Country
Pakistan
Sky is the limit for Laila Ali
By Mehek Saeed
Published: August 4, 2015
118SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
932184-image-1438701182-586-640x480.JPG

Laila’s tan skin makes her stand out amongst porcelain-complexioned contemporaries. PHOTOS: PUBLICITY

LAHORE:
Lifestyle brands from across the world are gradually making a shift from celebrity endorsements to new, fresh faces. While the marketing power of a popular brand ambassador is undeniable, many fashion houses seem to have realised that the endorser’s star power can take away from the brand itself.

Consequently, the Autumn-Winter 2015 campaigns by Gucci, Prada and Celine all feature models that are relatively under-the-radar, instead of the Hollywood A-listers who usually grace their pages. Here in Pakistan, many design houses are falling suit, cultivating fresh new talent as they go and one individual who is soaring high on the winds of change is model Laila Ali.

56.jpg

In just a little over a year, she has already worked with renowned brands like Toni’n’Guy, Sapphire, Tena Durrani and Mausummery Lawn. “I had been modeling for friends earlier but never considered it as a serious career until a shoot with Bareeze about a year ago,” shared Laila in an interview with The Express Tribune. Ever since then, Laila’s career trajectory has shown no signs of slowing down. “Work started pouring in quite fast after that and I am enjoying myself a lot,” she added.

34.jpg

Although most of Laila’s assignments have been limited to print campaigns, she has also walked the ramps a number of times over the past year and is keen on expanding her horizons in the fashion industry. “During shoots, the dynamic is very different as it is just the makeup artist and photographer that you are working with,” shared Laila. “But for ramp shows and fashion weeks, there is a lot more going on. It is entertaining and overwhelming at the same time.” As a model, she is very hands on and likes to be involved in the shooting process as much as she can. “There is so much to learn and I am having a lot of fun discovering new things as they come along. I have learned loads from photographers Ayaz Anis and Muzi Sufi. They are both amazing to work with.”

26.jpg

Laila’s impressive roster of shoots include both Eastern and Western. She is one of the few models who can sport a kurti as beautifully as a long skirt and her tan skin makes her stand out amongst her porcelain-complexioned contemporaries. “I am very comfortable about who and what I am and encourage everyone to be that way,” said Laila. She has always had a knack for fashion and believes there is nothing that it cannot fix. “I have always been into it and would love to run a fashion house sometime in the future. But for now, I am focusing on modeling only.”

In Pakistan, where Karachi and Lahore are the hubs of all things fashion and culture, Laila has managed to overcome geographical limitations and launch a steady career from her hometown Islamabad. “Not every brand is willing or able to have their models fly in and out and provide them with accommodation,” explained Laila. “Most of them work on very tight budgets. Therefore, I consider myself very lucky to have received this much work despite being in Islamabad.”

@Horus @rockstar08 @WAJsal @Junaid B @Pomegranate @Color_Less_Sky @Zarvan @xyxmt @SipahSalar @Bratva @Stealth @Rashid Mahmood
@syedali73 @Leader @DESERT FIGHTER @Jazzbot @Spring Onion, @chauvunist,
@Pakistan Shaheen @karakoram, @syedali73 @rockstar08 @haviZsultan @Gufi @Muhammad Omar @graphican @Gazi @Donatello @Hyperion @Pak_Sher @Sage

@Shamain @Azad-Kashmiri @friendly_troll96

NEED TO KNOW: MODEL LAILA ALI KHAN
A chance photo shoot led to the discovery of the nation's next top model
11130089_960872210611431_4306151212885837422_n.jpg

Getting into the modeling business was a bit of a fluke for Laila Ali Khan. In 2014, the 23-year-old Islamabad native was asked by a friend to shoot a campaign for Bareeze. The results were fantastic and Khan continued to be the face of the brand for the next three campaigns. This was the launch of what now seems like one of the most exciting new faces in the Pakistani modeling industry.

Khan with her doll-like features and signature mischievous eyes has already been on the cover of a number of high-profile magazines and has modeled for brands such as Elan and Al-Karam. Here this leggy-beauty talks to Women’s Own about getting discovered, her personal style and everything she finds ridiculous about Pakistan’s Fashion industry.
How did you get into the modelling business?

It was random. Someone from Bareeze got in touch with a friend of mine and told him they were looking for a model. They were revamping Bareeze at the time and wanted a new face. He recommended me and one thing led to another. The team got in touch with me asking for my pictures and I was shocked to be called in for a nationwide campaign, considering I had absolutely no prior experience in the field. I did Bareeze for the next three seasons.
Was modelling the dream?

I never longed to be a model; it’s something that just happened. What I do know now is that I love what I do. It’s hard work and the unpredictability involved is challenging but that’s what makes it interesting. The work hours can pretty much take up my entire day, even spill over into the wee hours of the night, and this pattern can continue for days.

It was when I would come back home after days of shooting, absolutely exhaustedand still wanting to continue doing what I did, is when I realized how much I liked what I do. That saidI knew I wanted to do something in fashion so it seems to have worked out quite well in the end. I would definitely like to do more, design perhaps, but only after I’ve travelled extensively. That would be fun. There is so much left to experience and discover in life that it’s difficult identifying any one dream.
What do you think of the current Pakistani fashion scene?

I think it’s hierarchical. There are a handful of brilliant people who create beautifully. These giants cast their shadows onto the rest and instead of stepping out of it the followers end up improvising from their work, resulting in amajor loss of individuality. Although from time to time, there will be some new photographer or a designer that I would get absolutely smitten by, but by and large I feel there is a ridiculous lack of originality. I believe magical things can happen if we stay focused, and do not pay too much attention to our peripheral surroundings.
Fitness routine?

Running and a bit of cardio. I try not to over indulge every time, but I do enjoy my meals. I would really like to get back to yoga.
Style philosophy?

I’m all for the street-style look: a plain tee with a sass and bide skirt, and Nicholas Kirkwood shoes would do it for me. Less is definitely more, and I appreciate jewellery occasionally. I definitely don’t mind rocking a statement piece from time to time though.
Current obsessions?

Fargo, Vinyl, Mr. Robot’s Rami Malek and my 15-month-old nephew.
http://womensownpk.com/need-to-know-laila/
@django @Ray_of_Hope @The Sandman @Shamain @Moonlight :D

Getting into the modeling business was a bit of a fluke for Laila Ali Khan. In 2014, the 23-year-old Islamabad native was asked by a friend to shoot a campaign for Bareeze. The results were fantastic and Khan continued to be the face of the brand for the next three campaigns. This was the launch of what now seems like one of the most exciting new faces in the Pakistani modeling industry.

Khan with her doll-like features and signature mischievous eyes has already been on the cover of a number of high-profile magazines and has modeled for brands such as Elan and Al-Karam. Here this leggy-beauty talks to Women’s Own about getting discovered, her personal style and everything she finds ridiculous about Pakistan’s Fashion industry.

It was random. Someone from Bareeze got in touch with a friend of mine and told him they were looking for a model. They were revamping Bareeze at the time and wanted a new face. He recommended me and one thing led to another. The team got in touch with me asking for my pictures and I was shocked to be called in for a nationwide campaign, considering I had absolutely no prior experience in the field. I did Bareeze for the next three seasons.
Was modelling the dream?

I never longed to be a model; it’s something that just happened. What I do know now is that I love what I do. It’s hard work and the unpredictability involved is challenging but that’s what makes it interesting. The work hours can pretty much take up my entire day, even spill over into the wee hours of the night, and this pattern can continue for days.

It was when I would come back home after days of shooting, absolutely exhaustedand still wanting to continue doing what I did, is when I realized how much I liked what I do. That saidI knew I wanted to do something in fashion so it seems to have worked out quite well in the end. I would definitely like to do more, design perhaps, but only after I’ve travelled extensively. That would be fun. There is so much left to experience and discover in life that it’s difficult identifying any one dream.

I think it’s hierarchical. There are a handful of brilliant people who create beautifully. These giants cast their shadows onto the rest and instead of stepping out of it the followers end up improvising from their work, resulting in amajor loss of individuality. Although from time to time, there will be some new photographer or a designer that I would get absolutely smitten by, but by and large I feel there is a ridiculous lack of originality. I believe magical things can happen if we stay focused, and do not pay too much attention to our peripheral surroundings.
Fitness routine?

Running and a bit of cardio. I try not to over indulge every time, but I do enjoy my meals. I would really like to get back to yoga.
Style philosophy?

I’m all for the street-style look: a plain tee with a sass and bide skirt, and Nicholas Kirkwood shoes would do it for me. Less is definitely more, and I appreciate jewellery occasionally. I definitely don’t mind rocking a statement piece from time to time though.
Current obsessions?

Fargo, Vinyl, Mr. Robot’s Rami Malek and my 15-month-old nephew as well ad Dj babu.
@django @Ray_of_Hope @The Sandman @Shamain @Moonlight :D

Was modelling the dream?

Fitness routine?

Style philosophy?

Current obsessions?

Fargo, Vinyl, Mr. Robot’s Rami Malek and my 15-month-old nephew as well as Dj babu.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/sky-is-the-limit-for-laila-ali.390289/#ixzz49tSQyV3d

Was modelling the dream?

Fitness routine?

Style philosophy?

Current obsessions?

Fargo, Vinyl, Mr. Robot’s Rami Malek and my 15-month-old nephew as well as Dj babu.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/sky-is-the-limit-for-laila-ali.390289/#ixzz49tSQyV3d
@Zibago @Shamain @Moonlight @The Sandman

Last edited:
Most definitely , one of the best looking models I have seen anywhere, no question about it.

Remeber I used to disagree with you and sheikh sahib on her. Well today I agree with you guys she is pretty. Maybe because she is looking exceptionally beautiful here.

Remeber I used to disagree with you and sheikh sahib on her. Well today I agree with you guys she is pretty. Maybe because she is looking exceptionally beautiful here.
So true, I am sure before too long she will be a top star in Pak, no question about it.kudos

Stop making me to call her bhabhi one day. IYKWIM. :D

Btw she is looking really nice here.
Yes she will be yours,the sandman,s @django ,s bhabi :D

She is like a sanwali guriya

Back
Top Bottom