What's new

Sri Lanka Govt: Indian devolution model cannot be replicated in Sri Lanka

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sri Lanka Govt: Indian devolution model cannot be replicated in Sri Lanka

The Sri Lankan government said yesterday that it was not prepared to adopt the Indian devolution model in Sri Lanka.

Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwalle,addressing the weekly cabinet press briefing in Colombo,said that ITAK which claims to represent the Tamil people,was trying to create a de-facto state by laying down conditions such as the re-merger of the North and East and land and police powers for the two provinces.

"If we grant their wishes the President and other leaders in the South,would have to obtain permission to visit the North-East" ,he said adding that ITAK was trying to replicate the Indian system in Sri Lanka,which was not acceptable.

Rambukwalle said that India’s Prime Minister and leaders at the Center have to seek approval from the Chief Ministers,before they visit any of the States,which was the height of absurdity.

The ITAK has a huge responsibility in assisting the government to resolve the ethnic issue and should participate in the Parliamentary Select Committee, that has been established for the purpose,he observed.

The Island

Rambukwalle said that India’s Prime Minister and leaders at the Center have to seek approval from the Chief Ministers,before they visit any of the States,which was the height of absurdity

totally a uncalled comment ...

Our current system is fine, why need to impose a special area and special rights to some percentage of one race while rest of that race living peacefully around the country.
Indian system is unique to India but it's not matching to Sri Lanka, I don't want to see no go zones in my country. We are living in 21st century we should implement/secure the equal rights of every Sri Lankan who lives in any where of the country but it should not be base on ethic. Our current Constitution is far better, it doesn't mention any race, allow equal rights to every one. what we have to do is secure those rights in every citizen.

Our current system is fine, why need to impose a special area and special rights to some percentage of one race while rest of that race living peacefully around the country.
Indian system is unique to India but it's not matching to Sri Lanka, I don't want to see no go zones in my country. We are living in 21st century we should implement/secure the equal rights of every Sri Lankan who lives in any where of the country but it should not be base on ethic. Our current Constitution is far better, it doesn't mention any race, allow equal rights to every one. what we have to do is secure those rights in every citizen.

Ur constitution is better coz it does not mention any race..what a joke??? It does not recognize Tamils or their langauge..Tamils even have to speak only in Sinhalese..U guys want Tamils to learn ur language, but Sinhalese do not need to learn Tamil..!!!

Equal rights is big joke!!..How may Tamils are their in ur Armed forces?? How many civil servants are Tamil..

Tell me One important question..If a Tamil and Sinhalese want to talk to each other..What Language should they speak in???

Ugh, is India bullying Sri Lanka again?

Ur constitution is better coz it does not mention any race..what a joke??? It does not recognize Tamils or their langauge..Tamils even have to speak only in Sinhalese..U guys want Tamils to learn ur language, but Sinhalese do not need to learn Tamil..!!!

Equal rights is big joke!!..How may Tamils are their in ur Armed forces?? How many civil servants are Tamil..

Tell me One important question..If a Tamil and Sinhalese want to talk to each other..What Language should they speak in???

you haven't knowledge about SL, Language "Tamil" not only spoken by Tamils, Some percentage of Moors also using Tamil.
Our Constitution respects native language of citizens, Not only Tamil, Malay people can use their own language.

Every Sri Lankan should learn Sinhala, Tamil and English. I did learn Tamil at school for 3 years, I can read/write Tamil but don't know the meanings.

There are tons of Tamil civil servants, do you think Tamils aren't doing jobs in SL ? LOL Just check governments officers!!!
There are Tamil military officers but percentage is low coz of the security reason but Police has recently more officers.

what a stupid question. If that was a Sinhalese, he will speak in Sinhala first coz over 90% know Sinhala language, If that person doesn't know Sinhala then he will ask in Tamil or English. if non of working well then sign language will help. Fortunately I didn't born in India otherwise I'll have to learn dozens of languages according to your theory. :D

As much as I agree that Indian system is unique to India, Sri Lanka should introspect why there was a Civil war in their country. The main reason for systematic marginalization of Tamils (or at least perceived marginalization).

Unless Singhalese allay the fears of the minority any kind of system put in place will not work.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Ugh, is India bullying Sri Lanka again?
Ugh, are you trolling again ?

Rambukwalle said that India’s Prime Minister and leaders at the Center have to seek approval from the Chief Ministers,before they visit any of the States,which was the height of absurdity

totally a uncalled comment ...

Yes, Every Indian had a right to settle anywhere in India... I hope buying property in J&K alone was not allowed. India being like that will its state stop the PM of the nation? Utterly stupid.

As much as I agree that Indian system is unique to India, Sri Lanka should introspect why there was a Civil war in their country. The main reason for systematic marginalization of Tamils (or at least perceived marginalization).

Unless Singhalese allay the fears of the minority any kind of system put in place will not work.

I like to see more implements of democracy in SL away from POLITICS. I strongly believe our Police should be more independent institution!

I like to see more implements of democracy in SL away from POLITICS. I strongly believe our Police should be more independent institution!

But it should be under SL President and Home ministry!

what a stupid question. If that was a Sinhalese, he will speak in Sinhala first coz over 90% know Sinhala language, If that person doesn't know Sinhala then he will ask in Tamil or English. if non of working well then sign language will help. Fortunately I didn't born in India otherwise I'll have to learn dozens of languages according to your theory. :D

What a dumb opinion!! In India, if u know English that will be enough..coz English is one of our official languages.Fortunately we didnot have politicians as stupid as urs are..They predicted the problems a multi lingual country will face(and as Srilanka faces today). To allay fear of minority language speakers, they introduced a language which would not be common to both minority and majority language speakers.So a Hindi speaking person need to know just english and Tamil speaking person needs to english(which btw is taught in every state)..so my question still stands..how does a Tamil and Sinhalese who dont know the opposite language speak to each other? I hope u have better solution than sign language!! It will be very funny to watch Sinhalese and Tamil officials doing their daily business in Sign language!!

To ur point that Tamil military officers are not taken because of Security reasons, i must say i am just astounded !!!

Security for whom and to whom??? Nice way to show ur prejudices towards Tamils and u have temerity to say that All are equal in Srilanka..

btw, I too agree fortunately for us, u were not born in India !!:wave:

Back
Top Bottom