® with rotating spray jets attacks your greasiest and grimiest dishes. Don't worry about your large or odd-shaped pots and pans. The one-hand adjuster makes lifting the upper rack very easy. It also has an efficient UltraClean wash system that knows the exact amount of water and energy to use so you can save money on your utility bills.

Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 8.39.56 AM.png

Last edited:
For the truly lazy, there is the option of two dishwashers. Load one up and let it run, then leave the dishes there to be used, while the other one gets loaded up. No more emptying or storage needed. :D

Kitchens in the US: Dishwasher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 182921
Kenmore Elite 24" Built-In Dishwasher - Powerful and Quiet

The quietest dishwasher Kenmore has ever made at only 39 decibels, this ENERGY STAR® Kenmore Elite built-in dishwasher 12833 lets you rest and relax while it does all the hard work. The combination of the 360-degree PowerWash™ Plus technology and TurboZone® with rotating spray jets attacks your greasiest and grimiest dishes. Don't worry about your large or odd-shaped pots and pans. The one-hand adjuster makes lifting the upper rack very easy. It also has an efficient UltraClean wash system that knows the exact amount of water and energy to use so you can save money on your utility bills.

View attachment 182919

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom