What's new

Strengthening Pakistan-US relations

Panther

New Recruit

Reaction score
Well Neo, i can't give a short explanation, but i'll "try" to be as clear and as straight to the point as i possibly can, though to be honest, i can't guarantee anything, except this will be a long winded post! I just pray it doesn't come across as sounding condescending in tone, like i am a know it all, which certainly isn't my goal here?

The way i see it and judging from the many anti-american threads here and other muslim forums, it's obvious it is in the gutter at the present time. I think most of the problem stems from the AQ tactic of finally finding a way of forcing the US too become more physically involved with many muslim countries in the region, especially when the natural historical reflex of the American government is not to become to entangled in any countries domestic issues if they can help it in anyway whatsoever! However that is just my opinion. Another complicated problem is the history of the region and as well as with the rest of mankind, to the dislike of being dominated by anyother foreign power, including the US... no matter how benign an aggressive foregin policy it pursues. The position for the US following 9-11, never was an enviable one for the new Bush administration at that time! It was a "D@*ned if you do, D@*ned if you don't" type of situation!

Unfortuanately for the US-Pakistan relatioship, and i am only talking about the modern era of the last 6-7 years, for the US to go after AQ and the Taliban right next door to Pakistan, detestable choices had to be made by both national governments. Just a few of those choices are: For the US, the cooperation of the Pakistani government was of the upmost importance in it's geopolitical strategy, and that meant having too deal with the unpopular dictorial tendencies of Mr. Musharraf, which has extremely hurt our credibility over time with most Pakistani's, but i don't think it is the most predominant of the cause's for the deterioration of the relationship, as i will try to explain in the next paragraph.

For Pakistan (Here it get's really complicted because of the variable complexities of the multitude of current issues) i believe perhaps, the hardest and most resented choice for many within Pakistan, was siding with the US against another muslim country! As corrupt and mistake ridden as the Musharraf government is/was believed too be, for him like the US following 9-11... the few choices he had in front of him were not anymore enviable then the choices the US had too make following 9-11, as i will try too explain in a moment! Of course, i am not intentionally forgetting the other most complicated issue in this sordid mess.... the long history of the CIA in Pakistan and in many countries around the globe, which has left alot too be desired; Especially by the individual American standards, it's not anymore trusted by the average US citizen, then it is by the average muslim. It seems that every single Muslim country without exception... hates that organisation with a passion! But it's not the number of the most hated and or feared intelligence organisations; I believe that dubious honor is left for the Israeli "Mossad", leaving the CIA the #2 spot?

Also, this needs to be said on this forum... complicating the matter for US foreign policy makers, is that some American businesses have an interest in the natural resources of oil in the region, as found in quite a few muslim countries. Contrary to the popular misconception, the oil corporations are not the all powerful, freedom smothering goliaths that is usally potrayed in popular media, especially here in the west. Without the cooperation of the host governments, they can't do absolutely anything at all, without the threat constantly hanging over them of everything and anything they put into the country will... or could be instantly nationalized at anytime at all, at the whims of the host government! For an example of a business deal going horribly wrong, just Look up the Suez crisis of the fifties! That is where the US government comes in too try and smooth over any ruffled feathers that may exist, but there is no absolute guarantee that a deal would be worked out that would satisfy all parties concerned. Where there is a long history of a good working international-intragovernmental relationship, is where the best possibilities lay for more of a focus in working out a suitable deal for all the parties involved. The short of it, US business deals are meant to trickle down to the individual in the host society. Sadly, sometimes that does not necessarily work out as anyone had planned!

Another misconception is that just because the US is a global superpower, it can strong arm any country into doing it's bidding. That does not appear to be the case, as witnessed with the Spanish and Philipine governments pulling their troops out of Iraq several years ago, along with a few others! Or even the lack of being able too get it's closet ally, the British.. involved in Vietnam 40 years ago. An ally or even a country with a decent relatioship with the US has the option of saying no to the US. The worse consequence of saying no to the US, for any industrial developing country... is that it would probably go to... or try another country in the region that the US has deemed a hotspot, where it really needs all the friends it can get; Any country that is interested and who would be willing too help the US out, primarily for the funds that comes with an interested US policy initative, with a primary goal of all parties involved being ultimately satisfied in the deal, is the eventual and hoped for developement of any particular region in which the US finds itself in!

What has any of this got to do with the Pakistan-US relatioship? In the domestic sphere, very little i suppose, as i guess Pakistan has the ability too fund it's own domestic needs for their own area's, that is... for the most part! However, it appears defence wise , it means for Pakistan, a very lucrative deal worth billions of dollars worth in military aid and any subsequent supply of materials needed. For Musharraf, saying no was the last thing on his mind when the US came calling in September of 2001, primarily i believe, for his own fear that the US would divert alot more of the military funds to other countries that would be more interested in being cooperative in helping them out of a jam! Let's face it... the Musharraf came too power via a coup!

What the gist of my post is... that foreign relation wise, both countries are under an extreme misconception of each other, that is... full of false perceptions of one another. That the US is waging an Imperialistic war against Muslims, which certainly isn't true, from my point of view. Also just as equally untrue, is that Pakistan is not a trustworthy US ally, who is not doing enough or anything at all too help the US in the fight against AQ & other terrorist organisations! From my point of view, for majority of the Pakistani military and the individual soldiers, they have done alot of their own share of combatting the threat, any of it's shortcoming's lay within the political realm. My repsect for the Pakistani military is the same as my extremely high respect for the US military. Now i don't say that in hopes of anyone reciporcating my kind words; I've said that primarily because that is what i have always honestly thought!

What of the effect's of a Democrat administration? Too be honest, it is very extremely hard too tell, even at this time! At the moment, they are saying one thing and then explaining that they meant it another way! :blah: :crazy:

Personally, i don't like it when anyone beats around the bush (Pun certainly not intended!), granted... that is expected of most politicans. But this US election cycle is very ridiculous! McCain is the only one making any ounce of sense, and i certainly don't know how comforting that is too anyone else on this forum? But i i had too guess, i would probably go with a McCain administration as being more benefical for Pak-US relations!

Anyways, i guess i went on for far too long now? I do appreciate your curiousity in asking for my views, and if i had confused you or anyone else with this long post, feel free too tell me so!

Many thanks,
Panther

Strengthening Pakistan-US relations
By Talat Masood

What the world and especially the US has to appreciate is that there is more at stake for Pakistan in the successful outcome of combating terrorism than for any other country. And the new democratic government is relatively better suited to prevent and counter terrorism

The importance of Pakistan for the US at this time can be gauged by the fact that it is constantly featured in the US media, albeit mostly for the wrong reasons. Various facets of relationship are frequently discussed in both houses of Congress and Pakistan keeps coming up as a leading foreign policy issue for the presidential candidates.

Moreover, top administration officials have made several visits to Pakistan to remain abreast of internal developments. From the US’ perspective, the centre of global Islamic radicalism has shifted to FATA, although many in Pakistan would disagree and consider it as a tactic to shift responsibility for their own failures.

There is also a prevailing perception that the US and NATO’s policy for this region is motivated by lucrative economic and strategic interests, apart from combating terrorism.

For Pakistan too, no country influences its internal dynamic more than the United States, especially now because of its close links directly through NATO in the “war on terror”.

And if we go back in history, one of the main reasons for Pakistan aligning so closely with the US was to countervail India. This largely still holds true, despite India’s growing proximity to Washington.

A classic example of this was illustrated immediately after 9/11 when Pakistan was confronted with the US president’s ultimatum to be enlisted in the war on terror as a key ally. President Musharraf showed undue haste in agreeing to the US demands on the plea that apart from other reasons if Islamabad had refused, India which had already conveyed its willingness would have acted as a conduit for logistic support.

The assumption is that Islamabad’s multiple links with the super power serve as a balancer. In addition to the security relationship, Islamabad is closely linked and dependent on the US for economic assistance, its social sector’s uplift and strategic gains.

On the other hand, there is a pervasive and strong anti-American sentiment in the public that places great strains on the bilateral relationship and makes the task of the government difficult. To many in this country the US is fighting an endless war and we are being forced into it, notwithstanding latest efforts of the government to correct this impression.

The belligerent unilateralism and discriminatory attitude of the Bush administration toward Muslim causes has also driven people toward taking an anti-US stance. Lack of shared values and misperceptions about the clash of civilisations has not been helpful in bringing the two countries closer. Bush administration’s support to Musharraf and their alleged interference in Pakistan’s domestic politics has also given rise to resentment among people.

The colonial legacy and the lack of legitimacy of the military rulers has made us a little too dependent on the US and we frequently look to Washington to solve even our domestic and external problems. This makes the task of getting people’s support to fight terrorism difficult.

The wide spread anti-American sentiment clearly restrains the freedom of the new government in developing a closer relationship with Washington and its greatest challenge would be to reconcile the security and economic demands with political compulsions.

Hopefully, as the United States and Pakistan deepen and broaden their cooperation and develop a multifaceted relationship in economic and social sectors the gap between the attitude of the people and the relationship of governments would close. The US being Pakistan’s largest trading partner opening of its markets will contribute toward placing our trade and commercial relations on a sound footing.

Whereas the US-Pak military relationship has always been close, there seem to be misgivings among intelligence and law enforcement agencies on issues related to the war on terror. The F-16 issue too is both substantive and symbolic and any delay in the implementation of its delivery is poorly perceived.

For smoother relationship all these anomalies have to be corrected. Washington cannot overlook the reality that Islamabad has extended unprecedented cooperation. The unfortunate part is that whereas US does praise Pakistan for its cooperation, it is also highly critical of Pakistan for being a major centre of Islamic radicalism.

Washington and the West conveniently forget that in many ways their past and present actions have contributed to the spread of militancy. This blame game and these pressure tactics only weaken the relationship and strengthen militants.

What the world and especially the US has to appreciate is that there is more at stake for Pakistan in the successful outcome of combating terrorism than for any other country. And the new democratic government is relatively better suited to prevent and counter terrorism and build a more balanced and comprehensive relationship.

Even in the best of times, the US-Pak relations have been beset with underlying tensions. But never before have the two governments confronted such conflicting pulls and pushes as are occurring today, which could truly tear apart their fragile alliance.

Regrettably, and as much ironically, the deep turbulence in their relationship comes at a time when both countries desperately need each other. There are multiple factors which are causing this rupture and it would require a deep understanding and most astute handling from both sides to restore the trust and confidence so necessary to give substance to the partnership.

Firstly, as has been wisely pointed out by Senator Biden, the US should follow Pakistan-oriented instead of Musharraf-centric policy. Supporting military rulers and simultaneously passing legislation that requires the US President to certify that Pakistan is making progress in its democratic evolution exemplifies Washington’s mixed and contradictory policies. Nonetheless, due to a Democrat dominated Congress and the likelihood of a Democratic President at the White House there will genuine support for democracy in Pakistan.

The latest US legislation which conditions its assistance upon progress on major issues truly defines its areas of interest. Pakistan’s relations with the US in the near future will hinge on progress made on them. It is important to analyse how we are likely to fare in these areas and what the major impediments will be.

The writer is a retired lieutenant general and can be contacted at talat@comsats.net.pk

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

View: Strengthening Pakistan-US relations —Talat Masood

What the world and especially the US has to appreciate is that there is more at stake for Pakistan in the successful outcome of combating terrorism than for any other country. And the new democratic government is relatively better suited to prevent and counter terrorism

The importance of Pakistan for the US at this time can be gauged by the fact that it is constantly featured in the US media, albeit mostly for the wrong reasons. Various facets of relationship are frequently discussed in both houses of Congress and Pakistan keeps coming up as a leading foreign policy issue for the presidential candidates.

Moreover, top administration officials have made several visits to Pakistan to remain abreast of internal developments. From the US’ perspective, the centre of global Islamic radicalism has shifted to FATA, although many in Pakistan would disagree and consider it as a tactic to shift responsibility for their own failures.

There is also a prevailing perception that the US and NATO’s policy for this region is motivated by lucrative economic and strategic interests, apart from combating terrorism.

For Pakistan too, no country influences its internal dynamic more than the United States, especially now because of its close links directly through NATO in the “war on terror”.

And if we go back in history, one of the main reasons for Pakistan aligning so closely with the US was to countervail India. This largely still holds true, despite India’s growing proximity to Washington.

A classic example of this was illustrated immediately after 9/11 when Pakistan was confronted with the US president’s ultimatum to be enlisted in the war on terror as a key ally. President Musharraf showed undue haste in agreeing to the US demands on the plea that apart from other reasons if Islamabad had refused, India which had already conveyed its willingness would have acted as a conduit for logistic support.

The assumption is that Islamabad’s multiple links with the super power serve as a balancer. In addition to the security relationship, Islamabad is closely linked and dependent on the US for economic assistance, its social sector’s uplift and strategic gains.

On the other hand, there is a pervasive and strong anti-American sentiment in the public that places great strains on the bilateral relationship and makes the task of the government difficult. To many in this country the US is fighting an endless war and we are being forced into it, notwithstanding latest efforts of the government to correct this impression.

The belligerent unilateralism and discriminatory attitude of the Bush administration toward Muslim causes has also driven people toward taking an anti-US stance. Lack of shared values and misperceptions about the clash of civilisations has not been helpful in bringing the two countries closer. Bush administration’s support to Musharraf and their alleged interference in Pakistan’s domestic politics has also given rise to resentment among people.

The colonial legacy and the lack of legitimacy of the military rulers has made us a little too dependent on the US and we frequently look to Washington to solve even our domestic and external problems. This makes the task of getting people’s support to fight terrorism difficult.

The wide spread anti-American sentiment clearly restrains the freedom of the new government in developing a closer relationship with Washington and its greatest challenge would be to reconcile the security and economic demands with political compulsions.

Hopefully, as the United States and Pakistan deepen and broaden their cooperation and develop a multifaceted relationship in economic and social sectors the gap between the attitude of the people and the relationship of governments would close. The US being Pakistan’s largest trading partner opening of its markets will contribute toward placing our trade and commercial relations on a sound footing.

Whereas the US-Pak military relationship has always been close, there seem to be misgivings among intelligence and law enforcement agencies on issues related to the war on terror. The F-16 issue too is both substantive and symbolic and any delay in the implementation of its delivery is poorly perceived.

For smoother relationship all these anomalies have to be corrected. Washington cannot overlook the reality that Islamabad has extended unprecedented cooperation. The unfortunate part is that whereas US does praise Pakistan for its cooperation, it is also highly critical of Pakistan for being a major centre of Islamic radicalism.

Washington and the West conveniently forget that in many ways their past and present actions have contributed to the spread of militancy. This blame game and these pressure tactics only weaken the relationship and strengthen militants.

What the world and especially the US has to appreciate is that there is more at stake for Pakistan in the successful outcome of combating terrorism than for any other country. And the new democratic government is relatively better suited to prevent and counter terrorism and build a more balanced and comprehensive relationship.

Even in the best of times, the US-Pak relations have been beset with underlying tensions. But never before have the two governments confronted such conflicting pulls and pushes as are occurring today, which could truly tear apart their fragile alliance.

Regrettably, and as much ironically, the deep turbulence in their relationship comes at a time when both countries desperately need each other. There are multiple factors which are causing this rupture and it would require a deep understanding and most astute handling from both sides to restore the trust and confidence so necessary to give substance to the partnership.

Firstly, as has been wisely pointed out by Senator Biden, the US should follow Pakistan-oriented instead of Musharraf-centric policy. Supporting military rulers and simultaneously passing legislation that requires the US President to certify that Pakistan is making progress in its democratic evolution exemplifies Washington’s mixed and contradictory policies. Nonetheless, due to a Democrat dominated Congress and the likelihood of a Democratic President at the White House there will genuine support for democracy in Pakistan.

The latest US legislation which conditions its assistance upon progress on major issues truly defines its areas of interest. Pakistan’s relations with the US in the near future will hinge on progress made on them. It is important to analyse how we are likely to fare in these areas and what the major impediments will be.

The writer is a retired lieutenant general and can be contacted at talat@comsats.net.pk

whoops
sorry for the repeat post!

Back
Top Bottom