What's new

Shenzhen, one of the fastest-growing cities in the world

Princess

Reaction score
SZ00.jpg

↑ Shenzhen, in early 1980s

Shēnzhèn (Chinese: 深圳 Mandarin pronunciation: [ʂə́ntʂə̂n]) is a major city in the south of Southern China's Guangdong Province, situated immediately north of Hong Kong.

The area became China's first—and one of the most successful—Special Economic Zones (SEZs). It currently also holds sub-provincial administrative status, with powers slightly less than a province.

Shenzhen's modern cityscape is the result of the vibrant economy made possible by rapid foreign investment since the institution of the policy of "reform and opening" establishment of the SEZ in the late 1979, before which it was only a small village. Both Chinese and foreign nationals have invested enormous amounts of money in the Shenzhen SEZ. More than US$30 billion in foreign investment has gone into both foreign-owned and joint ventures, at first mainly in manufacturing but more recently in the service industries as well. Shenzhen is now considered one of the fastest-growing cities in the world.

Being southern mainland China's major financial centre, Shenzhen is home to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange as well as the headquarters of numerous high-tech companies. Shenzhen is also one of the busiest container ports in China.

↓ Shenzhen, today

SZ99.jpg

Marvelous, just like Dubai, from an unknown place to be a modern city ! Great economy development always result on great city development, it is good for China. I hope Indonesia can learn from China to decentralize its economic center, so that every province my grow simultaneously without too much disturbance from the central committees.

Marvelous, just like Dubai, from an unknown place to be a modern city ! Great economy development always result on great city development, it is good for China. I hope Indonesia can learn from China to decentralize its economic center, so that every province my grow simultaneously without too much disturbance from the center committees.

I wish all Asian be rich and everyone can comfortably live in peace and harmony.

6.gif

Great for China has that development level. I hope it will not take environment affect like Beijing.:rolleyes:

P/S: I heard that Shenzhen is heaven of copy and fake product. :P

I wish all Asian be rich and everyone can comfortably live in peace and harmony.

6.gif

can you post more pics of the earlier Shenzhen city, i really want to know how the city was in 1980 or even older in time.

Great for China has that development level. I hope it will not take environment affect like Beijing.:rolleyes:

P/S: I heard that Shenzhen is heaven of copy and fake product. :P

Although many writer call Shenzhen as "the capital of coping/KIRFs"
but in most case, they are doing legal things
copy/maintain the function(for example, the function of instant messaging)
and not copy the method of how to achieve that function
meanwhile, invest heavily on research of improving users' experience

A simple logic here is
you can hardly win in market competition
if you insist on producing a car with 7 wheels

2005911224845256.gif

↑ Yes, ICQ is the first famous instant messaging software
↓ but Tencent QQ is far advanced than that

01) 720P VOIP
02) Multiple Video Talks with Real-time Effects
03) Roaming Customized Emotion Pictures and Conversation Records, no matter what PC you're using
04) Built-in SNS + Blog (like Facebook, with 597+ million users)
05) Built-in Microblog (like twitter, with 469+ million users)
06) Email Reminder (QQMail, No.1 email service in China)
07) QQShow / freely customize your image in a picture that is listed
08) QQ Group, connect people with same hobby / in one company / with common interest
enable them talk together, sing a song or share information / files
09) Distant assistant / Remote control
10) WeChat (like whatsapp), connect with 300+ million users on smartphone
11) Capture screenshot of you handset on PC
12) See a tidy latest local and world News window after log-in
13) You can customize who can see you online you using invisible mode, vice versa
14) Automatic change you status if you are not using the computer
15) Automatic reply (could be customized)
16) Screen shock function if hope to get a reply immediately
17) Log-in on different devices (PC/Tablet/Smartphone) at the same time
18) If you want to sending files to a offline friend, it will handle the transit
19) Share music and listen together with your friends, play game together with your friends
.... and many other functions, sorry but I'm not their employee

when we reviewing other big companies in Shenzhen
many of them are pioneer of innovation.
Shenzhen companies holding 45.4% of China's PCT patent (the International Patent)

According to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) on 27 January 2009, Huawei was ranked as the largest applicant under WIPO's Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), with 1,737 applications published in 2008.

ZTE Corporation of Shenzhen, with 2,826 published applications, overtook Panasonic Corporation of Japan (2,463) as the No.1 applicant in 2011.

http://www.wipo.int/freepublications/en/patents/901/wipo_pub_901_2012.pdf

BGI, the largest genomics center/ genome-mapping facility in the world, provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for medical, agricultural and environmental applications. We help our customers achieve their research goals by delivering rapid, high-quality results using a broad array of cost-effective, cutting-edge technologies.

Nature announced Ten People Who Mattered This Year, BGI Executive Director Jun Wang is on the list and also the only Chinese.

Shenzhen is also one nuclear research center of China ↓

W020121226285388842140.jpg

Science Magazine announced the top ten Breakthroughs of the Year 2012
including Daya Bay Neutrino Experiment Results of Shenzhen

Amazing. Shenzhen is growing fast. In 5-10 years time, Shenzhen might become the New York of Asia.

I was there in 2006. By then, it was fully developed. I'm not sure it had changed much since then except a few additional sky scrapers.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom