What's new

Should Pakistan Go for EMP burst Devices and Jamming technologies?

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We got Nukes..we got Missiles..We have neighbouring contries with far better offense capabilities than us.
We can enter an all out weapons race which will lead us nowhere,as offense may not be our need..Our need is defence..
What do you say abouot the feasibility and effectiveness of EMP devices..Will they be enough to disable Indian Radars and Airforce?
If we use our nukes to build high altitude EMPs .. Can we flood battle fields with High energy bursts of radio waves across all frequencies..sufficient enough to fry most enemy electronics?
Or do you think its a myth?

I didnt even know EMP's existed.

Or even if it does exist, I doubt any country besides the US has it.

I didnt even know EMP's existed.

Or even if it does exist, I doubt any country besides the US has it.

They are still experimenting with it. No use in places in Like Afghanistan and Iraq where dense electronic network is absent.

Also, we have nukes, which are themselves EMP weapons. :):blink:

We got Nukes..we got Missiles..We have neighbouring contries with far better offense capabilities than us.
We can enter an all out weapons race which will lead us nowhere,as offense may not be our need..Our need is defence..
What do you say abouot the feasibility and effectiveness of EMP devices..Will they be enough to disable Indian Radars and Airforce?
If we use our nukes to build high altitude EMPs .. Can we flood battle fields with High energy bursts of radio waves across all frequencies..sufficient enough to fry most enemy electronics?

For such a system you need a very robuts space prog.apart from that the biggest question DO YOU HAVE THE MONEY???

A nuclear bomb, if set off very high in the atmosphere (above 50 km), generates a very strong EMP burst called HEMP (high-altitude electromagnetic pulse).

File:Bluegill_triple_prime_cropped.png

These high altitude nuclear explosions have very serious drawbacks:

1. You cannot control where the EMP burst will have effect and as such, your own communications will be disrupted (for example the Starfish Prime high altitude nuke test that was conducted by the US blacked out all communications for several hours in the eastern pacific and even destroyed three of their own satellites due to radiation).

2. If the nuke is powerful enough and detonated high enough (over 100 km but not in deep space), a majority of earth's communication will be disrupted for hours, i.e. blackout in Satellite comm and radio comm (no GPS, no military comm, no tv or radio, no aircraft or ship control/comm, etc). This will piss off the entire world as you can imagine :lol:

3. Back in the 50s and 60s, detonating HEMP devices had little repercussions since the electronics people used were very simple and as such, were much more robust compared to today (you know, things like vacuum tube computers, etc) and hence could withstand the effects of EMP to a certain extent. Now, due to sensitive solid-state electronics like integrated circuits in household components, an EMP burst will FRY the electronics of today...and you can understand the disaster that would occur. Taking the previous HEMP example (Starfish Prime) i mentioned:

The Starfish Prime electromagnetic pulse also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link. The EMP-damaged microwave link shut down telephone calls from Kauai to the other Hawaiian islands.

well our priority now is flood relief; nothing much else.

im not sure if we need EMP, though in long run who knows we could induct this capability.

Having nukes is still effective. It can keep our main enemy to the east at bay and prevent them from making any silly non-reversible errors.

For such a system you need a very robuts space prog.apart from that the biggest question DO YOU HAVE THE MONEY???

Thats a blunt reply...made me laugh..Good question btw...

The debate is on the credibility of such weapons..and are these effective enough to fry enemy electronics?

With electronics at the heart of every modern weapon...the one who excels at disabling them will prevail.

EMPs can be controlled,,,as per wiki...and the burst can be directed towards a certain area...

Thats a blunt reply...made me laugh..Good question btw...

The debate is on the credibility of such weapons..and are these effective enough to fry enemy electronics?

With electronics at the heart of every modern weapon...the one who excels at disabling them will prevail.

EMPs can be controlled,,,as per wiki...and the burst can be directed towards a certain area...

An EMP is much more complex than what wikipedia says.

We are talking about EMP bombs here, with no explosive fire and heat but electromagnetic waves in all directions. Actually directing them is a tough job, like Radar, the concept of bomb is to damage everything within a certain radius.

Problem is creating the powerful EMP. Because you certainly don't wanna explode an EMP bomb which takes out only a couple of computers.

For example, the Indian Army, advancing towards Pakistan, how many electronic gadgets do they have? And disabling them will lead to success or a mere failure? Like are all tanks electronically controlled, vehicles, troops, etc etc.

Plus you need a powerful source to create it without radiation....just because you wan't to disable all the ECUs of tanks and vehicles you are not gonna nuke them, or are you?

An EMP is much more complex than what wikipedia says.

We are talking about EMP bombs here, with no explosive fire and heat but electromagnetic waves in all directions. Actually directing them is a tough job, like Radar, the concept of bomb is to damage everything within a certain radius.

Problem is creating the powerful EMP. Because you certainly don't wanna explode an EMP bomb which takes out only a couple of computers.

For example, the Indian Army, advancing towards Pakistan, how many electronic gadgets do they have? And disabling them will lead to success or a mere failure? Like are all tanks electronically controlled, vehicles, troops, etc etc.

Plus you need a powerful source to create it without radiation....just because you wan't to disable all the ECUs of tanks and vehicles you are not gonna nuke them, or are you?

Exactly.

The most effective way to generate a large and powerful EMP burst is with a nuclear weapon.

Non-nuclear EMP devices still require conventional chemical explosives as their initial energy source and hence the range is limited as well as the strength.

Yes, yes we do.

Then Spend it on Infrustructures, Health + hopspital etc, maintainance, education, Food and help the flood Victims of Pakistan
rather than on weapons at the moment, because without these you can't build a better Pakistan.

THis is not to put any Pakistani down, but there are some things are more needed than others.

Then Spend it on Infrustructures, Health + hopspital etc, maintainance, education, Food and help the flood Victims of Pakistan
rather than on weapons at the moment, because without these you can't build a better Pakistan.

THis is not to put any Pakistani down, but there are some things are more needed than others.

You make a good point and while Pakistan spends just 3% of it's GDP, i think our forces have learned to make the maximum use of limited resources. Given the Hostile neighbors we face today and what not, we certainly need it.

Civilian government is way too corrupt to be given more. If it wasn't for all those Vehicles, Helicopters and Planes that our armed forces procured, who would help the flood victims.

Look at navy, their Sea King and hovercrafts are doing an awesome job! While in war they can be used to hunt down pirates/terrorists/submarines (in case of Sea King.).

We have good amount for health and education but it just gets wasted. Politicians and more politicians. Utter non-sense.

But i am glad we have motorways.....:agree:

I like to read about all sort of things.Today i was looking into satellite jamming.There have been reports floating around internet that some Chinese dudes have been disrupting US and also Chinese satellite transmissions,while working from their backyard.In 2002 a chinese political group called "fulan gong" not only jammed the usual state TV transmissions but also replaced it with their own transmissions.Something recently we saw in Transformers 2 when Decepticons override the TV transmissions with their own,and ask the world to hand over Sam Witwicky.
China is known to have extensive satellite jamming capability.In 2006 the chinese scintists directed a high power lase beam towards a US spy satellite,blinding it's cameras,rendering it usesless while it was flying over Chinese territory.
Another country using satellite jamming to Block BBC transmissions is Iran.
They do it at will,whenever BBC is broadcasting some Anti Iran material,the viewers experience clutter and interference.
Some dude also posted pictures of Ground base satellite jammers located on top of a tall building in Tehran.
These days all the warfare is mostly GPS guided.Missiles,Bombs, and even soldiers on ground take guidance from GPS navigation systems.But how reliable is GPS in actual warfare? apart from afghanistan where they dont have anything more than a few caves and mules.
In 2007 MOD conducted an experiment in Cornwall.They not only Jammed the GPS satellite signals but also spoofed it,and replaced it with their own false signal.That way taking control of an incoming enemy SMART Bomb or Missile and guiding it where ever they wanted to.
This company in India is selling GPS jamer which according to them can block out all GPS signals within a radius of 30 miles.
Chinese suppliers are openly selling small and cheap GPS Blocking devices.That can come handy for car thieves,as most modern Car tracking systems depend on GPS.Once the signal is blocked by a cheap device like this,nobody will ever know ever your car is gone.

Now that jamming technologies are widely available off the shelf..i dont think it will cost thast much..

EMP may be expeditious,but worth it...Jamming wont be expensive neither difficult to achieve..In fact it will save money for us.

I like to read about all sort of things.Today i was looking into satellite jamming.There have been reports floating around internet that some Chinese dudes have been disrupting US and also Chinese satellite transmissions,while working from their backyard.In 2002 a chinese political group called "fulan gong" not only jammed the usual state TV transmissions but also replaced it with their own transmissions.Something recently we saw in Transformers 2 when Decepticons override the TV transmissions with their own,and ask the world to hand over Sam Witwicky.
China is known to have extensive satellite jamming capability.In 2006 the chinese scintists directed a high power lase beam towards a US spy satellite,blinding it's cameras,rendering it usesless while it was flying over Chinese territory.
Another country using satellite jamming to Block BBC transmissions is Iran.
They do it at will,whenever BBC is broadcasting some Anti Iran material,the viewers experience clutter and interference.
Some dude also posted pictures of Ground base satellite jammers located on top of a tall building in Tehran.
These days all the warfare is mostly GPS guided.Missiles,Bombs, and even soldiers on ground take guidance from GPS navigation systems.But how reliable is GPS in actual warfare? apart from afghanistan where they dont have anything more than a few caves and mules.
In 2007 MOD conducted an experiment in Cornwall.They not only Jammed the GPS satellite signals but also spoofed it,and replaced it with their own false signal.That way taking control of an incoming enemy SMART Bomb or Missile and guiding it where ever they wanted to.
This company in India is selling GPS jamer which according to them can block out all GPS signals within a radius of 30 miles.
Chinese suppliers are openly selling small and cheap GPS Blocking devices.That can come handy for car thieves,as most modern Car tracking systems depend on GPS.Once the signal is blocked by a cheap device like this,nobody will ever know ever your car is gone.

Now that jamming technologies are widely available off the shelf..i dont think it will cost thast much..

EMP may be expeditious,but worth it...Jamming wont be expensive neither difficult to achieve..In fact it will save money for us.

Well the devices that can disrupt satellite linkages are not off the shelf but the concept is. I was in grade 10 back in Pakistan when i built my own electronic jammer....could jam the old 900mhz signal of Mobilink network at that time.

Because satellites communicate via radio waves, they are part of EM spectrum which tells us one thing.....if you have a similar frequency you can pretty much interfere with anything. But you need to know the frequency first.

Cell phone towers work near the range of 1800/1900mhz (In Pakistan) so everyone knows that. GPS works in the UHF band so once the frequency is know, you can interfere with it. Though the jamming device must be near the GPS receiver system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom