What's new

Sri Lankans happy to be in Pakistan

Dance

Reaction score
KARACHI: The Sri Lankan tennis team defied security concerns by coming to Pakistan to feature in the UBL international hard court tennis championship which is underway at the Karachi Gymkhana.

“I’m happy to be in Pakistan and the visit will strengthen the existing cordial ties between our two countries,” an optimistic coach of the visiting team Dinith Pathiraja, told Dawn soon after arrival on Sunday evening.

Dinith, who is on his maiden trip to the country, is accompanied by three boys and two girls. They included national champion and Davis Cupper Thangarajah Dineshkanthan, junior under-16 champion Nishangan Nadaraja, junior under-18 player Madusha Wijesuriya, under-14 girl player Hasindhi Lokuge and unseeded Khadija Khan.

Thangarajah Dineshkanthan is the only player who has visited the country before.

The visiting official, who is associated with the team as coach for a decade now, said his tennis federation was pleased after receiving an invitation for the event.

He said two promising players, under-14 Chehan Fernando and national ladies champion could not make it to the trip.

The former, who was selected in the ITF traveling team on his performance at Myanmar this year, was down with dengue epidemic while the latter was occupied with her examinations.

He replied in negative when asked was there any fear before coming to Pakistan and added “we too have overcome turmoil”.

Pakistan’s ace player Aqeel Khan had a one month coaching stint with the Sri Lankan Davis Cup team earlier this year.

It is pertinent to mention that Sri Lankan cricket team came under deadly attack in Lahore in March 2009 that tarnished Pakistan’s image globally putting an embargo on foreign teams visit to the country.—Sports Correspondent

Sri Lankans happy to be in Pakistan | Sport | DAWN.COM

Had a good sri lankan friend when my father was posted at arty school,Nowshehra.... his father was doing some course there.... they were from Kandy....

Thank You our Sri Lankan friends.

they r felling bad after burning their AsSSssss

How does it matter if X/Y/Z plays in Pak or not..India holds its opinion about not playing in Pakistan becoz Indian players face the threat...not every country face the threat as we do..that is why we held an opinion about not to travel...

About them i don't know, but about you i am 100% sure your A$$ temprature is more then 100°C now :lol:

Indian blind cricket team and lots of other sports team had already visited Pakistan before ur Srilankan friends visited and said the same sort of things...But i did not see u thanking them..y? was ur A$$ burning seeing Indians coming to Pakistan??:angry:

How does it matter if X/Y/Z plays in Pak or not..India holds its opinion about not playing in Pakistan becoz Indian players face the threat...not every country face the threat as we do..that is why we held an opinion about not to travel...

How does it matter if X/Y/Z plays in Pak or not...India holds its opinion about not playing in Pakistan becoz Indian players face the threat from indian govt & hindu extremists (remember IPL shetty, zina, n shahrukh)...not every country face the threat as we do..that is why we held an opinion that non of the country shoul travel to Pakistan.

now the complete sentence...:D

How does it matter if X/Y/Z plays in Pak or not...India holds its opinion about not playing in Pakistan becoz Indian players face the threat from indian govt & hindu extremists (remember IPL shetty, zina, n shahrukh)...not every country face the threat as we do..that is why we held an opinion that non of the country shoul travel to Pakistan.

above would is complete sentence...:D

:rofl::rofl:

Indian blind cricket team and lots of other sports team had already visited Pakistan before ur Srilankan friends visited and said the same sort of things...But i did not see u thanking them..y? was ur A$$ burning seeing Indians coming to Pakistan??:angry:

& the same indian blind team threaten to run without completing the series if they lost every match...:D

do you seriously expect us to send atheletes over based on the anectodal experience of 5 Sri Lankan Atheletes? Especially when a deadly attack against the Sri Lankan team occured not even 3 years ago?

Are you nuts? :P That's like saying Afghanistan is safe my chacha just came back from there! haha

no thanks...no interest in coming to pak.. :P

Lankan cricket team must have said the same before the attack on them

Lankan cricket team must have said the same before the attack on them

& indians were on fire the same way & the attack on them happens ....

now Pakistan security forces must have an eye on them i say close even Wagha border for some time....till the teams go frm Pakistan safely

Back
Top Bottom