What's new

Taliban close Qatar office

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Afghan Taliban are closing their Qatar office at least temporarily to protest demands that they remove a sign that identified the movement as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, a diplomat and a Taliban official said on Tuesday.

The office was opened less than a month ago to facilitate peace talks and has come under pressure for using the same white flag flown during the Taliban’s five-year rule of Afghanistan that ended with the US-led invasion in 2001.

Both officials, familiar with the peace talks in the Gulf State of Qatar, said the office has been temporarily abandoned.

They requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. Afghan President Hamid Karzai has protested the name and the flag.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...ice-to-protest-flag-fracas/article4898219.ece

Peace talks abandoned??
@muse, @Aeronaut - just a temporary move or abandonment of the talks?

Last edited by a moderator:
When they first opened it I loved it how members were congratulating Pakistan's role in the talks and how USA was defeated and now I wonder if they will take credit for the failure too.

When they first opened it I loved it how members were congratulating Pakistan's role in the talks and how USA was defeated and now I wonder if they will take credit for the failure too.

I guess James Dobbins (the US official designate for the talks) indicated already that the talks will not happen after all.

Just a pressure tactic to use antagonism between Americans and N.Alliance regime in Kabul to press their demands more strongly. Its just a calculated move.

Just a pressure tactic to use antagonism between Americans and N.Alliance regime in Kabul to press their demands more strongly. Its just a calculated move.

I feel sad for you really. Just a while ago you were going on about Pakistan brokering peace with Taliban through Qatar talks....and now this. Must be quite a trip huh ?

Right after that "Mark my words...." speech. :tup:

Should now they open an office in India now?.. Indians would you like?

Karzai says there are a number of Taliban and Pustoon leaders who are willing to talk peace with the Peace council as opposed to the Pakistan supported faction of the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqanis who are refusing to talk with both the Karzai Govt and the peace council.

Looks like that there is a split in the Taliban faction. As to these Doha talks that was pushed by ISI and Pakistan - this was doomed from the start.

@RuheTag

They are basically giving a red signal to Karzai while showing flashing amber lights to the Americans at the same time. Just wait and watch.

Indians are expected to be pi ssed off as they are a no body in these talks so they are using their levers on Karzai to sabotage this effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
A technique to pressurize I guess.

To pressurise a defeated force like NATO who cannot exit Afghanistan because they will slaughtered moment they leave Kabul city?

To pressurise the Mayor of Kabul?

If you are victorious why pressurise just march into Kabul like the last time and hang Karzai?

Pressurize to get what in return?

to protest demands that they remove a sign that identified the movement as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, a diplomat and a Taliban official said on Tuesday.

To pressurise a defeated force like NATO who cannot exit Afghanistan because they will slaughtered moment they leave Kabul city?

To pressurise the Mayor of Kabul?

If you are victorious why pressurise just march into Kabul like the last time and hang Karzai?

Who the hell told you that I think like that??this your self-conclusion...:what:

to protest demands that they remove a sign that identified the movement as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, a diplomat and a Taliban official said on Tuesday.

That flag and the sign were removed the very next day after the official opening of the office - so it doesn't make sense to protest now after complying immediately.

Back
Top Bottom