What's new

Sindh to generate 2000 MW at its wind corridor in next two years

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Monday, January 21, 2013 - Karachi—Sindh government is working on 40 different power projects in its wind corridor, with a total generation capacity of 2000 MW in next two years, said Mir Hussain Ali, provincial Secretary for Environment and Alternate Energy Department.

This will also allow the electrification of about 120 schools in rural Sindh, he said addressing a session on the Renewable Energy organized by IUCN - Pakistan on Sunday.

Talking about the opportunities in the wind corridor, he said, that the government is working on about 40 projects with various investors with total generation capacity of 2000 MW in the next two years.

“This is despite the fact that Renewable Energy projects often do not get a green light in public sector because of the initial costs,” he said. The Sindh secretary for environment and alternative energy said the government is also supplying solar stoves and working on a biogas project worth Rs. 200 million rupees.

The secretary for environment and alternative energy mentioned that in Mirpurkhas, Solar Water Pumping Stations have been installed to meet the electricity crunch.

Mir Hussain Ali also talked about having immense potential of biogas at the Cattle Colony in Karachi and prospects in coastal areas of Pakistan in lieu of wind related projects.

On the occasion Carl Pope, a renowned expert on renewable energy in his presentation, “Renewable Energy Cheaper in the Long Run,” said that presently over 1.3 billion people in the world are estimated to be living without electricity.

One billion of these people, including 700 million residents of South Asia will remain without electricity until 2030 if the switch to alternatives does not happen, he warned.—Agencies

8332430275_d70ef75a92_o.jpg

2000 MW in two years ??

They couldn't do squat in five, what miracle is going to happen in the next two?

By the time they're completed in the next decade, our energy requirements will have increased by atleast 10,000 MW.

Or, perhaps, most industries will have left Pakistan or closed down so there will be enough for us all :P

Wind mills affect climate as it affect wind streams. Well, I think this will be last concern. I will rather support Solar energy.

Sindh has large areas of open land, with little or no population. That is where wind turbines should be placed.

Also, it is wind turbine, not wind mills.

Wind mills are used for mechanical work, like pumping water etc

The two thousand MW estimate seems to be an over reach. I will believe it when I see it. But if they can produce even half of it, it will be an accomplishment. The nuclear plants producing 300 MW have been costing the govt. billions of US Dollars so depending on the level of investments in these wind turbines, this maybe a viable option for Pakistan.

We should also invest in Solar energy simultaneously as we have abundance of sunshine.

Sindh has large areas of open land, with little or no population. That is where wind turbines should be placed.Also, it is wind turbine, not wind mills. Wind mills are used for mechanical work, like pumping water etc
Sorr, I meant wind turbines. They causes this climate change.

2000 MW is not enough to fulfill the needs of this nation

Bastard PPP giving fake promises as usual

Sorr, I meant wind turbines. They causes this climate change.

They don't cause climate change. Maybe local weather phenomenon, but climate is the term used to describe meteorological conditions of a place over a large period of time.

What does cause climate disruption, can be the case that of carbon-dioxide emissions from fossil fuels, as the world has been burning them for 200 years now, and there is scientific evidence of phenomena like the green house effect.

Monday, January 21, 2013 - Karachi—Sindh government is working on 40 different power projects in its wind corridor, with a total generation capacity of 2000 MW in next two years, said Mir Hussain Ali, provincial Secretary for Environment and Alternate Energy Department.

This will also allow the electrification of about 120 schools in rural Sindh, he said addressing a session on the Renewable Energy organized by IUCN - Pakistan on Sunday.

Talking about the opportunities in the wind corridor, he said, that the government is working on about 40 projects with various investors with total generation capacity of 2000 MW in the next two years.

“This is despite the fact that Renewable Energy projects often do not get a green light in public sector because of the initial costs,” he said. The Sindh secretary for environment and alternative energy said the government is also supplying solar stoves and working on a biogas project worth Rs. 200 million rupees.

The secretary for environment and alternative energy mentioned that in Mirpurkhas, Solar Water Pumping Stations have been installed to meet the electricity crunch.

Mir Hussain Ali also talked about having immense potential of biogas at the Cattle Colony in Karachi and prospects in coastal areas of Pakistan in lieu of wind related projects.

On the occasion Carl Pope, a renowned expert on renewable energy in his presentation, “Renewable Energy Cheaper in the Long Run,” said that presently over 1.3 billion people in the world are estimated to be living without electricity.

One billion of these people, including 700 million residents of South Asia will remain without electricity until 2030 if the switch to alternatives does not happen, he warned.—Agencies

This makes sense provided the cost is reasonable.

How many thousand MW it was sir? :)
:lol:

I guess they were only able to add around 400mw :lol: (figure coming from top of my head so not accurate but there were only 6-8 projects completed in Sindh sonce 2013 with each having capacity of about 50mw)

Back
Top Bottom