What's new

Sopore Killings: Sheikh loses 2nd son, says he knew Altaf after his death

Burhan Wani

STAFF
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Altaf never joined any militant outfit. But yes, he always yearned for the solution of Kashmir issue and would play his part for it.
2015_6$largeimg222_Jun_2015_221023670.jpg

Sheikh Muhammad Yousuf of Iqbal Nagar Sopore has spent 51 years with Jamaat-e-Islami. He is a known figure in entire Sopore due to his religious and social contributions.

In 2000, Sheikh lost his younger son, Rouf Ahmed, who was killed by armed forces in Srinagar.

“Rouf had done Phd in Islamic Studies from Aligarh University. On December 25, 2000, he was beheaded on his return from Aligarh in Srinagar by forces. I received his body in two parts—first his head and then the rest,” says Sheikh. His elder son, Altaf Ahmed, a pharmacist in Sub-District Hospital Sopore, who was also affiliated with Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Geelani, fell to the bullets of unknown gunmen earlier this month. Altaf is one among the six people killed in a spate of recent attacks in Sopore.

“With Altaf’s death, I lost both my sons,” says elderly Sheikh. “Altaf never joined any militant outfit. But yes, he always yearned for the solution of Kashmir issue and would play his part for it.” Altaf’s eldest daughter studies in 9th standard, second one in 5th and son in class one.

Sitting in a corner of his house, Sheikh says he knew “real Altaf” after his death. “This was what he used to do with his salary,” he says while pointing towards two small rice bags meant for widows and orphans. “My son was a government employee. He would earn over Rs 30000 salary a month and spent almost entire amount on feeding widows and orphans. When he died, all those widows and orphans came here wailing over the body of my son. They cried who would feed them now.”

With wrinkles on his face, Sheikh says nobody can challenge Allah’s decisions but at this stage he was looking for a “smooth life.” “I am 72 and not able to do much. But Altaf has left behind a huge responsibility for me—his wife, two daughters and a son. This is the biggest responsibility for me which I have to shoulder. Now I pray for steadfastness so that I could fulfil my responsibility,” he says. Altaf’s mother is in a deep shock, rather lost in deep thoughts. “She is in a shock,” says Sheikh.

According to Sheikh, his son knew something untoward would happen to him. “He was mentally occupied due to the threats he would receive every day,” he says. “My son was tortured many a times. He would always receive threats from policemen either to continue with government job or leave Hurriyat.”

On June 9, some people had gone to Altaf’s room in the hospital, but he was not present there. “On way to his home, he smelled that something would happen to him as the roads leading to his home witnessed the presence of Special Task Force (STF),” Sheikh alleged. “As he tried to choose another route, the forces fired a shot in air to create fear. A woman saw two people dragging Altaf to a lane and pumping many bullets into his chest.”
11407110_413799145459809_6915958111514186798_n.jpg

Sheikh is busy thinking about the future of Altaf’s children. “I will not let them down. As long as I am alive, I will stay behind them,” he says amid sobs. Sheikh, however, has a grudge that not even a single person from the administration visited his house. “You talk about inquiry; they didn’t bother to visit us to express sympathy. The fate of inquiries is quite clear. All inquires ordered over the past 60 years have proved futile.”
Sopore Killings: Sheikh loses 2nd son, says he knew Altaf after his death
@Zarvan @DESERT FIGHTER @Horus @waz @rockstar08 @Shamain @levina @fakhre mirpur @Umair Nawaz

I hold Geelani responsible for Altaf's death, this man has been misleading innocent kashmiris. He's hypocrite who gets pension and medical facilities from the Indian government but says "kashmir doesnt belong to india".

This is how kashmiris are mislead by Geelani..

I hold Geelani responsible for Altaf's death, this man has been misleading innocent kashmiris. He's hypocrite who gets pension and medical facilities from the Indian government but says "kashmir doesnt belong to india".

This is what kashmiris have to say link
So what is wrong with it?
kahsmir is a disputed territory no one can claim it.

So what is wrong with it?
kahsmir is a disputed territory no one can claim it.

Go ahead and watch the video, you will see how Geelani and his party got exposed.
Kashmir is a disputed territory, but lets accept it that neither Pakistan or India would like militant malaise on their side of the border. Kashmir would not remain a disputed territory the day we (your country & mine) give away our claim on part of kashmir lying across the border, this is the most convivial solution that I see to this problem.

Last edited:
Go ahead and watch the video, you will see how Geelani and his party got exposed.
Kashmir is a disputed territory, but lets accept it neither Pakistan or India would like militant malaise on their side of the border. Kashmir would not remain a disputed territory the day we (your country & mine) give away our claim on part of kashmir lying across the border, this is the most convivial solution that I see to this problem.
Can you justify Altaf's murder with your statements?

I am sure there's FIR registered and the police must be working on it. Btw I dont work for J&K police. :)
Political answer sister. I know no one will care about his death.

Political answer sister. I know no one will care about his death.
Unfortunate but true.
Except his family not even the party to which he belonged really cares for his death. Trust me, his name would be used by likes of Geelani in all the party rallies but the same ppl would turn a blind eye towards his family.

Back
Top Bottom