What's new

Super Superbug now detected in 13 EU countries

Hafizzz

Reaction score
'Super superbug' spreads in Europe
'Super superbug' spreads in Europe - World - Canoe.ca

Some 77 cases of a multi-drug resistant "superbug" from India first reported in Britain in August have now been detected in 13 European countries, a scientist at the EU's disease watchdog said on Wednesday.

Dominique Monnet of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said he was very worried by the emergence of NDM-1, or New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase, and other bugs like it that are resistant to even the most powerful class of antibiotics, known as carbapenems.

"I know people are calling this NDM-1 a superbug, but for me NDM-1 and bacteria like it are more than superbugs. We're talking about super superbugs," Monnet said in a telephone interview from Stockholm, where the ECDC is based.

"For a long time ... doctors in hospitals, especially in intensive care units, have relied on the carbapenems as the last line of antibiotic treatment. Now, for doctors facing a patient infected with a bacteria that is resistant to carbapenems, the options for treatment are limited."

NDM-1 is a gene carried by bacteria that alters them and makes then resistant to almost all known antibiotics. It can manifest itself in many different ways and is often found in bacteria like Klebsiella pneumonia and E-coli, both of which can cause urinary tract infections and pneumonia.

British researchers reported in August that cases of infection with NDM-1 bugs had been found in patients in South Asia and in Britain and said they feared it could spread around the world, in part because of medical tourism.

U.S. health officials said at the same time that three cases had been detected in the United States.

MEDICAL TOURISM INCREASES SPREAD

Monnet is due to publish a paper this week in online journal Eurosurveillance which shows how the bug is spreading in Europe.

In a separate briefing for reporters later on Wednesday, Monnet said a total of 77 NDM-1 cases had now been detected in 13 European countries, including Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and others, between 2008 and 2010.

Around two-thirds of the cases were in Britain, he said, and data showed that seven of the infected patients had died.

"Most cases were associated with healthcare in or travel to the Indian subcontinent," he said, a finding that confirmed what the British study also showed -- that increasing international travel and medical tourism, where patients go abroad for treatment, are helping to spread superbugs around the world.

Monnet added that a small proportion of the NDM-1 cases were found in patients who had received healthcare in the Balkans.

Almost as soon as penicillin, the world's first antibiotic, was introduced in the 1940s, bacteria began to develop resistance to its effects, prompting scientists and drug firms to work on developing many new generations of antibiotics.

Experts say their constant overuse and misuse have fuelled the rise of drug-resistant superbugs such as Clostridium difficile, or methicillin-resistant Staphyloccus aureus (MRSA).

Now carbapenems -- a class of the drugs traditionally reserved for last-line use and to treat infections caused by the likes of MRSA and C-difficile -- are also becoming powerless in the face of ever more ingenious bacteria.

"Doctors have relied very much on the availability of new antibiotics," Monnet said. "They have always had this kind of forward escape strategy of counting on the pharmaceutical industry to produce new antibiotics that will help counteract the emergence of resistance."

"But what we have now is increasing multidrug resistant bacteria in the EU and at the same time a rather dry pipeline for new antibiotics. We are running out of antibiotics."

A few large drugmakers, including Pfizer, Merck, AstraZeneca , GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis, are hunting for new antibiotics but the scientific difficulty and expense of finding effective treatments is stacked against the limited sales potential of drugs that are typically reserved for the sickest patients.

Experts cite only two drugs that can stand up to carbapenem-resistant infections.

One is colistin, an older antibiotic which Monnet said has such toxic side effects that it would probably not be approved for a licence under today's drug regulation standards. The other is Pfizer's antibiotic Tygacil, known generically as tigecycline, which Monnet said only works in some cases.

How should the world deal with this nasty bug ?

How should the world deal with this nasty bug ?

Antibiotics should never be sold over the counter, as they are in many nations. I can go to Mexico and buy big bottles of Amoxicillin. People dose themselves for viruses and other non-bacterial problems, and the bacteria that are always present develop resistance, then spread.

Doctors need to stop giving these out like candy. Ear infections, for example. Yes they hurt, but people don't die from an ear ache, and the body will defeat them on its own.

People today also freak out and wipe everything down in their house with bacteriocidal cleaners and soap. Instead of playing outside and getting a bit dirty, kids are kept in antiseptic environments. People have less natural resistance than ever.

There is no solution. Bacteria can out-evolve new medicines.

bacterial resistance to antibiotics was always there even before the invention of penicillin ..its just when we use antibiotics the bacteria with resistance get selected ..remember the Darwin's "survival of the fittest" theory..
in india i believe we should have a protocol for the use of particular type of medicine for particular type of bugs..but sadly no one cares for it...and it leads to these kinda problems..

Don't worry ... these bugs are inventions of pharmaceutical companies and carefully spread from time to time followed by a fear mongering campaigns by their media sisters giving excuse to their puppet governments to spend tax payer money on antibiotics ..... Have you ever had a close look at WHO (World Health Organization) flag??? ... How appropriate ... isn't it ??? ......

india has a pretty strong medical tourism industry..treatment and operative procedures are very very cheap here as compared to the western countries..so people choose to visit here to get treated..Here in india we see these kinda news as a western propaganda against indian medical tourism industry.

Don't worry ... these bugs are inventions of pharmaceutical companies

Another conspiracy. You claim that bacteria cannot evolve to defeat outside influences? They are the ultimate evolutionary model because they can do it so quickly.

How about bacteria that evolve to survive in boiling water?

HyperThermophiles: Hyperthermophile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some extreme thermophiles (hyperthermophiles) require a very high temperature (80 °C to 105 °C) for growth.

How about bacteria that evolve to live without oxygen? Or those that can eat oil or minerals?

Back on topic: Are antibiotics available over the counter (no doctor prescription) in Pakistan or India? I know they are available throughout Mexico and South America.

Back on topic: Are antibiotics available over the counter (no doctor prescription) in Pakistan or India? I know they are available throughout Mexico and South America.

I can tell you about India: no, you cannot get antibiotics over the counter here. You need a doctor's prescription for most things apart from really basic stuff like Paracetamol or Aspirin.

But the problem here is that doctors seem over eager to push antibiotics! Every time I have gone to a doctor, I have been prescribed a good dose of antibiotics!

But the problem here is that doctors seem over eager to push antibiotics! Every time I have gone to a doctor, I have been prescribed a good dose of antibiotics!

I totally agree. Even the doctors are adding to the problem. Average people are worse. My Mother-in-law would push these huge penicillin pills on family members every time they had a cold (a virus). Because the cold was "cured" (which it does anyhow in 2 - 3 days), she thinks it must have been the pill that works.

I had to force her to stop shoving these pills into my children.

I totally agree. Even the doctors are adding to the problem. Average people are worse. My Mother-in-law would push these huge penicillin pills on family members every time they had a cold (a virus). Because the cold was "cured" (which it does anyhow in 2 - 3 days), she thinks it must have been the pill that works.

I had to force her to stop shoving these pills into my children.

You're mother-in-law sounds like she'd make a great GP.

yeah ofcourse most of the antibiotics are available over the counter here in india ...some of them may carry a warning regarding their status of not to be sold without prescription...but law is india is pretty lax...so no chemist bothers about these warnings...:frown:

chogy... antibiotics are often given in viral diseases as prophylaxis to prevent secondary infection by bacteria..

chogy... antibiotics are often given in viral diseases as prophylaxis to prevent secondary infection by bacteria..

I'm not a doctor. I can see this as necessary with some lung diseases, but wouldn't you agree in general that antibiotics are over-prescribed? A doctor will write the scrip "just in case" because if he doesn't he will be subject to scrutiny or lawsuits (maybe both) if the patient develops an infection.

In the U.S., there are kids who get ear infections twice or more a year, and by the time they are teenagers, they will have been on potentially dozens of courses of antibiotics.

the seriousness with which the scientist was talking about this bug was realy concerning.

@choggy...we cannot completly balme doctors
we would get irritated if doctor listens to our disease and asks us to bear with it. v ofcourse want him to prescribe us sumthng.
mostly our satisfaction increases with amount of prescription and doctors keep prescribing to keep their clients (patients) happy.
well their lies all the problems and v r equally responsible. rn't v??

b/w i hate the name these people have given the bug
realy wat do they think about asians
are v a thrash bag
"new delhi bull sh!t"
least bit sensitive people.

a few facts about this whole "superbug" thing

Check out this particular thread and the explanation given by Ganimi Kawa. This should suffice.

@Hafizz: This is the third time you are posting articles about this particular bug. Read up info whats posted in similar threads on this particular bug.

Back
Top Bottom