What's new

Snow Leopards Found in Pakistan

Pakistani snow leopard Leo thriving in US home

WASHINGTON: A snow leopard found by a shepherd in the mountains of northern Pakistan is thriving in his temporary home in the Bronx Zoo New York. The rare cub - Leo - was transferred to the United States as part of wildlife conservation partnership.

A senior US official described Leo as "one of the most charismatic diplomats ever. "Leo is thriving there and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) continues to work in Pakistan to develop the skills and the infrastructure needed to protect endangered species like the snow leopard in the wild," Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs Dr Paula J Dobriansky said.

Citing the example of combined US, Pakistani and Non Government Organizations’ efforts in conservation of "one of the world's most endangered mammals”, she told a panel discussion that “finding common cause on conservation can play an important role in strengthening our broader diplomatic relationships." Leo's tale captured the personal attention of senior Pakistani and American officials when a couple of years ago a shepherd in the mountains of northern Pakistan found Leo as an orphaned cub and, after caring for him in his home, turned Leo over to the Pakistani government. The cub was temporarily transferred to the famous Bronx Zoo in 2006 which had necessary environment for his growth.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

specail thanks to WM for postin this rare footage of Snowleapord, i have never seen such a stunnin cat in my whole life not even on TV this is my first view ever, n i m stunned by the beauty of the cat it is way to beautiful than the Siberain tiger. It is very hard to find this cat just by lookin at the mountains its resembles the mountains perfectly so even if anyone is lookin at the mountain very close observation is needed to actually know that a precious snow leopard is sittin beside a rock or else it may look like a rock, which in the first video the commentator speaks of.

Thank u Neo, for postin the news, i m 200% sure this will attract many tourists n wildlife experts to the mountains in Pakistan, n improve the image of our Beloved homeland in the eyes of many, n also will be a way to bring this endangered cat back to its normal level.

I think GoP shuld declare this area a wildlife reserve, it is a rare animal found only in Pakistan, n needs to be heavily protected by any means.:pakistan:

This cat is so awesome, it fascinated me all the time after i saw the 2 videos which WM posted, so tried very hard to find any more detailed documentary abut the awesome cat found only in Pakistan in its natural home, i think this awesome cat shuld be the national animal of Pakistan, i found this documentary from BBC Planet Earth program on youtube so have posted it here, to be shared by my fellow Countrymen n anyone who wants to have a glimpse in this rare cat's life, so folks sit bak n enjoy.

jKm7Dmpt6Us[/media] - (1/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

1VT7p3X0Jy8[/media] - (2/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

bmVYbO9zjFo[/media] - (3/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

3bA-tR03wCo[/media] - (4/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

qGO-hKb_E9Y[/media] - (5/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

kQMlUXctNKI[/media] - (6/6) Snow Leopard of Pakistan - Beyond the Myth

The good news is they have already started to tag the cats, as can be seen in the videos, thats very good, they will be able to keep track of these special cats.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD:pakistan:

Last edited by a moderator:
not only snow lepords but also ibex, markhor and some other rare animals are in Pakistan

I think the snow leopard rather than the markhor should be our national animal. So elegant yet fierce and fast. Markhors just look bored and lazy.

I think the snow leopard rather than the markhor should be our national animal. So elegant yet fierce and fast. Markhors just look bored and lazy.

national animal is one which is found is all of pakistan, atleast karkhors are found is north and south by which i mean GB and balochistan

Picture015.jpg

Some friends were in Muree and surrounding areas last week, one of the hotels keeps Snow Leopard as a pet.

[:::~Spartacus~:::];3143894 said:
national animal is one which is found is all of pakistan, atleast karkhors are found is north and south by which i mean GB and balochistan

GB is Pakistan as well. Who cares if they arent found in south Pakistan. The Bengal Tiger, India's national animal is only found in Bengal and other neighbouring provinces of eastern India. They dont exist in like 80-90% of the rest of the country. Would like to see such a beautiful yet strong creature be our national animal.

Another reason why there needs to be strict anti-gun laws in Pakistan.

Picture015.jpg

Some friends were in Muree and surrounding areas last week, one of the hotels keeps Snow Leopard as a pet.

yes i think this one was kept by nawaz shareef,but then he came under criticism for arranging air conditioning for the leopard and gave it up...
It looks miserable and lonely in some other pics i saw.....

And what's the reason why Tiger is becoming almost instinct in India. !!!

PLease keep yourself updated , India is one of the few countries in the world where Tiger population is actually increasing .

India is already home to almost half of World's tiger population .

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom