What's new

Tata Deal With Lockheed Martin effect on PAF F16 fleet

Make in India OK but I hope Gripen gets selected..F16 is best suited for museum with that vintage air frame.

Calm down...the MoU is between TATA and LM...Indian Government is yet to decide on F16 or Gripen.

But if India order F16....this will be a very bad news for PAF.

Make in India OK but I hope Gripen gets selected..F16 is best suited for museum with that vintage air frame.

I still think the F 16 will be a very good replacement for the Mig 27s and the Jaguars. Gripen has too many components that are American made. The spares for the F 16 can be gotten in grey markets which would be difficult if the Gripen is chosen in case of sanctions.

Anyways the F 16s are going to be the strike element and will complement the Mirage 2000s.

The best thing going for F16 is that its price...F16 is almost 30% cheaper than Gripen.

Out of the three options of GripenE, F-16-B70 and LCA,.. F-16-B70 looks the most advanced and hence the ideal choice for our light category requirement.

I am so happy that f sola will be produced in india. Now our policy maker would be forced to move on. Warna they would have stuck to f sola like je a leech for next 40 years.....

And there are expert F-16 pilots, working for Lockheed Martin disagreeing with You.

https://fightersweep.com/6024/dogfight-f-16v-viper-versus-j-39e-gripen/

Gripen E should be a better than F16...but I guess a lot of other factors will play into India's decision...such as buying US influence...geo strategic factors such as India - China competition. China's nightmare would be a closer defence relations between US and India. And other factors such as PAF over reliance on F16 can also play into Indians minds.

Gripen E should be a better than F16...but I guess a lot of other factors will play into India's decision...such as buying US influence...geo strategic factors such as India - China competition. China's nightmare would be a closer defence relations between US and India. And other factors such as PAF over reliance on F16 can also play into Indians minds.

India can "buy" influence in the US in many ways, so India would be playing their cards
badly if they choose an inferior plane, just because they want to please the US.
The US would benefit, if their allies are stronger, rather than weaker.

Gripen is logistically better since the Weapons are more compatible with Indias plans
(Meteor etc.) and the engine is the same as planned to be used by Indias future fighters.

If/when PAF moves on to the next platform, India is left with Black Peter.

With F-16 India will have to drive new development, whilst Gripen development can be shared
with Brazil and South Africa (remember BRICS).

Gripen tend to win most engagements vs F-16s in exercises.
But F16 has a strong pitch ,Gripen being partnered with several partners across Europe and largely Engines from US so F16 makes more of a sense as IAF has to deal with US alone in Gripen case it will be Sweds /Brits /US

But F16 has a strong pitch ,Gripen being partnered with several partners across Europe and largely Engines from US so F16 makes more of a sense as IAF has to deal with US alone in Gripen case it will be Sweds /Brits /US

Nope, if You buy F-16, you have deal with the subcontractors of LM, which are located in many different countries, including U.K., Germany, Greece, Holland, Korea, Denmark, Israel etc.
The subcontractors supply most of the F-16, and You are unlikely to get ToT on
non-LM components.

I would not be surprised if SAAB makes a larger part of Gripen, than LM makes of the F-16.

We are operators of F16 for 35 years and things you are sharing does not imply any more since most of the F16 facilities are closed after fulfilling orders in case of F16 LM guarantees (subject to US approval) a reliable supply chain where as in case of Gripen does Saab Guarantees Engine ? Don't take me wrong Gripen is an excellent platform but the complexity makes it difficult infact Gripen sales are more dependent upon US leverages in case of India US will cut the hen himself .

Nope, if You buy F-16, you have deal with the subcontractors of LM, which are located in many different countries, including U.K., Germany, Greece, Holland, Korea, Denmark, Israel etc.
The subcontractors supply most of the F-16, and You are unlikely to get ToT on
non-LM components.

We are operators of F16 for 35 years and things you are sharing does not imply any more since most of the F16 facilities are closed after fulfilling orders in case of F16 LM guarantees (subject to US approval) a reliable supply chain where as in case of Gripen does Saab Guarantees Engine ? Don't take me wrong Gripen is an excellent platform but the complexity makes it difficult infact Gripen sales are more dependent upon US leverages in case of India US will cut the hen himself .

LM can only guarantee what is under their control.
They cannot guarantee that Northrop Grumman can and will deliver any AESA radars.
Only Northrop Grumman can do that.

Fokker (now GKN) delivers the undercarriage for the F-16. Are You suggesting that LM developed
a new undercarriage after volume went down. I doubt that.
As long as there are orders, most subcontractors stay.

IMG_1622.PNG

The age of many parts make it likely that they will be obsoleted as soon as order dry up.
Indua does not plan to order for 3-4 years.

India already has a contract with GE to supply F-414 engines.
The US has approved the use of the engine for a Gripen project.
The only reason there would be a problem is that the US does not want India
to build any fighter, and then there would be no F-16 engines available either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom