What's new

SRI LANKA TO BUY CHINA MADE JF-17 FIGHTER AIRCRAFT

The SL Air force hasn't taken a clear decsion yet. It seems they are divided on Mig-29 or Jf-17 (HAL tejas doesnt seem to be in the competetion)
jf-17 and mig-29 uses same engine but mig is dual engine jet so it needs more maintenance.. and also mig-29 is about to be retired from services where as jf-17 is new comer..

so far i have observed the SLAF had largely come into contact with lightweight fighter aircraft such as the JF-17, if they did;t buy JF-17, it is likely that they will be interested in acquiring the Yakovlev Yak-130 from Russia which is a fighter trainer jet and could be used for precision-strike operations. basic models have a price tag of 15 million $ but using them as a war machine will cost much more than that.

A less likely route could be refurbished MiG-29s. Although a plausible option, it is unclear if Mikoyan has any interest in refurbishing and upgrading used airframes. Moreover, the cost of such a product could be unattractive to Mikoyan, which would prefer channeling orders to its production line.

therefore, JF-17 is still the best available option for SLF

It seems a tough nut for Sri Lankans to crack. They can not withstand the Indian pressure. They will eventually go for Russian Mig29. But that will cost them much in long term b/c of twin engine maintenance saga. LCA Tejas, I think, needs a bit more time to become a serious candidate for this bid. Though LCA Tejas would have also been a good option for Sri Lanka.

Lol.Now it turns out that Lanka president has himself rejected JF-17 and has decided to go with Russian jets.:)

http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2016/05/01/fierce-dragon-wheeler-dealers-pounding-sri-lanka-air-force/

While I too doubt that SL is going to buy the JF-17 at this point, I would like to point out how one cannot take anything factual from your article as well, given that it states that SL can buy the same plane from reputable russian sources for less. While I agree $29million is too much for JF-17 and their seems to be kickbacks if that really is the deal (shame on Pakistan and China if that is the case), but 1) Their is NO RUSSIAN source for the same plane (they have little hand except the engine) and 2) New Migs will cost more than $29M so it must be refurbished aircraft.

LCA won't go from one corner of Sri Lanka to another without being refueled again.
Exactly...That was the point I have stated 1 month ago:
"TEJAS CAN"T FLY FROM TAMIL NADU TO GOA WITHOUT AERIAL REFUELLING"

But I Don't think so Srilanka will sum up the deal with Pakistan....
My 6th sense say to me they will again betray us as they did before...

@Horus @DESERT FIGHTER Fighter @Windjammer @Tripoli

Sri Lanka would rather go for this then the LCA, if JF-17 deal does not materialise.
Kfir Block 60
: Upgraded version of the C.10, The main feature of this variant is the use of AESA radar.

They will choose neither. They will go with a thrid option. The Sri Lankan leadership wishes to stay as neutral as possible. For example, at one point they have resumed the construction of the Colombo Port City while trying to increase economic cooperation with India.

Sri Lanka never betrayed Pakistan. They actually bought Al- Khalid tanks and other small weapons from us.
They are trying their best to stay out of geopolitical conflicts. I don't blame them for doing so.

Exactly...That was the point I have stated 1 month ago:
"TEJAS CAN"T FLY FROM TAMIL NADU TO GOA WITHOUT AERIAL REFUELLING"

But I Don't think so Sri Lanka will sum up the deal with Pakistan....
My 6th sense say to me they will again betray us as they did before...

@Horus @DESERT FIGHTER Fighter @Windjammer @Tripoli

Its China and Pakistan made JF-17 and second thing JF-17 is far far better than those tejas which india is trying to offer colombo.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/wor...-fighter-planes/2016/08/10/article3573346.ece

Lankan cabinet approves Sirisena's proposal to buy fighter planes

By P.K.Balachandran

Published: 10th August 2016 11:32 PM

COLOMBO: The Sri Lankan Cabinet has approved a proposal by President Maithripala Sirisena to purchase new multirole fighter aircraft and associated weapons for the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF), Cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne announced on Wednesday.

India and Pakistan are likely to bid for the supply with India offering its indigenously madee Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, and Pakistan offering the JF-17 Thunder fighter which it is making in collaboration with China.

The Sri Lankan cabinet spokesman said that the government will call for expressions of interest for the purchase of around 8-12 fighter jets. The fighter aircraft of the SLAF have been aging and it is important to upgrade the equipment to maintain security and be prepared for any unexpected threat, he explained.

The cabinet approved a proposal by President Sirisena, in his capacity as the Minister of Defense, to obtain expressions of interest from interested aircraft manufacturers, assistant manufacturers, and authorized government agents. The deal will be on a government to government basis.-

The speculation is that during his recent visit to Sri Lanka, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) chief, Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman, might have pushed the case of the F-17 Thunder fighter aircraft which Pakistan is producing in collaboration with China.

A serious attempt was made by Pakistan in late 2015 and early 2016 to sell the JF-17s to Sri Lanka in a US$ 400 million deal financed by Pakistan. But the attempt failed because India stood in the way through diplomatic action, as it considered Sri Lanka to be within its areas of influence in strategic terms.

Given the deteriorating relations between India and Pakistan as a result of the month-long violent agitation in Kashmir which Pakistan is openly exploiting to push its agenda, it is very likely that India will be concerned if there are renewed efforts by the Sri Lankans and Pakistanis to strike a deal over the F-17s.

However, Sri Lanka’s Defense Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi said in an interview recently, that no decision had been taken on which aircraft to buy and from which country. At any rate, any purchase would be done after floating a tender and calling for bids as per standard government procedure, he added.

In 2015 and early 2016, India had no alternative to offer because its indigenously produced Light Combat Aircraft Tejas was still being developed. However, Sri Lanka’s state owned Sunday Observer carried a story quoting Sri Lankan Air Force commander, Air Marshal Gagan Bulathsinghala, as saying that India had offered Tejas as an alternative. Subsequently, the Air Force spokesman denied the Sunday Observer story.

But India can offer Tejas now, as it has been test flown successfully and some aircraft are to join the Indian Air Force soon.

jf-17 and mig-29 uses same engine but mig is dual engine jet so it needs more maintenance.. and also mig-29 is about to be retired from services where as jf-17 is new comer..

IAF mig-29 use the RD-33
The JF-17 uses the RD-93

The MiG-29 is a good buy for $25 million. I doubt it is available for that price

IAF mig-29 use the RD-33
The JF-17 uses the RD-93

The MiG-29 is a good buy for $25 million. I doubt it is available for that price
RD-93 and RD-33 are from same family engine..
RD-93 has just more thrust as compared to RD-33..

recently Egypt buys mig-29 at the price of $43.5 million/each..

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom