What's new

Superstition Keeps India's Richest Man Out of Billion-Dollar House

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
mumbai-skyscraper-getty-1319649828.jpg

A year ago, we brought you the story of Mukesh Ambani, India's richest man, who built a Mumbai skyscraper for $1 billion and planned to use it as a private residence -- all 27 stories of it.

Well, looks like we jumped the gun a little. A report in the U.K.'s Daily Mail says that the building stands empty today because of the family's fears that living in it would bring them bad luck. The belief is based on the Indian system of vastu shastra, similar to the Chinese practice of feng shui. According to the Vaastu Shaastra website, "Vastu shastra relates to the universe, delivering peace, prosperity, health and happiness to the people."

Among other things, good vastu shastra requires that houses be constructed from the eastern portion first, that they must sit on a square or rectangular plot and that they can't share a wall with an adjacent property.

We're not exactly sure where Ambani's building, called the Antilla, ran afoul of the rules, but with its Lego-like layout -- the Daily Mail describes it as a "jigsaw-puzzle facade"-- and un-houselike features including three helipads and six stories of parking, Ambani isn't taking any chances. While he uses the place for parties and movie screenings in the private theater, he hightails it home to his nearby 14-story apartment building to sleep.

Or maybe, as The Wall Street Journal speculates, the real disruptive energy is coming from Ambani's neighbors, the citizens of Mumbai, who roundly criticized him for building such an expensive and ostentatious pleasure palace in a country where the average income is just over $1,000 a year.

mukesh-ambani-getty.jpg

Ambani (pictured at right) wouldn't be the first billionaire to buy a house and not live in it. The Journal cites the case of Larry Ellison, who bought the 249-acre Porcupine Creek estate in Rancho Mirage, Calif., for $43 million and rarely uses it. Then there's hedge fund billionaire David Tepper, who last year paid $43.5 million for a beachfront estate on the shores of Long Island -- and then proceeded to knock it down. Wonder what the vashtu shasta gods would have to say about that.

Superstition Keeps Richest Man Out of Billion-Dollar House | AOL Real Estate

What a waste. He could've helped millions of his poor indian people in india with that kind of money.

That house looks rubbish btw.

This 'stack of books' look has been copied by other buildings in Mumbai. Speaks volumes of the beauty of this building. Here is JK house . A private house just like Ambani's

captureh.png

I think thats just an unflattering angle. I have seen the building, its a masterpiece for sure. Not to forget all the luxuries and amenities they have inside it. I mean they have their own freaking movie theater!:cheesy:

article-2053231-0E8641EB00000578-275_634x908.jpg

Yeah Right ! Ugly building coz its not in Karachi or Shanghai !

LOL... R u tht thick headed? it ugly coz it is son... i dnt give a shyt if its in toronto or NY...dnt want such building in my country thts for sure.... but to each his own....

For a billion dollar house, it is unflattering ugly indeed. Should see what a billion can get you in Karachi or Beijing.

I agree. The house, citadel, whatever you want to call it is ugly as hell.

Yes. It's depressing to see rich people waste their money on bad architecture.

Whatever ill one speaks of the French kings Louis XIV and XV, even after the monarchy was gone the French people respected its architectural and horticultural achievements. It's tough to imagine future generations wanting to preserve this monstrosity or keeping an ounce of respect for the people who caused it to be built.

And the worst part is that no one lives in that house. A total waste of a billion dollars, especially in a country where millions are homeless.

Back
Top Bottom