What's new

Should India re-think "One China Policy" ? Taiwan vice-president to stop in Delhi

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Taiwan vice-president to land in Delhi, China likely to bristle - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: In what is certain to raise hackles in China, India will allow Taiwan vice-president Wu Den-yih a layover at a Delhi airport en route to Rome Saturday morning. Wu will spend several hours in transit at the airport where he is expected to interact with senior government officials as his aircraft is refueled, TOI has learnt.
As it continues to observe a One-China policy, India doesn't have diplomatic relations with Taiwan. This is the first time that a top Taiwan leader will land in Delhi, the political nerve centre of India.
Both sides have worked hard to keep the Delhi transit under wraps until now, keeping in mind its sensitive nature and fearing an immediate reaction from Beijing. As China continues to pin India down over Arunachal Pradesh - refusing to issue regular visas to residents of the state New Delhi describes as an integral part of India - the stopover by Wu here is seen as India getting its own back on Beijing.
It allowed a layover to Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou in April 2012 under similar circumstances but only in Mumbai, a non-political centre. India's decision was then seen as an attempt to enhance engagement with Taipei even at the cost of annoying China.
Top officials here refused to talk about Wu's stopover, merely stating that India and Taiwan have growing economic and cultural ties and that India is not averse to engaging Taiwan. China considers the democratic island nation its own. Wu will be in Delhi en route to Vatican City where he will attend the canonization of Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II.
It is interesting that the government which takes over next month will face an immediate foreign policy challenge in deciding whether or not to send a youth delegation, comprising members from Arunachal, to China. China is said to have asked India's youth affairs ministry to not include anybody from Arunachal in the delegation.
India's "muscular" reaction, which is said to reflect the sentiment pervading India's foreign policy establishment on China, comes at a time when BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is widely tipped to lead his party to victory in the ongoing general elections. Modi, in fact, has visited Taipei in the past and his government has actively encouraged investments from Taiwan, including a proposed steel plant at Dahej.
China and Taiwan have been ruled separately since 1949 and while the two have thriving trade ties, Beijing still doesn't rule out use of force for taking back the island. Earlier this month, Beijing registered a strong protest with the US, and accused it of violating promises made over the Taiwan issue, after the head of US' Environmental Protection Agency Gina McCarthy visited Taipei

Now that sounds interesting. We should expect a warning soon :woot:

at the time when China continues to needle us by increasing its presence in Gilgit Baltistan and refusing visas to residents of Arunachal Pradesh ...there is no reason why we should keep away from Taiwan .

It's my personal opinion that this is the high time to do away with "One China policy " ....

at the time when China continues to needle us by increasing its presence in Gilgit Baltistan and refusing visas to residents of Arunachal Pradesh ...there is no reason why we should keep away from Taiwan .

It's my personal opinion that this is the high time to do away with "One China policy " ....
then you know nothing of Taiwan China, way back we decided fighting on diplomatic relations is dumb and ultimately not smart, so we won't try to sway nations to go to the other camp.

Taiwan won't even try or want India to abandon the one China policy, and you think you can use Taiwan as a pawn? Taiwan is a developed country, as they say everywhere, shit don't roll down hill.

Good about time. Tell those apologists who insist on us to bend over backwards to kiss China's butt to f-k off

I am not sure how much to read in this hushed up meeting with Taiwan's VP ...during transit to Europe

are we so scared on China that while we open to one of Asia's prominent country ...that we actually require cover of transit route ???

then you know nothing of Taiwan China, way back we decided fighting on diplomatic relations is dumb and ultimately not smart, so we won't try to sway nations to go to the other camp.

Taiwan won't even try or want India to abandon the one China policy, and you think you can use Taiwan as a pawn? Taiwan is a developed country, as they say everywhere, shit don't roll down hill.

I am not talking about using Taiwan as pawn
I am just talking about establishing relations with one of the most developed country in Asia ..which we refused to do so just to please China ....

I am not sure how much to read in this hushed up meeting with Taiwan's VP ...during transit to Europe

are we so scared on China that while we open to one of Asia's prominent country ...that we actually require cover of transit route ???

I am not talking about using Taiwan as pawn
I am just talking about establishing relations with one of the most developed country in Asia ..which we refused to do so just to please China ....
refer to the first part of my post and why Taiwan won't accept even if you offered.

strong relations with Taiwan are in interest of India

There is no need for India to stick to archaic One China policy when China continues its divisive policy towards India

refer to the first part of my post and why Taiwan won't accept even if you offered.

Is that the reason why Taiwan VP requested for transit through India and is happy meeting Indian officials ?

strong relations with Taiwan are in interest of India

There is no need for India to stick to archaic One China policy when China continues its divisive policy towards India

Is that the reason why Taiwan VP requested for transit through India and is happy meeting Indian officials ?

Stopping to refuel and a quick chat is now the event of the century? If the dude falls ill in India and goes to a hotel does that mean Taiwan wants to be part of India?

China is yet to mature to take such stance .

last time we know China has been throwing temper tantrum now and then whenever any National leaders would opt to meet Dalai lama ....

I agree this kind of diplomatic fighting is dumb ...but that's what China has been doing !!!

Stopping to refuel and a quick chat is now the event of the century? If the dude falls ill in India and goes to a hotel does that mean Taiwan wants to be part of India?

Is there no other place for Taiwan VP to refuel and chat ?

and who said this is the news of Century ?
Yes given the fact that India maintained distance from Taiwan so far ...so the news is definitely unusual .

The way you are getting worked up with this news and jumping in the discussion ...shows that may be this is the news of century for likes of you ....

I just took help of the news to emphasize my view point that when China continues its divisive policies towards India there is no reason why we should follow this " One China Policy " !!!

China is yet to mature to take such stance .

last time we know China has been throwing temper tantrum now and then whenever any National leaders would opt to meet Dalai lama ....

I agree this kind of diplomatic fighting is dumb ...but that's what China has been doing !!!

Is there no other place for Taiwan VP to refuel and chat ?

and who said this is the news of Century ?
Yes given the fact that India maintained distance from Taiwan so far ...so the news is definitely unusual .

There could be othe replace, but if he was going that way and if he had some business there why not stop there? It's not like he was the first person from Taiwan to set food on India.

As to we are not mature, yea right, your generals are constantly saying you can easily defeat China or defeat China and we are the immature nation.

But going back, this agreement is known and the incident a few month back of an african nation turning to PRC was accepted by Taiwan, because they found no foul play and accepted this as legitimate. BTW China didn't accept said relationship at that moment not sure the status today, but clearly this is working.

So, yea.

Taiwan vice-president to land in Delhi, China likely to bristle - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: In what is certain to raise hackles in China, India will allow Taiwan vice-president Wu Den-yih a layover at a Delhi airport en route to Rome Saturday morning. Wu will spend several hours in transit at the airport where he is expected to interact with senior government officials as his aircraft is refueled, TOI has learnt.
As it continues to observe a One-China policy, India doesn't have diplomatic relations with Taiwan. This is the first time that a top Taiwan leader will land in Delhi, the political nerve centre of India.
Both sides have worked hard to keep the Delhi transit under wraps until now, keeping in mind its sensitive nature and fearing an immediate reaction from Beijing. As China continues to pin India down over Arunachal Pradesh - refusing to issue regular visas to residents of the state New Delhi describes as an integral part of India - the stopover by Wu here is seen as India getting its own back on Beijing.
It allowed a layover to Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou in April 2012 under similar circumstances but only in Mumbai, a non-political centre. India's decision was then seen as an attempt to enhance engagement with Taipei even at the cost of annoying China.
Top officials here refused to talk about Wu's stopover, merely stating that India and Taiwan have growing economic and cultural ties and that India is not averse to engaging Taiwan. China considers the democratic island nation its own. Wu will be in Delhi en route to Vatican City where he will attend the canonization of Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II.
It is interesting that the government which takes over next month will face an immediate foreign policy challenge in deciding whether or not to send a youth delegation, comprising members from Arunachal, to China. China is said to have asked India's youth affairs ministry to not include anybody from Arunachal in the delegation.
India's "muscular" reaction, which is said to reflect the sentiment pervading India's foreign policy establishment on China, comes at a time when BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is widely tipped to lead his party to victory in the ongoing general elections. Modi, in fact, has visited Taipei in the past and his government has actively encouraged investments from Taiwan, including a proposed steel plant at Dahej.
China and Taiwan have been ruled separately since 1949 and while the two have thriving trade ties, Beijing still doesn't rule out use of force for taking back the island. Earlier this month, Beijing registered a strong protest with the US, and accused it of violating promises made over the Taiwan issue, after the head of US' Environmental Protection Agency Gina McCarthy visited Taipei

We might not have diplomatic relations with Taiwan, I am not sure about that.But we do have a high degree of trade relations with Taiwan, mostly private companies.
We have a small family business that deals mainly on plastics and oil seals.We have links with Taiwanese companies and those chaps come to India for business purposes quite often.

The way you are getting worked up with this news and jumping in the discussion ...shows that may be this is the news of century for likes of you ....

I just took help of the news to emphasize my view point that when China continues its divisive policies towards India there is no reason why we should follow this " One China Policy " !!!

sure there is I can think of 9.2 trillion reasons why you shouldn't, just like America can think of 16 trillion reasons on why we should listen to them.

And I'm only pointing out facts not fantasies. Do you want me to go along with your false accusations?

CHINI have no respect to our boarder ...we must re-think of One-China policy...One-China policy is nothing more then arrogant BS policy.

Exactly ...I do not understand ...why we follow such stupid policies ....

We are endorsing the territorial claims of expansionist country by supporting this " One China Policy " which has swallowed our own territory and continues one whole state of Arunachal Pradesh as theirs ....

Forget about their overt and covert support to Pakistan to create constant trouble for India ...

It's time we get rid of this " One China Policy " ....

We might not have diplomatic relations with Taiwan, I am not sure about that.But we do have a high degree of trade relations with Taiwan, mostly private companies.
We have a small family business that deals mainly on plastics and oil seals.We have links with Taiwanese companies and those chaps come to India for business purposes quite often.

I know ..but we need to take it to the next level ....

why do we have to hide behind rouse of transit stop over to talk to Taiwan leaders ?

Back
Top Bottom