What's new

Strategic dialogue: US curbs don’t apply to Iran-Pakistan pipeline, says FO

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan has told the United States that it will not abandon its plans to import natural gas from Iran, arguing that economic sanctions on Tehran are not applicable to the multibillion dollar project, an official said on Friday.

At his weekly news briefing, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Pakistan had handed over a ‘non-paper’ to US Secretary of State John Kerry informing Washington about its perspective on the Iran gas pipeline project.

“The rationale for giving a non paper to the US was to convey our perspective, with particular reference to whether or not this project would attract US sanctions. In our legal assessment, the US sanctions do not apply on this project,” Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry said.

He pointed out that Pakistan’s energy requirements “warrant that we explore all possible options, including the Pakistan-Iran pipeline project.”

“Our side has shared our perspective and understanding of these issues with the US side,” the spokesman said.

Washington has long been pushing Islamabad to abandon the multibillion dollar project and threatened to impose economic sanctions if it goes ahead with the plan. But the non-paper clearly suggests that the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has no plans to reverse the decision of the Pakistan Peoples Party government, which signed the historic deal with Iran.

Answering a question, the spokesman termed John Kerry’s recent visit as ‘successful’, saying his trip had contributed to strengthening Pakistan-US bilateral relationship.

“The strategic dialogue has been resumed. The five working groups under the ambit of the strategic dialogue will meet in the coming months culminating with ministerial level strategic dialogue within six months,” he said.

The working groups will discuss proposals and projects in energy, economic and finance, counter terrorism and other areas, he informed reporters.

“We thus have a solid framework in place now to pursue tangible cooperation between the two countries,” the spokesman said.

He said Pakistan conveyed its concerns to Kerry about the CIA-led drone campaign in the tribal areas. On Aafia Siddiqui’s repatriation, the spokesman maintained that the issue did not come up for discussion since Pakistan and the US had no prisoner exchange treaty.
Pakistan-India talks

The spokesman confirmed that Pakistan proposed dates for talks on Wullar Barrage and Sir Creek issues with India under the composite dialogue.

“There are indications that the composite dialogue will resume soon. The leadership of the two countries has already expressed the desire to see improved relations between the two countries,” he said.

He said the Pakistani side had proposed dates for two of the eight segments of the composite dialogue.

“We are yet to hear from the Indian side whether those dates are convenient for them. Similarly, the Indian side is also expected to propose dates of the events that it is to host,” he said.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 3rd, 2013.

“The rationale for giving a non paper to the US was to convey our perspective, with particular reference to whether or not this project would attract US sanctions. In our legal assessment, the US sanctions do not apply on this project,” Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry said.................
Published in The Express Tribune, August 3rd, 2013.

So what will Chaudhry Sahib say when USA State Department rejects that "legal assessment" and says that the project is subject to sanctions?

So what will Chaudhry Sahib say when USA State Department rejects that "legal assessment" and says that the project is subject to sanctions?

I am not really sure if the FO would have delivered a statement without taking this into account . Next , the news already says that John Kerry was handed over a paper stating the Pakistani perspective and he didn't object to it .

I am not really sure if the FO would have delivered a statement without taking this into account . Next , the news already says that John Kerry was handed over a paper stating the Pakistani perspective and he didn't object to it .

The lack of immediate objection is typical way of State department working. They will take thier time to formulate a response at a later date, taking into account all ramifications for the region and US policy goals in the region.

The lack of immediate objection is typical way of State department working. They will take thier time to formulate a response at a later date, taking into account all ramifications for the region and US policy goals in the region.

Well , that remains to be seen . I am sure if the Yanks want some more cooperation , there are concessions they would have to make for Pakistan . The Afghanistan is somehow still important for them , even after 2014 , isn't it ?

Well , that remains to be seen . I am sure if the Yanks want some more cooperation , there are concessions they would have to make for Pakistan . The Afghanistan is somehow still important for them , even after 2014 , isn't it ?

Yes, that is my point too. What US response is going to be to this push by us to get some concessions remains to be seen. We have overplayed our hand many times in the past so I am not very hopeful this time either.

and i wonder for how long are we going to play that card- eventually we will run out of options, and given the track record, (north waziristan, haqqani group- a designated terrorist group by state department) they will in fact play us to implement their agenda in the region

and i wonder for how long are we going to play that card- eventually we will run out of options, and given the track record, (north waziristan, haqqani group- a designated terrorist group by state department) they will in fact play us to implement their agenda in the region

We ran out of options after closing the supply routes that we had to re-open without much to show for the closure.

Pakistan Military should Re-Design its complete Foreign Policy now... high-time rather then becoming US phetto hamesha ke tarhan!

We ran out of options after closing the supply routes that we had to re-open without much to show for the closure.

well that has been more like Establishment vs Pentagon - an declared war between both armies. both had been playing each other, iWhen routes were closed- CSF was stopped and so did the military equipment to us, we refused to lanuch attack Haqqanis, they declared them terrorists, so that has been a good match. 2014 is the last thing on the cars as i can see it

Pakistan Military should Re-Design its complete Foreign Policy now... high-time rather then becoming US phetto hamesha ke tarhan!

well the first thing I wouldlike JSHQ to do is effing formulate/ review their defence policy, leave the Foreign policy to civilian govt, if they want a hand in it ( which should be) than assist them in it

Back
Top Bottom