What's new

'Small negative list can take India-Pakistan trade to $6 bn'

Soumya_india

Reaction score
KOLKATA: A "small" negative list of trade items between India and Pakistan, likely to be effective in February 2012, can increase their bilateral trade to around $6 billion in a few years, according to a Pakistani industry chamber.

The volume of bilateral trade between the two countries stood at nearly $1.8 billion last year.

"Imports to Pakistan from India was $1,500 million and exports were around $273 million, thereby taking the volume of total trade to $1.8 billion last year. Once the short negative list comes into effect next year, it can take the bilateral trade to $6 billion in a few years," Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry chairman Shiekh Nasiruddin told reporters here Thursday.

Nasiruddin was in the city for the launch of " International Mega Trade Fair".

India can now export only 1,946 items to Pakistan from the 8,000 tradable goods between the two countries.

A negative list includes items which cannot be traded legally.

"While the legal trade is close to $1.8 billion, the volume of illegal trade is around $4 billion," Nasiruddin said.

Once the negative list came into effect, it would also reduce the illegal border trade between the two countries, he added.

Pakistan Commerce Minister Makhdoom Muhammad Amin Fahim had visited India in September this year, when it was decided that in the first stage, Pakistan would move from the current 'positive list' approach to a 'negative list'.

Thereafter, all items other than those on the negative list will be freely exportable from India to Pakistan.

The process of Pakistan granting MFN ( Most Favoured Nation) status to India is likely to be completed by end of next year.

'Small negative list can take India-Pakistan trade to $6 billion' - The Economic Times

The better our economic relations the better will be our diplomatic relations. It's stupid to pursue any other path.

KOLKATA: A "small" negative list of trade items between India and Pakistan, likely to be effective in February 2012, can increase their bilateral trade to around $6 billion in a few years, according to a Pakistani industry chamber.

The volume of bilateral trade between the two countries stood at nearly $1.8 billion last year.

"Imports to Pakistan from India was $1,500 million and exports were around $273 million, thereby taking the volume of total trade to $1.8 billion last year. Once the short negative list comes into effect next year, it can take the bilateral trade to $6 billion in a few years," Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry chairman Shiekh Nasiruddin told reporters here Thursday.

India can now export only 1,946 items to Pakistan from the 8,000 tradable goods between the two countries.

"While the legal trade is close to $1.8 billion, the volume of illegal trade is around $4 billion," Nasiruddin said.

Once the negative list came into effect, it would also reduce the illegal border trade between the two countries, he added.

Pakistan Commerce Minister Makhdoom Muhammad Amin Fahim had visited India in September this year, when it was decided that in the first stage, Pakistan would move from the current 'positive list' approach to a 'negative list'.

Thereafter, all items other than those on the negative list will be freely exportable from India to Pakistan.

The process of Pakistan granting MFN ( Most Favoured Nation) status to India is likely to be completed by end of next year.

'Small negative list can take India-Pakistan trade to $6 billion' - The Economic Times

The bold text highlights why I am against trade with India. Every time we trade with India, we get a trade Deficit which means wealth going out of our country to theirs. The only trade I would favour is Barter, where they buy as many of our products as we buy theirs. If they dont agree to that , stop trading with them.

Our trade with terrorist state of Bharat should be $0.00. It's obvious why they want to trade with us. Export their crap to us but import nothing, as figures suggest.

The bold text highlights why I am against trade with India. Every time we trade with India, we get a trade Deficit which means wealth going out of our country to theirs. The only trade I would favour is Barter, where they buy as many of our products as we buy theirs. If they dont agree to that , stop trading with them.

Make good products and that will help your cause instead of shunning trade altogether. India has no policy that is Pakistan specific or hinders Pak from trading. It is a level playing field and Pakistan should compete and sell more.

Why Indian government allows Pakistan to dump their goods in India, even Pakistanis want trading on equal equal status.

Our trade with terrorist state of Bharat should be $0.00. It's obvious why they want to trade with us. Export their crap to us but import nothing, as figures suggest.
You have got many goods which u can sell,just find the list of it and the problem will be solved.
The same problem we r facing with your soul mate china,and our trade deficit is very large compared 2 what u have.
But v r still thinking and not saying that v should shutdown trade with china..

why do people in ur country buy imported crap anyway?? Is it that even that's not available in Pakistan ;)

I think Pakistan has trade deficit with most of the major economies, India is no different.

India - China trade crossed 60 Billion some time back and the trade balance is heavily tilted in China's favor... that does not mean that China should be blamed... It is India that should be blamed!

Trade is something that builds bridges and creates interdependency.
The world is a cruel place no doubt and eventually all relationships survive more due to dependency rather than any other emotion.

I hope the economic aspects are studied in Pakistan so that we have a sustained trade rather than hiccups later on.
Other than this, i see it as a good move.
There are some very good products in Pakistan as well and due to western aversion for Pakistan, it is best to explore the market in our east as well.

Trade is something that builds bridges and creates interdependency.
The world is a cruel place no doubt and eventually all relationships survive more due to dependency rather than any other emotion.

I hope the economic aspects are studied in Pakistan so that we have a sustained trade rather than hiccups later on.
Other than this, i see it as a good move.
There are some very good products in Pakistan as well and due to western aversion for Pakistan, it is best to explore the market in our east as well.

Right on spot THINK TANK....:tup:

Ridiculous, by that logic Pakistan should stop trading with all the countries where u have trade deficit

Back
Top Bottom