Shinzo Abe visit bid to contain Beijing: China daily

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SOURCE: TNN

50146278.cms

panese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe touched down here on Friday on a three-day trip. Welcoming him in a tweet, Modi described Abe as a “great friend and phenomenal leader”. Abe’s visit will see the two leaders announcing some progress in negotiations between the two countries for a civil nuclear agreement.

Abe’s visit also comes soon after his country’s warships took part in the annual Indo-US Malabar naval war-games in the Bay of Bengal in October, which riled China. In fact, China’s Global Times said in an article on Friday that Abe’s visit was part of Japan’s attempts to contain China.

Apart from the stepped-up bilateral defence exchanges and exercises, India is also looking to purchase at least 12 Japanese US-2i amphibious aircraft for the Navy for around $1.3 billion, with the Coast Guard also wanting five such planes, as was reported by TOI earlier.

The bilateral joint working group has been discussing “cooperation on the US-2 amphibian aircraft” — including technology transfer and licenced production — since 2013 but it is yet to reach a contracting stage as of now.

A number of agreements, including awarding a Rs 98,000-crore contract to build India’s first bullet train network, will likely be signed.After the talks, he will leave for Varanasi, Modi’s Parliamentary constituency. Modi will accompany Abe during his nearly four-and-a-half-hour-long visit to Varanasi where the two leaders will attend the Ganga Aarti at Dashashwamedh Ghat.

Abe will return to the capital in the evening. The Japanese Prime Minister had accompanied Modi during his visit to Kyoto last year.

In Delhi, Abe will call on President Pranab Mukherjee, attend a Japan-India innovation seminar and interact with a group of business leaders. At the last Summit meeting held in Tokyo last year, the two prime ministers had agreed to elevate the relationship to “Special Strategic and Global Partnership”.

The Modi government had earlier also asked Japan, which recently lifted its five-decade-old arms export embargo, if it was interested in fielding its Soryuclass submarines for the over Rs 60,000 crore project to build six stealth submarines in India.But with no experience of selling its military wares, Japan is likely to find it difficult to participate in a competition that will also have Russia, France, Germany and others in the fray.
But the US-2i project will be a direct government-to-government deal without such obstacles and competitors.

Capable of short take-offs from land as well as water, the US-2i has a range of over 4,500-km. Powered by four big turboprops, it can land even on rough seas amid three-metre high waves. Though basically designed for air-sea search and rescue operations, the US-2i can also rapidly transport 30 combat-ready soldiers to “hot zones” in an emergency.

Chinese are essentially insecure

China provides

Fighter planes,
Traniners'
Military transport planes,
AWACS,
Attack helicopters,
UAVs,
Air to air missiles,
SAMs,
Cruise missiles(engines and tech),
Anti ship missiles,
Ballistic missiles (through proxies),
Ships,
Patrol boats,
Submarines,
Ports,
Tanks,
Artillery,
Ammo,
Nuke knowhow,
UNSC protection to terrorists

etc etc to pakistan and has the cheek to bit@h about two large independent, responsible and successful nations building bilateral ties.

I think they find such ties unpalatable unless one country is subservient to the other.

Last edited:
Lol what farce - a head of state of an independent nation visits another independent nation on call his counterpart there mostly for business related engagements and it becomes "CONTAINING CHINA".

I doubt really if China officially will say something like that. Officially i know for sure China was very keen for the high speed bullet train as baring Indonesia they had not successfully bagged projects of similar nature. Essentially a deal of Indian Railways modernised Bullet Trains opens China's expertise to World market.
For US2 i still doubt if China would be feeling hostile as its more of SAR usage and troop movement is limited in numbers.

I still feel TOI is trying to se the name of China to win brownie points. The visit is more of economic nature or business nature. The defence pact does not necessarily mean India gets access to higher end Japanese military technology. (OF course i would love to see them eventually)

If China did say in real about containing, perhaps they can also visit us and assure us that they wont arm to teeth our neighbors and will contribute in our economical growth story by offering similar deals like Japan does.

Back
Top Bottom