Shades of Sikkim

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
SHYAM K.C.

APR 04 -

Last month, an overwhelming majority of Crimeans voted in favour of secession from Ukraine to join the Russian federation. Many allege that the referendum was Russia sponsored and was meant to give a semblance of democratic ethos to what would have otherwise been a clear case of annexation. The people in this part of the world hardly seemed to be bothered by what was happening in eastern Europe. But the western European countries and the US appear to fear a Russian takeover of the whole of Ukraine. The result of the referendum in Crimea, which is said to have an overwhelming majority of people of Russian ethnicity, was a foregone conclusion. And of course, a 'merger' attained through a democratic method such as a referendum cannot be reversed.

Crimea and Sikkim
Critics of the Crimean referendum, almost all of whom have a western European mindset, say that the referendum was 'illegal'. What is legal in politics? Was ex-king Gyanendra's restoration of the Parliament in 2006 legal? What does legality do in the face of popular uprising (in Nepal's case) or in the face of total wiping out of an ethnicity (in Crimea's case)? Do the implications of wiping out of ethnic identity ring a bell? It should in Nepal's case, if one cares to ponder. The same countries that oppose the Russian annexation of Crimea—whatever elese it is called, it is in fact an annexation—were silent when it there was a similar situation in South Asia almost 40 years ago.
According to a 2001 Nepali Times edition, BB Gurung, a former chief minister of the Indian state of Sikkim said, “We can't turn back the clock now.” Under the Indo-Sikkim Treaty of 1950, Sikkim was made a 'protectorate' of India and the 1975 referendum effectively paved the way for Sikkim to join India. The US State Department, in documents declassified in 2007, wondered why India did what it did facing international criticism when it had effective control over Sikkim. The declassified documents (available readily on the web) reads, “Possibly India's confrontation with the Chogyal last year (1974) and his continued effort to assert his independent authority prompted India to undertake a 'permanent' solution at this time.”

Protests and consequences
International criticism of the 1975 Sikkim referendum was, at best, muted and nowhere near what the Europeans and Americans (the US) are currently voicing (criticisms) and doing (sanctions) today. China (think of Tibet) criticised India and accused the then Soviet Union of colluding with India. But the criticism in Nepal was rather loud. There were street protests and the National Assembly (Rastriya Panchayat) condemned what it called India's annexation of Sikkim. The result was devastating for Nepal. There were multiple sanctions (including on petroleum products) and Nepalis living temporarily in eastern Indian states were evicted. The movement of Nepalis in these areas, contrary to the 1950 Nepal-India Treaty of Friendship, was restricted and Nepalis travelling to these areas had to obtain special permits from the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu.
The tension between New Delhi and Gangtok was brewing since the early 1970s and late king Birendra, in his speech at a farewell dinner during his coronation in February 1975, called on the international community to declare Nepal a ‘Zone of Peace’ (ZOP). By the time a western-style multiparty democracy was restored in 1990, more than 100 countries, except India, came out in support of the ZOP. But when democracy was restored in Nepal, out went the ZOP. It was as though regime and system changes force countries to change their national interests to suit the interests of more powerful countries. Or such changes show the assymetrical relationship between the leaders of small and big and powerful countries, particularly when leaders of small countries find, what they think to be a refuge in big and powerful countries which helps them develop—and may be unconsciously—a tilt towards them. Nepal has so far remained silent on the Russian annexation and the fact is that it seems to have done so because the masters of the present leadership have remained quiet.

Inconsisent opposition
In a true democracy, plebiscites help ascertain the wishes of the majority of the people. Yet, this mode of understanding the people's wishes has been denied time and again in many countries and in many areas in different countries. There is always a fear of a breakup of countries because of such plebiscites. In Nepal, the Rastriya Prajatantra Party-Nepal has been calling for a referendum on secularism and on the monarchy. Political parties in power and different pressure groups obviously would not want such a referendum to ever take place. There is a saying that freedom is a myth and a rainbow which everyone strives for but cannot reach. The western European and American attitude is immensely idealistic on one hand and equally contemptible on the other. The Russian annexation of Crimea on whatever grounds needs to be condemned. But the European and American reaction would have been more than justified had they responded similarly on all such occasions. The West showed no hesitation while sending in aircraft to Libya following an uprising there. But what have the Europeans and Americans done in the case of Syria, where thousands have been killed and many more thousands rendered homeless? Is this not a two-faced attitude?

Shades of Sikkim | Opinion | Oped

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more on the Sikkim annexation read The India Doctrine -

The India Doctrine (1947-2007) | Mohammad Munshi - Academia.edu

Man, things must be desperate, for you to be opening so many threads for your books. what, no one buying it?

Man, things must be desperate, for you to be opening so many threads for your books. what, no one buying it?

No actually many have bought it but I am allowing people to download it free and thousands already have. Thanks for your concern.

No actually many have bought it but I am allowing people to download it free and thousands already have. Thanks for your concern.

Since you make a case and point of my state and so intently equate it with Crimea's voting, you conveniently forget to see what troops were stationed and how. Let me teach you:

1- Russia had a military garrison, naval base and black sea rights in Crimea ever since USSR's dissolution. Indian Union of then had nothing of that sort in the Kingdom of Sikkim.

2- Russia had about 10-15,000+ troops during the accession in Crimea. During the palace confrontation in Gangtok, there were only 75 soldiers to stop the royal guard.

This guy who seems to be having a one-track mind, needs to see a shrink! This is the gazillionth thread on the same topic!

His illusions and delusions are mind blowing! And his credibility is hitting new lows. His desperation is so overwhelming that he's started making a fool of himself!

This is nothing but an attempt to publicize his moronic articles and books to PDF members which is banned. Promotional threads are a strict no-no. He should know the terms and conditions more-so as he has been made a so called 'think tank analyst' due to his anti India tirades which is music to the ears of many out here.

Can Webby please look into this? It sucks!

@WebMaster :

Gaddiff killed western in Lockberbie even Obama could not save him out of karma.

Without using forces Kremia already Russian and India still need sending troops to fully get the good thing.

Since you make a case and point of my state and so intently equate it with Crimea's voting, you conveniently forget to see what troops were stationed and how. Let me teach you:

1- Russia had a military garrison, naval base and black sea rights in Crimea ever since USSR's dissolution. Indian Union of then had nothing of that sort in the Kingdom of Sikkim.

2- Russia had about 10-15,000+ troops during the accession in Crimea. During the palace confrontation in Gangtok, there were only 75 soldiers to stop the royal guard.

So basically your argument is that since India had no real presence in Sikkim it had no right or legitimate claim to annex the country ... Thank you.

Now a Bangladeshi will teach a person from Sikkim about the Sikkim history and what is legitimate for them .

Levels of desperation ....... :lol:

No at all. I merely trying to understand.

This guy who seems to be having a one-track mind, needs to see a shrink! This is the gazillionth thread on the same topic!

I have no control over what article appears on the internet. I saw this in a Nepali newspaper just this morning and I posted it. As for my book I am not making any money from this and so it is strictly not a marketing exercise. There is no profit for me on this.

So basically your argument is that since India had no real presence in Sikkim it had no right or legitimate claim to annex the country ... Thank you.

Apne kaam se kaam rakh na. Why obsess about non Islamic world?

Yeah just like you answered my seven questions on the other threat with a silence proving that you are in the middle of a serious identity crisis.

Apne kaam se kaam rakh na. Why obsess about non Islamic world?

The poor chap and his kind are in a crisis which side to choose from. Heart demands to follow this region while head demands to follow the 'other' region.

Kya karega. :D

Yeah just like you answered my seven questions on the other threat with a silence proving that you are in the middle of a serious identity crisis.

The poor chap and his kind are in a crisis which side to choose from. Heart demands to follow this region while head demands to follow the 'other' region.

Kya karega. :D

Neither of your comments make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom