What's new

Slave of the twenty-first century

abdulbarijan

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
A brief Background.
"For the powerful, crimes are those that others commit." These thoughtful words by Professor Noam Chomsky, while written in a political/strategic context, however hold true even in a social context.Let us take the example of an offense such as cat calling or Eve teasing, the usual excuse goes like this " She was dressed provocatively, hence deserved it". The instigator in such a case, rationalizes such behavior by putting all the blame on the victim. For that individual, the problem is not that he/she went on and harassed another individual, but that, the harassed individual wasn't wearing the right clothes.

Going back a century or so, when slavery was still alive and well in what we call the "modern world", we can see examples of extreme brutality when it comes to the treatment of slaves and subsequent justifications of such actions. Slaves were subjected to whipping, shackling, hanging, mutilation and branding etc. While such behavior is (thankfully) seen as a crime today, just a century ago, it was a legitimate and justifiable practice by the people in power.

One particular, rather disgusting aspect of this crime against humanity was the trivialization of human suffering, where lynching postcards were sold in stores, carrying pictures of lynched black people on one end and a space for family exchanges at the back. For example.
lynchingpostcard03.jpg

[Handwriting reads: This is where they lynched a negro the other day. They don’t know who done it. I guess they don’t care much. I don’t, do you?]

An excerpt from the book "Photography on the Color line" author Shawn Michelle Smith talks about how lynching of slaves was justified;
“[white womanhood]… is that phantom that is resurrected over and over again as a symbol of white racial purity defining the limits of the white lynch mob. …the figure of a threatened or raped white woman, evoked as the innocent victim of a ‘terrible crime,’ was conjured in attempts to justify lynching as the ‘understandable’ retribution of white fathers, brothers, and lovers. Ida B. Wells herself claimed to have believed this ideology at one time, before her extensive research revealed the cry of rape to be largely myth (pp.129-30)."
In the book "White slave crusades: Race, gender and anti-vice activism, 1887-1917" author Brian Donovan states;
"Some lynching were attended by hundreds, sometimes thousands, of white spectators. These spectacle lynchings became a form of entertainment and ritual .... "
While pictorial evidence of such occurrences is too graphic to post here, however, here is a cropped picture of certain white spectators, smiling from ear to ear while attending a lynching.
lynch_mob_large.jpg

A society with a broken moral compass : Patterns.
The society of the the America where slavery was legal, normal and justified, represents a society that had a broken moral compass. A moral compass, in it's most basic form is the scale an individual uses to judge between right and wrong.Based on the given material, we can draw out some distinct patterns that are present in societies in such states and absolutely need a thorough introspection.
  • Victim blaming: occurs when the victim of a crime or any wrongful act is held entirely or partially responsible for the harm that befell them
  • Dehumanizing practices against people of the less powerful "other group" with no social/legal consequence e.g. lynching, bondage, and mutilation etc.
  • Trivialization and celebration of acts of violence against the "other" e.g. in the case of slavery days, using postcards with slaves being lynched.
  • Acts of violence against a particular group, being a source of entertainment.
While we're at it, let's not forget ourselves and our society. A simple introspection of our own Pakistani society will lead us to see that such patterns exist in our society in different shapes, forms and scales. I'll leave you to think of the examples as I don't intend to elongate this article, to where it becomes hectic to read.

The 21st Century Slave.
While such patterns affect many groups living in the society. However, in this section, let' us ask the question; "What is a certain, sizeable group in our population for which all the four patterns exist in practice and are socially acceptable?"

I can only think of one group that satisfies all four of the identified patterns for which all the identified behaviors are socially acceptable as well i.e. MEN. To illustrate what I mean, I'll be using ACTUAL QUOTATIONS from this very forum (a forum with very respectable and educated people, which I won't name) on different threads along with some twitter posts and a video. So based on the opinions of our educated members, we have;

1.Victim Blaming
On a thread about a man being sexually harassed, following were some of the comments;
"Channdaa Aurr lagao Tari road k chakkar :P"
"The JOKES and Laughs here because it is YOU yes you men yourself who enjoy getting your diks grabbed by womeQuoten or a woman."
On a thread about a woman who threw acid on her husband for a second marriage.
"Way to go. Women empowerment.If men can do so, so can women should be allowed."
On a thread about a woman chopping off her husbands legs
Yup... women empowerement, in this case physically. whereever case maybe men, will understand brutality which they perpetuated on women till now.

2.Dehumanizing practices against people of the less powerful "other group" with no social/legal consequence
While thankfully, there are legal consequences and ramifications for such behavior, however the social acceptance is an entirely different thing.
On a thread about a woman who threw acid on her husband for a second marriage.
"Way to go. Women empowerment.If men can do so, so can women should be allowed."
On a thread about a woman who hired gunmen to teach her alleged "cheating husband" a lesson.
I support Lubna. Every woman who gets cheated on should do this.
Good Work

3.Trivialization and celebration of acts of violence against the "other"
Why every one surprise?look around you compare to other barbaric incidents this is nothing not even value to post.
On a thread about a group of woman sexually harassing a man
i doubt this really happened, but if it did, lucky sob! :lol:
Really?:haha:Lucky victim :sarcastic:
Lol, unless he was raped by rods in the butt---his story is nothing special
Hey, it's not like this guy got gangbanged by those group of girls with a big d!ldo.
He's complaining because he's still a virgin or a Gayyyyyyy probably.

4. Acts of violence against a particular group, being a source of entertainment.

On a thread about a group of woman sexually harassing a man
just lolzz.
i need a map of tariq rd so i can go for a walk and if i am lucky i be too writing blog very soon.
Made up shiat :dance3:
A video showing different types of violence men face which are laughed at in general and in popular culture. Includes the story of a woman cutting off her husband's penis as the hosts make jokes and the entire audience laughs.
A response to a story of a woman, forcing a man to have sex on gun point. Response of various women on twitter.
lyhHISJ.jpg

Summary/ Result: While men are considered to be the individuals that hold and control all the power in a society, we tend to forget that, that is a very select group of people. If there is an extreme where men hold all the power, there also exists another extreme, where men hold no power what so ever. In fact the condition is such, where direct parallels can be drawn compared to the type of behavior patterns black slaves faced in the Americas. Therefore, a serious, through introspection is the need of the hour.

Last edited:
in my opinion the issue is with few of the following views that this world holds when in it comes to a man.
1) a man is a sexually frustrated being who think about sex every 7 sec.so every advances that he make toward opposite gender should always have sexual motive behind it.and if some woman forced herself on him he should be feeling luck because the fantasies of this sexually frustrated being are finally coming true.
2)males are aggressive and more powerful gender by birth.they will always have their way with females when ever they want.so females are always in the need of protection from this wild and aggressive gender.
3)as a man belong to the stronger gender and women to a weaker one.he should be able to take whatever a female dish out to him without getting hurt .but he shouldn't return the favor because women being the weaker beings can't take it.
4)males are always strong enough to protect them self and shouldn't need any emotional support whatsoever. a sensitive,caring or a crying man is always looked down as a wuss and a disgrace to his gender.

this thought process gives birth to the white knights who always assumes that a man is always guilty even if proven otherwise and women are innocent somehow even if proven guilty.

Dude you are discussing first world elite problems in Pakistan where women are still being denied basic rights like education and right to choose their partner please grow up

Dude you are discussing first world elite problems in Pakistan where women are still being denied basic rights like education and right to choose their partner please grow up
in my opinion the first world did the mistake by not addressing this mind set during the feminism wave of 80s and 90s we can learn form it.
he is just supporting what he believes in. nowhere in his article he is undermining the female rights or saying that he support all the above atrocities that you have stated .he is just raising the voice for men and issues they face there nothing wrong with that.

-Nope, It isn't exactly the discussion of first world problems when with the exception of two stories, every other happens to be one on the suffering of a Pakistani dude.

-Secondly, while talking about basic rights of a person, let's not forget that this thread more or less proves that that treatment of men today, has direct parallels (atleast in terms of social acceptability) to the slaves of 19th century.

-Let's talk about education, when we go about using statistics of how more men are in schools, colleges and universities and how big of a problem it is, everybody universally agrees. Yet, when in the west, when that dichotomy has virtually flipped where there are more women in schools, colleges and universities because of different programs etc. How many times do we call it a problem ? Basically, it's only a problem until women are getting the short end of the stick. As soon at it's men ... it's not a problem anymore.

-As far as growing up goes ... "because women are denied basic rights" .... did I pick on women? In fact if you looked at the thread, the very first example was one of the problems faced alot by women. I'm not advocating that we go out and only focus on men. What I am advocating is while we're trying to make progress in terms of women empowerment, let's not forget the other 50% of the entire population that has it's own struggles, and is laughed at while at the end of a horrific crime, while if the same were done to a woman ... everybody would be calling for the perpetrator's head.

-Nope, It isn't exactly the discussion of first world problems when with the exception of two stories, every other happens to be one on the suffering of a Pakistani dude.

-Secondly, while talking about basic rights of a person, let's not forget that this thread more or less proves that that treatment of men today, has direct parallels (atleast in terms of social acceptability) to the slaves of 19th century.

-Let's talk about education, when we go about using statistics of how more men are in schools, colleges and universities and how big of a problem it is, everybody universally agrees. Yet, when in the west, when that dichotomy has virtually flipped where there are more women in schools, colleges and universities because of different programs etc. How many times do we call it a problem ? Basically, it's only a problem until women are getting the short end of the stick. As soon at it's men ... it's not a problem anymore.

-As far as growing up goes ... "because women are denied basic rights" .... did I pick on women? In fact if you looked at the thread, the very first example was one of the problems faced alot by women. I'm not advocating that we go out and only focus on men. What I am advocating is while we're trying to make progress in terms of women empowerment, let's not forget the other 50% of the entire population that has it's own struggles, and is laughed at while at the end of a horrific crime, while if the same were done to a woman ... everybody would be calling for the perpetrator's head.
Which is more likely to happen male honour killing or female honour killing?Who is more likely to be forced into marriage man or woman?
Some problems are very specific to a single gender they occur with the other gender once in a blue moon but pointing to few incidents to prove a point that we need MRA in Pakistan where increased divorces are being dubbed yahodi media sazish by molvi types is only muddying the water and frankly results in decreased pressure on authorities to frame stricker laws on rapes and forced marriages

Which is more likely to happen male honour killing or female honour killing?Who is more likely to be forced into marriage man or woman?
Some problems are very specific to a single gender they occur with the other gender once in a blue moon but pointing to few incidents to prove a point that we need MRA in Pakistan where increased divorces are being dubbed yahodi media sazish by molvi types is only muddying the water and frankly results in decreased pressure on authorities to frame stricker laws on rapes and forced marriages

-Did you read the thread? If you didn't, do read the result which alludes to the fact that the social acceptability of criminal behavior against men is practically that of 19th century slavery. Heck, people come up with reasoning as to why that is totally fine. Just read up your own response, which practically normalizes the fact that when men are at the receiving end of criminal behavior, it's totally fine because "women are perpetual victims" ...

-Secondly, what is an "honor killing"?. In it's basic form, it's a homicide. Men, globally BY FAR are MORE LIKELY to be victims of homicide. (Half a million people died globally in 2012 as a result of homicides, where 79% of the victims were men according to a UNODC report)
Yet, people like yourself will maintain that men don't have any problems whatsoever, or the only problems men have are "first world problems" or occur "once in a blue moon". Heck, you'll chop that problem in to bits and pieces just to come up with statistics that support your narrative.

-Lastly, I posted a thread about a guy who was sexually assaulted. He was groped by some females in the form of a group. The overwhelming response of people was laughing at the victim, calling him lucky etc etc. So, here is the reason why you think men's problems only occur "once in a blue moon". It's because ... people in general don't even perceive men's problems as problems to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom