What's new

Solving Pakistan's economic problems: Strategic guidance for the economy

theboat

New Recruit

Reaction score
I'm creating this thread to discuss and propose solutions for permanently solving Pakistan's economic problems. In the 1960s, countries like South Korea used to study Pakistan's economic and industrial progress to model their own industries after. But today, Pakistan's economy lies in tatters while Asia leaps ahead.

In essence, this thread is about saving Pakistan from its own internal problems that are threatening its very survival today.

So what can be done? How can we save Pakistan's economy, thereby saving Pakistan? How can we contribute to an economy that serves the majority of Pakistan's people, by lifting their living standards and improving their quality of life?

To start it off, I present a few points about the economy:

1. Tax and Fiscal problems

The tax base should be broadened to include all of Pakistan's citizens. Currently, only a narrow minority of salaried individuals pay tax, that too in the public sector.

See List of countries by tax revenue as percentage of GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The agriculture sector and most of the private sector doesn't pay income tax. We need to get national consensus to tax agriculture and business for the survival of Pakistan.

Unfortunately, the problem here is that the rich of Pakistan don't see others, or those poorer than them, as their fellow citizens. There is a lack of concept of nationhood, and the rich don't want to pay for the public services for the poor.

Hence nobody wants to pay tax, because they don't want to pay for "free" services for the rest of their countrymen. This perverse mentality has to change.

To make up for the lack of income tax, the government charges sales tax, octroi etc. This burdens the common man. This also must stop. VAT or sales tax cannot be a substitute for income tax. This practice of taking from the poor, and giving to the rich must stop.

All states collect tax. Else, they have no right to be a state. It is as simple as that.

2. Natural resources, exploitation, and nationalization thereof.

Pakistan is a country of overwhelming natural wealth.

Gold deposits in Baluchistan are worth billions of dollars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reko_Diq

Reko diq has over 20 million ounces of gold at the minimum.

Imagine if all that gold could be extracted and put into Pakistan's national treasury. Pakistan would be one of the richest countries in the world.

Coal is also found in abundance. Thar coal has one of the largest coal reserves in the world.

Natural sources of Baluchistan, Sindh and Pothowar have not been explored properly.

Pakistan's natural resources should ideally be nationalized. The Pakistan government must have full control over its natural resources, and these in turn must be distributed to the national treasury, to in turn be used on the citizens of Pakistan.

If international companies or local private companies are employed to extract and resell these resources, then the terms of business must be on a scale that is overwhelming in favour of Pakistan's government and treasury.

International companies tend to buy cheap and sell high. Africa is replete with examples of exploitation of local populations for cheap minerals. Gold mining, diamond mining, are all industries where international companies have preyed on local natural resources, without local people getting their fair share. Africa's people have remained poor, despite great natural resources.

This must not happen to Pakistan.

Neither must corrupt governments like Zardari's be allowed to steal Pakistan's gold and natural resources. Perhaps, one of the prerequisites to mineral exploitation is an honest government. Perhaps that is one of the impediments in the achievement of this ideal.

If properly developed, Pakistan's gold deposits could place it in a league of nations to surpass the wealth of Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc.

But these must be used for Pakistan's betterment, not stolen and sent abroad by corrupt governments and intl. corporations.

3. Pakistan's human resources

The human resources of Pakistan are grossly underdeveloped, with one of the lowest literacy rates in the world.

We need to improve Pakistan's literacy and education on a war footing. From this we must learn from such countries as South Korea, Malaysia, and Sri Lanka.

Unfortunately, education of the masses is deliberately prevented by the feudalist-dominated government of Pakistan.

Feudals view public education as a threat to their power, because educated, enlightened and empowered people demand rights. And these rights are a threat to the entrenched power structure of the feudal elite.

The feudals must be told in no uncertain terms by the people that this state of affairs is unacceptable. Education is a right for every Pakistani.

What is reason countries like Holland, Denmark etc are far ahead than Pakistan ?

1. Law and order
2. Education
3. 90% honset politicans.
4. Right ppl on right jobs.

Pakistan got every thing which is need. Look how well many Pakistanies do outside Pakistan. I can tell in Norway Pakistanies have done very well in all sectors. PM advisor is a Pakistani girl. +++

Half of our economic problems will be solved if we can maintain peace and security.

PM advisor is a Pakistani girl.
So what's this got to do with solving Pakistan's economic problems?? :what:

Apart from what has been brought out in the opening post..

* Strengthening democratic institutions for better governance.
* Accountability.
* Reducing defence spending on big ticket items, that's bleeding the economy dry.
* Opening up of the economy and more trade with India.
* Social stability and law and order.
* Developing the country's infrastructure, and bringing in foreign direct investment.
* Increasing productivity.
* Exploiting renewable energy sources to achieve self reliance.

In addition, moving ahead on KE (Knowledge Economy) which is one that has the policies, institutions, and capabilities in place to make effective use of knowledge to further economic and social development. Developing countries like Pakistan must exploit the opportunities presented by the global knowledge revolution to reduce poverty and promote economic and social development.

By building on your strengths and by planning appropriate investments in human capital, effective institutions, relevant technologies, and innovative and competitive enterprises, you too can capitalize on the knowledge era and make the transition to KE.

There is no co-relation with democracy and good governance. Especially when the world largest democracy is inevitably corrupt, and anti-corruption activist are called threat to democracy.

So what's this got to do with solving Pakistan's economic problems?? :what:

Apart from what has been brought out in the opening post..

* Strengthening democratic institutions for better governance.
* Accountability.
* Reducing defence spending on big ticket items, that's bleeding the economy dry.
* Opening up of the economy and more trade with India.
* Social stability and law and order.
* Developing the country's infrastructure, and bringing in foreign direct investment.
* Increasing productivity.
* Exploiting renewable energy sources to achieve self reliance.

In addition, moving ahead on KE (Knowledge Economy) which is one that has the policies, institutions, and capabilities in place to make effective use of knowledge to further economic and social development. Developing countries like Pakistan must exploit the opportunities presented by the global knowledge revolution to reduce poverty and promote economic and social development.

By building on your strengths and by planning appropriate investments in human capital, effective institutions, relevant technologies, and innovative and competitive enterprises, you too can capitalize on the knowledge era and make the transition to KE.

I think every able bodied person in Pakistan should pick up a shovel and go dig up the billions of dollars of gold that is supposedly just waiting for them, sort of like a Gold Rush from the old West.

Problems solved! :D

I think every able bodied person in Pakistan should pick up a shovel and go dig up the billions of dollars of gold that is supposedly just waiting for them, sort of like a Gold Rush from the old West.

Bro i tried it but when i turned my back someone stole my shovel! Next time il handcuff my spade to my wrist.....

Bro i tried it but when i turned my back someone stole my shovel! Next time il handcuff my spade to my wrist.....

LOL!

But I am impressed that you actually TRIED to do something, rather than just mouthing off like the countless others on PDF. ;)

I think you should start by shovelling the Pakistani flag out of your name.
The only thing you can provide is sarcasm and skepticism to whatever is Pakistan related, you seem to quite enjoy your comments which make us Pakistanis look like common fools who know nothing better.

Kindly educate us, show us the way, show what you learned in the U.S. and for once, try and do something for your country, if you are a Pakistani, that is.

Half-baked sarcasm is unnecessary. Atleast the starter of this thread comes up with ideas to help Pakistan's economy.

........... your comments which make us Pakistanis look like common fools who know nothing better.

No, my comments do not do that; it is ALL your own doing. :D

The starter of the thread has started off with unsubstantiated claims of mineral wealth and lots of "woulda coulda shoulda" ideas that are worthless and totally ineffective.

Whenever I try to teach something, it becomes readily apparent that the students are either unwilling, or unable, to learn. And that goes for not just this thread, but a lot of senior members on PDF, including some Admins/Mods and even the Think Tank.

What do you think I should do next, please tell me.

No, my comments do not do that; it is ALL your own doing. :D

The starter of the thread has started off with unsubstantiated claims of mineral wealth and lots of "woulda coulda shoulda" ideas that are worthless and totally ineffective.

Whenever I try to teach something, it becomes readily apparent that the students are either unwilling, or unable, to learn. And that goes for not just this thread, but a lot of senior members on PDF, including some Admins/Mods and even the Think Tank.

What do you think I should do next, please tell me.

I think you should stop being a smart-*** because that doesn't work with me.
Whenever you "try" to "teach", you usually sound as if you're lecturing Pakistanis because you think they're backwards or mentally not capable enough of comprehending your useless so-called helpful "teaching".

The starter of this thread has pointed out some solid facts about our country, and ofcourse, "would've, could've" etc. comes into play because Pakistan still has alot to utilize and is a developing country, right?

If these ideas are worthless according to you, then why don't you come up with something better? If you're so smart and educated, why haven't you been able to pack a punch?

It's obvious that you're either American or have a different nationality, whatever it is, it's not Pakistani.
Most of your Pakistan-related posts are maligned and contain the usual "Listen to Uncle Sam and do as it says, otherwise it's bad luck for Pakistan"

IF you are Pakistani, i'm glad you're just one of the few with such an American influenced mindset, otherwise we would've been the 52nd state of America.

Conclusion, come up with something constructive, and if you don't have any connections to your roots, kindly change your flag aswell and don't embarass us any further.

I think you should stop being a smart-*** because that doesn't work with me.
Whenever you "try" to "teach", you usually sound as if you're lecturing Pakistanis because you think they're backwards or mentally not capable enough of comprehending your useless so-called helpful "teaching".

The starter of this thread has pointed out some solid facts about our country, and ofcourse, "would've, could've" etc. comes into play because Pakistan still has alot to utilize and is a developing country, right?

If these ideas are worthless according to you, then why don't you come up with something better? If you're so smart and educated, why haven't you been able to pack a punch?

It's obvious that you're either American or have a different nationality, whatever it is, it's not Pakistani.
Most of your Pakistan-related posts are maligned and contain the usual "Listen to Uncle Sam and do as it says, otherwise it's bad luck for Pakistan"

IF you are Pakistani, i'm glad you're just one of the few with such an American influenced mindset, otherwise we would've been the 52nd state of America.

Conclusion, come up with something constructive, and if you don't have any connections to your roots, kindly change your flag aswell and don't embarass us any further.

My, my, hit a nerve, did I? :D

Several of the "solid" facts are unproven and unsubstantiated. The remaining claims and solutions are totally impractical.

My posts, for both Pakistan, and USA, are sometimes bitter, but always correct.

Conclusion: Rather than attacking my person, please respond to the content of my posts.

My, my, hit a nerve, did I? :D

Several of the "solid" facts are unproven and unsubstantiated. The remaining claims and solutions are totally impractical.

My posts, for both Pakistan, and USA, are sometimes bitter, but always correct.

Conclusion: Rather than attacking my person, please respond to the content of my posts.

Your claims are baseless, you think everything you say about and for the U.S. and Pakistan is correct? Shows what reality you're living in. :lol:

Right...your post in this thread was full of helpful information, wasn't it? Talking about impractical. :disagree:

I have responded to the content of your post, and all you could come up with is "My, my, hit a nerve did I?"

I have asked of you to come up with something constructive, and you simply cannot.. So what input or value does your presence in this topic have? Other then diminishing anything or anyone who tries to come up with solutions for the betterment of Pakistan?

Your claims are baseless, you think everything you say about and for the U.S. and Pakistan is correct? Shows what reality you're living in. :lol:

Right...your post in this thread was full of helpful information, wasn't it? Talking about impractical. :disagree:

I have responded to the content of your post, and all you could come up with is "My, my, hit a nerve did I?"

I have asked of you to come up with something constructive, and you simply cannot.. So what input or value does your presence in this topic have? Other then diminishing anything or anyone who tries to come up with solutions for the betterment of Pakistan?

So I did hit a nerve - a sore one too! :D

The reason I take on such outlandish claims of hidden wealth are manifold: It creates false hopes, a sense of frustration, and ultimately disappointment.

None of these reasons are due to any opposition to Pakistan on my part.

Thar coal gasification will NOT provide 50,000 MW of electricity for 500 years.

There is no billions of dollars of gold in Baluchistan. Even if there is, it will not magically refine itself.

My comment about picking up a shovel that has you so riled up is a metaphor for performing actual physical work to utilize the actual resources that Pakistan does have, just like every other country on Earth.

All of the above statements are correct, like it or not.

If you like, I can honestly dissect the proposed "solutions" for the pointlessness they exemplify, just to add value to this thread. :D

Back
Top Bottom