What's new

Spotted: India's Ratan Tata in Honda car

Everything a company does -- everything -- is ultimately geared to build a brand because that is what customers buy: the brand. Even the engineering excellence is subservient to that ultimate goal.

The brand of Jaguar and Land Rover is British, not Indian. I can guarantee you that all of Tata's marketing aims to revive -- yes revive, because the brand was painstakingly built over decades -- the notion that you are buying the best of British excellence, not Indian.

If Tata advertised Jaguar as an "Indian car", the brand would be destroyed.

Luckily for TATA and our economy, they are not doing it. Its good, right?. Their excellence, our money.

Still my point, We OWN it. We do not NEED to excell in engineering if we can buy them.

I mean, isn't it easier to buy it once it is built? :P

What's there in a name? Paisa aana chahiye bas

Luckily for TATA and our economy, they are not doing it. Its good, right?. Their excellence, our money.

Still my point, We OWN it. We do not NEED to excell in engineering if we can buy them.

I mean, isn't it easier to buy it once it is built? :P

What's there in a name? Paisa aana chahiye bas

Of course. No one has ever denied that whatever excellence it is, it is ultimately benefiting Indian coffers.

HE IS NOT POOR LIKE U & ME HE MAY HAVE MANY NUMBER OF CARS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS :)

Everything a company does -- everything -- is ultimately geared to build a brand because that is what customers buy: the brand. Even the engineering excellence is subservient to that ultimate goal.

The brand of Jaguar and Land Rover is British, not Indian. I can guarantee you that all of Tata's marketing aims to revive -- yes revive, because the brand was painstakingly built over decades -- the notion that you are buying the best of British excellence, not Indian.

If Tata advertised Jaguar as an "Indian car", the brand would be destroyed.

I don't see how you have rebutted any of my arguments.

Tata Motors, for the longest time, has been a manufacturer of CVs i.e. trucks and buses. Obviously, they wouldn't like to sell exotic pieces of automotive machinery as having been made by low-end truck manufacturers.

But branding and brand positioning is yet another function of other aspects of the business such as management, strategy and finance, which are again very typical of the Tata Group and its art of doing business in India.

I don't see how you have rebutted any of my arguments.

You guys are claiming that Jaguar is an Indian company. I am saying that, yes true, but Tata is making damn sure the customers see it as a British company, not an Indian company because the brand is built around British excellence.

You guys are claiming that Jaguar is an Indian company. I am saying that, yes true, but Tata is making damn sure the customers see it as a British company, not an Indian company because the brand is built around British excellence.

Makes marketing sense doesnt it ?

The product is owned by Indians , sold to the Brits or whoever, profits goes to the Indian owner who is free to either plough it back locally in upgrades / expansion or repatriate it elsewhere following laws of course.

Thats how Multi Nationals work.

No thick skulls but a reality check to Indians that buying a company which has built its reputation over decades does not entitle you to claim its engineering excellence as your own achievement.

Here's another free example to make my point: all the fancy marvels of construction in Dubai do not give credit to the Arabs who write the checks, but to the architects, engineers and construction companies who actually build those constructs.

True .But but , what about the marketing and management of the company as whole which is being done by Indians ? These things also matter majorly right ? No ? :what:

Bottomline- These are Indian cars now.

Makes marketing sense doesnt it ?

The product is owned by Indians , sold to the Brits or whoever, profits goes to the Indian owner who is free to either plough it back locally in upgrades / expansion or repatriate it elsewhere following laws of course.

Thats how Multi Nationals work.

And I never disputed any of it.

True .But but , what about the marketing and management of the company as whole which is being done by Indians ? These things also matter majorly right ? No ? :what:

Already addressed.

You appear to have a myopic view of the auto sector. There is an entire universe of functions that have to be performed to arrive at the beauties that we grow to fancy.

India, through Tata Motors, has effectively wrested control of the company and now guides the universe of functions into making of Jaguars and (my favorite) Land Rovers. By infusing about USD 2.3 billion, a unique formula of management into the company and mentoring the production cycle, JLR is now, for all effective purposes, an Indian company.

Kevin Stride, the chief engineer of the highly-acclaimed XF program said in 2009 -
Since Tata have come in, we’ve now got an insight into how they deal with Indian sources and sources within the whole of South-East Asia. My perception is that they are extremely focused businessmen and extremely principled in what they do, which is great coaching for us as a company. We’ve gone and looked at how they operate as a company – how they source components, how they design them, how they manufacture them – and we’ve got quite a bit to learn from them on the business side.

Jaguar Land-Rover thrives under Tata and fuels Tata Motors profits | The k2p blog

As for the British legacy, it has great sentimental value and if exploited proactively, would prove to be extremely profitable as well. But I still don't see how this marketing ploy supports your arguments, questioning the "indianness" of JLR.

As for the British legacy, it has great sentimental value and if exploited proactively, would prove to be extremely profitable as well. But I still don't see how this marketing ploy supports your arguments, questioning the "indianness" of JLR.

No one's disputing that Tata, Inc. are better businessmen than the previous owners; the mere fact that Ford couldn't run the company profitably is proof enough.

However, since you agree that customers buy the brand, what is "brand Jaguar"?
Is it reliability? Laughably no!
Performance? If you are after top performance, there are better alternatives.
Then what?

The answer is that "brand Jaguar" is a specific combination of reliability, performance and elegance. For any one aspect, you can find better alternatives, but for a specific combination of these qualities, Jaguar has built itself a niche. That niche was built long before Tata came along using British resources, it had no Indian contribution as such, and Tata's whole strategy is to retain (and expand) that niche. If, in a decade, Jaguar starts rivaling Toyota in reliability and that change came about due to Indian effort, then you could justifiably claim an Indian contribution to that brand.

The overt association with India and TATA may very well ruin the brands. Ford never advertised the brands as American and nor does VW associate Lamborghini with Germany, and in fact makes of a point of displaying the italian flag at auto shows. The brands perception is what gives it value.

A look at GM's European brands will have you amazed that they are owned by an American company.

7 pages on stupid topic.... lol.... :omghaha: some people need job... other wise this kinda threads will come more n more...

If Ratan TATA had any idea that using a Honda car would have been such a serious issue in PDF... I am sure he might have stopped using CAR (let alone Honda)

Dont know whats wrong if he onces uses Honda Car

Ratan Tata is lover of Cars...he own honda, ferrari, mercedes, Volvo and many other cars for personal use. His collection of cars includes SUVs to Highspeed cars.

I dont know why i cant post a link about a article from autocarindia.com to show his carziness of having different cars.

Dont know whats wrong if he onces uses Honda Car

Ratan Tata is lover of Cars...he own honda, ferrari, mercedes, Volvo and many other cars for personal use. His collection of cars includes SUVs to Highspeed cars.

I dont know why i cant post a link about a article from autocarindia.com to show his carziness of having different cars.

Here you go mate,

Ratan Tata and his cars | News | Autocar India

Back
Top Bottom