What's new

Should Pakistan Replace C-130 With IL-76?

Yep, mostly Australians but even the American air force have had hard a run at this machine and ended up giving them to the coast guard, citing budgets cuts as the reason. it's very expensive to maintain this aircraft not worth it for aircraft on a similar line to the CN-235, plus the supply chain is not very dependable.
The Aussies purchased their C27's via the US and this has caused a lot of the issues. (FMS via the USAF) Buy from Alenia would not have the same issues. Australian defence procurement is usually a mess.
The USAF got rid of them because of budget cuts

USAF Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz discusses the C-27J cut, at an AFA conference:
“The C-27 decision was a particularly difficult one for me, because Gen. George Casey, when he was chief of staff of the Army, and I agreed that we would migrate the C-27 to the Air Force and I assured him that I wouldn’t back out… But that was $487 billion dollars ago… ”

PAF does not need heavy and long-range transport aircraft. They cannot use the full potential of the Y-20 if they buy it, and maintaining and operating a large transport aircraft like the Y-20 is also very expensive. No economic efficiency.
Wrong weight class to replace the c130

Yes, my mistake.
So what about Y9? It is at the same level as C130.

Pakistan's ZDK-03 early warning aircraft uses the Y9 platform. PAF can easily maintain Y9.

img.mp.itc-2.jpg

u=2018442520,1625418118&fm=173&app=49&f=JPEG&access=215967316.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, my mistake.
So what about Y9? It is at the same level as C130.

View attachment 780981
View attachment 780982
We might go for them when C 130s give too many problems. Until now, they have been exceptionally good. As scores old operator and C 130 fulfilling all our needs, we do not particularly want to look out elsewhere until new requirements demand it.

Pakistan is also low on budget so we also do not have a lot of flexibility and luxury in this regard.

Why doesn't PAF consider Y20?

The data of Y20 is slightly worse than C17 and better than C130 and YL76. Moreover, PAF has never used Russian aircraft. Why add a new aircraft maintenance standard and add trouble to logistics?
C17 has been discontinued, so I suggest considering Y20.

View attachment 780973
View attachment 780974

Shaanxi Y-9 fulfill our requirement perfectly. Y-20 is an overkill. Majority of our airports won't be able to accommodate this plane anyway.

Different class.
PAF does not need heavy and long-range transport aircraft
Which is why we have been using the IL-78 Tankers for the purpose.... wait. :hitwall:
We absolutely need a squadron as part of our support of Allied militaries.

We might go for them when C 130s give too many problems. Until now, they have been exceptionally good. As scores old operator and C 130 fulfilling all our needs, we do not particularly want to look out elsewhere until new requirements demand it.

Pakistan is also low on budget so we also do not have a lot of flexibility and luxury in this regard.
PAF C-130s received new wings, airframe rebuilds and plenty of other upgrades over the years, they are perfectly fine to fly for a while more until PAF properly considers a replacement.

But we cannot replace them with something like a Y20, and IL76 Or even an A400M. They are all in a different and larger weight class. C130J would still be the most ideal option given training and logistics costs would stay down, but there are other options we can consider when the time comes.

The data of Y20 is slightly worse than C17 and better than C130 and YL76. Moreover, PAF has never used Russian aircraft. Why add a new aircraft maintenance standard and add trouble to logistics?

View attachment 780973
View attachment 780974
What is Y20 unit price ?

I think Y-9 is a better choice. It's not as expensive and suitable for Pakistani needs. Y-9 is basically C-130 class.
Y-9 is small, speed of warfare has evolved. C-17 or Y-20 is perfect balance between large strategic airlift and small troop transports. Chinese military also seems to be betting on Y-20 for their mobility command. It’s better to stick with something that is most likely to stay in production for long.

C-17 is very nice but kinda expensive.

Pakistan has operated the C-130 Hercules for over 55 years many of these airframes are very old and have alot of flying hours. It has proven itself as a workhorse and is in services with many countries of the world even today, further there are newer versions of this old design still being produced.

The IL-76 makes perfect sense as a replacement for the C-130 namely for the following reasons:

• The IL-76 is already in service the PAF in tanker form
  • The IL-76 is a proven design and a workhorse, yet it is larger than the C-130
  • The US is not a reliable arms supplier as evident historically and we must reduce our dependence and purchases from the US.
  • The IL-76 purchase/replacement of the C-130 will help build on the much improving Russia-Pakistan relations
  • The IL-76 is in service with many countries around the world and so obtaining spares will not be difficult.
  • The IL-76 is a relatively cheaper transport aircraft given the number produced and available
  • The exisiting C-130 aircraft in service are very old and in need of replacement.
We have a requirement of approximately 20 IL-76 to replace the 18 odd C-130 that we currently have in service.

To give you an indication the cost, The Russian airforce ordered 39 IL-76MD-90A for approximately $4.5 billion, so for 20 we can expect just over $2billion.

You can see the latest version that Russia is building and selling here:

you know what? your absolutely right, I'll get Imran Khan & Putin right on it post haste!
Putin 29092021230514.jpg

:lol:

View attachment 780973
View attachment 780974
Y20 is in a potent air lifter but we already use the IL76 as air refuelers so there is already exisiting facilities in Pakistan for its routine maintenance.

C17 is out of production though. Now they buy C-5M super galaxy.
Aren’t they making one C17 for India or the deal is off?

C-5M is just modernization of old plane. New avionics and stuff. They are not building new planes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom