What's new

Suggestion for a new car

I would stick with the cars on the list and forget the SUV's because of the age, I'm guessing he is not going to be doing a lot of driving so forget everthing else and get him what he feels comfortable with.

I want to purchase a new car for my father of 74 Yrs. Age. Previously he was driving a Accent which is 8 Yrs. old. I have zeroed in on the following vehicles. Honda Amaze, Dzire, Etios (Cars) and Ecosport, Duster(mini SUV).

Criteria :
1. Should be between 8-11 Lakhs (Dsl)
2. Easy Visibility (for driving)
3. Good service with spares.
4. Small cars won't do because he is used to accent length.

@jbgt90 @joekrish @Flamingo @Srinivas @DRAY @GURU DUTT @Dillinger @danish_vij @SarthakGanguly @levina (as Guest comment, because of UAE location)
OK sorry for the delay in responding but if the car is for your dad, i would advise the amaze. the eco sport will take time to get , the duster is high hence might have a problem to get in,do not go for the etios as it really has uncomfortable seats, The desire is fine too. :)

I want to purchase a new car for my father of 74 Yrs. Age. Previously he was driving a Accent which is 8 Yrs. old. I have zeroed in on the following vehicles. Honda Amaze, Dzire, Etios (Cars) and Ecosport, Duster(mini SUV).

Criteria :
1. Should be between 8-11 Lakhs (Dsl)
2. Easy Visibility (for driving)
3. Good service with spares.
4. Small cars won't do because he is used to accent length.

Your selection of cars is very good, among sedans, all three you mentioned are Japanese cars, however, quality/finishing of Honda Amaze, & Etios would be slightly better than Dzire. But Dzire beats them on sheer size of its service network and low maintenance cost, and it is the most popular one also. In terms of looks, both Honda Amaze, & Etios look like a squeezed sedan, especially when parked near a full sedan. Dzire also looks odd, like a Swift fitted with a trunk at the back. :D My choice would be between Amaze & Dzire. You can also consider Volkswagen, as @hinduguy said, Hyundai Verna would be another sexy looking established brand.

Among Ecosport & Duster, Duster looks awesome with amazing road presence, but Ecosport seems to have more features. SUVs in general have better visibility than sedans, and the are better equipped to deal with our roads! If I buy a car today from your list, I would buy a Duster. :)

I understand your father is looking for diesel sedans.
there are certain perceptions about car makers world around:
European/German cars are loaded with latest tech, but horrible A.S.S and spare parts availability issues.
Japanese(and recently Korean) are known for sturdiness and build quality and for our country Japanese(and Indo-Jap) Cars are the best.
even with Japanese brands Honda and Nissan are considered expensive to maintain. these points are generally true all over IMO.
my suggestions:
Honda amaze i-dtec less refinement and 5000kms service interval as well as expensive spares. it needs a version2 or version3 to have Honda makes these diesel engines as sweet as their petrol engines.

Etios/Liva seems to me a experiment by Toyota R&D to build cars with Indian partner(Kirloskar). it's not a true toyota. earlier ones had rusting/rain water seeping issues.
Toyota Etios and Liva are made for taxi market in South Asia and SE Asia. eventually Logans and Tata Indicas will get replaced by Toyota Etios/Liva. even the interiors are so 1980ish. don't count the "international image" of Toyota when it comes to Etios and Liva. yes, the 68-70bhp diesel engine gives great mileage - it is the only thing good in Etios/Liva.

Renault Duster(also sold as Nissan Terrano in India) is good but servicing may be a problem as Renault A.S.S are not spread across tier-2/3 cities.

Hyundai Verna also is a good choice. however, these common rail diesel engines if ever developed a problem, it is very costly to repair. Turbo costs around 50,000(US$800) for Verna diesel. spares for diesel cars are costly with Hyundai afaik.

I believe it is Maruti Swift Dzire VDI/ZDI which will give less hassles and entertaining drive(with fiat DDIS/Multijet turbo engine). even ERTIGA is a good choice. earlier ERTIGA's have some engine oil seal problem(oil leakage). Maruti has resolved it as per MASS.
never consider SX4 diesel - it is a flop. suzuki is known for small cars.

and the Best choice: Toyota Altis with D4D engine which gives awesome mileage and good build quality. go for it.

If you're looking for comfort, economy, good wider size than most smaller cars. Decent power to get you moving, good feeling interior. Smooth automatic and biggest trunk space in its sector I would say go for 2014 Chevy Cruze LS.

I drive one and I'm very happy with this car. The steering wheel is also sporty and think, it comes with 3month satellite radio, on star(don't use much though) , blue tooth, AC, whatever else is needed.

2014-Chevrolet-Cruze-Sedan-LS-Manual-4dr-Sedan-Interior-2.png

This one is my personal car I picked up from the dealer and no extra charge on the new color:

20130910_113524_zps64745cb7.jpg

If you're looking for comfort, economy, good wider size than most smaller cars. Decent power to get you moving, good feeling interior. Smooth automatic and biggest trunk space in its sector I would say go for 2014 Chevy Cruze LS.

I drive one and I'm very happy with this car. The steering wheel is also sporty and think, it comes with 3month satellite radio, on star(don't use much though) , blue tooth, AC, whatever else is needed.

This one is my personal car I picked up from the dealer and no extra charge on the new color:

Thanks, but as I told in my post that I want a car for my father of 74 yrs age. And he drove one Accent and wants a car of same length appx, not big nor too small. Speed is not a criteria for him, only good drivability (I invented this word)!!

Thanks, but as I told in my post that I want a car for my father of 74 yrs age. And he drove one Accent and wants a car of same length appx, not big nor too small. Speed is not a criteria for him, only good drivability (I invented this word)!!

This would still work for him, they are in the same segment.

Hyundai accent: 172 inch in length
Chevy Cruze: 180 in in length

This would still work for him, they are in the same segment.

Hyundai accent: 172 inch in length
Chevy Cruze: 180 in in length

Yes, it is good (very) popular car. Driven it (friend's). I own a Fiat Linea. But heavy and powerful compared to Accents. It's up to him. He will test drive and choose. And also the budget. Cruze is 12-14 lacs where as Amaze and dzire are between 6-7 lacs.

Yes, it is good (very) popular car. Driven it (friend's). I own a Fiat Linea. But heavy and powerful compared to Accents. It's up to him. He will test drive and choose. And also the budget. Cruze is 12-14 lacs where as Amaze and dzire are between 6-7 lacs.

Oh I see, we get it cheaper here. 9-11 lakhs.

well bro chevy is no dought a great car but GMs dealership and after sales service record is even worse than TATA motors + spares will always be an issue i guess HONDA and Suzuki are the onli two best bets for small cars in India

I have one question mate ,

Sedan looks official, with SUV it do not look official. Any idea why executives are going for SUV's like duster these days?

Because they have small dicks and sitting up above in an SUV, higher then the rest gives them a false sense of superiority. True story....

Back
Top Bottom