What's new

Separate Tamil nation will become a reality in Sri Lanka: Karunanidhi

So you came across a fancy looking term on an indian website and decided to flaunt it on a public forum?! Please read up a bit on forums like the Justice Party, read up bit on guys like Periyar and CN Annadurai. Since the independence, though there have been instances of anti-hindi sentiments in TN (like during the riots of 1965), the late 50s and the 60s saw the infeasibility of such an idea dawn on the leaders and the claim for "Dravida Nadu" died a natural death. Meanwhile, parties like the DMK, which displayed muted advocacy, at best, for a separate state post independence, embraced the indian union and its federal structure and participated in the elections. Some extremists often surface, such as the TNLA, but they serve only to add colour to an already diverse discourse on society and culture.

But more importantly, the politicians and leaders may harp on a certain tune, but the people of TN have firmly been within the national fold since independence, backing the nation on the most critical of times like the wars against pak and china. And their level of patriotism is second to none. Can say so with personal experience, having lived in Chennai for nearly 3 years.

As for karunanidhi's remarks that you have provided the link for - i am presuming that you are not in touch with ground realities in TN. Let me add context to Karunanidhi's remarks, in the interest of those suffering from ignorance. The DMK is reeling from the aftershocks of 2G scam. The scam which caught the country's attention (which allegedly cost the exchequer about USD 37 billion) has seen senior party ministers A Raja (former telecom minister), Dayanidhi Maran (former union textiles minister) and even karunidhi's daughter - Kanimozhi feature on the radar of investigators. Meanwhile, the 2G PR disaster, lead to the party suffering an embarrassing defeat in the 2011 assembly polls, where the party could not even garner enough votes to form the principal opposition in TN. All of this, while his two sons - Stalin and Alagiri, have locked horns over who heads the party after Karunanidhi bows out, with the party's future at stake. And let's not forget the Jayalalitha, the current CM, seeking retribution by looking to have cops chase after DMK office bearers on charges of land grabbing - being termed by the local media as the "land grab offensive"

Given this context, these desperate cries by the former CM, are merely cheap theatrics to stay relevant to the electorate and to register on the public memory - Nothing more, nothing less.

Hence, your half baked theories and claims lack basis, reflect a lack of understanding of the politics of Tamil Nadu and are unwarranted.

Cheers.

So you came across a fancy looking term on an indian website and decided to flaunt it on a public forum?! Please read up a bit on forums like the Justice Party, read up bit on guys like Periyar and CN Annadurai. Since the independence, though there have been instances of anti-hindi sentiments in TN (like during the riots of 1965), the late 50s and the 60s saw the infeasibility of such an idea dawn on the leaders and the claim for "Dravida Nadu" died a natural death. Meanwhile, parties like the DMK, which displayed muted advocacy, at best, for a separate state post independence, embraced the indian union and its federal structure and participated in the elections. Some extremists often surface, such as the TNLA, but they serve only to add colour to an already diverse discourse on society and culture.

But more importantly, the politicians and leaders may harp on a certain tune, but the people of TN have firmly been within the national fold since independence, backing the nation on the most critical of times like the wars against pak and china. And their level of patriotism is second to none. Can say so with personal experience, having lived in Chennai for nearly 3 years.

As for karunanidhi's remarks that you have provided the link for - i am presuming that you are not in touch with ground realities in TN. Let me add context to Karunanidhi's remarks, in the interest of those suffering from ignorance. The DMK is reeling from the aftershocks of 2G scam. The scam which caught the country's attention (which allegedly cost the exchequer about USD 37 billion) has seen senior party ministers A Raja (former telecom minister), Dayanidhi Maran (former union textiles minister) and even karunidhi's daughter - Kanimozhi feature on the radar of investigators. Meanwhile, the 2G PR disaster, lead to the party suffering an embarrassing defeat in the 2011 assembly polls, where the party could not even garner enough votes to form the principal opposition in TN. All of this, while his two sons - Stalin and Alagiri, have locked horns over who heads the party after Karunanidhi bows out, with the party's future at stake. And let's not forget the Jayalalitha, the current CM, seeking retribution by looking to have cops chase after DMK office bearers on charges of land grabbing - being termed by the local media as the "land grab offensive"

Given this context, these desperate cries by the former CM, are merely cheap theatrics to stay relevant to the electorate and to register on the public memory - Nothing more, nothing less.

Hence, your half baked theories and claims lack basis, reflect a lack of understanding of the politics of Tamil Nadu and are unwarranted.

Cheers.

corruption in india is not only concentrated to one party or one region it's everywhere, if you want to target some one it should be the system which allows corruption to flourish why target one guy or one particular party?

I get that, my point however is that it's dead things that are revived. The ideology exists, potential recruits exist. You need an activator, success of the Tamil Insurgency in Sri Lanka will be that activator.

the real question is, what is that ''spark'' needed to ignite and cause the domino effect

Have you gone through the thread? No Indian here supports that loud mouth.

Its good if Indians don't support him. But this Karunanidhi guy was the chief minister of your TN 5 times which means that
if not whole India, tamils do support his idea and if I am not wrong TN is one of the most influential states in India and has
influence over Indian foreign policy as demonstrated by the Indian support of the recent UN resolution on SL. What basis does
your tamil countrymen have to support such idea?

because once the trend begins, Manipur Assam Orissa Jharkand West Bengal and Tamilnadu will follow suit...elements in those states are already itching for separation

There is no separatist tendencies anywhere. People will now start posting links from random sites to prove your point. The voices you hear are the outliers. Not taking jibes at you, but with a relatively less diverse nation supposedly bound by religion, you have "separatist" talk. Isn't it normal to expect the same in a country 100 times more diverse with nothing but history binding us? But to reiterate, people are too invested in the country to ask for separation. They are asking for more participation in the success, and that is not a bad thing.

I get that, my point however is that it's dead things that are revived. The ideology exists, potential recruits exist. You need an activator, success of the Tamil Insurgency in Sri Lanka will be that activator.
Did creation of bangladesh activated insurgency in west bengal???

if need be, India will crush tamil seperatism with Iron Fist, you saw how they crushed Sikhs.

the best thing india can do at this stage is diversfy tamil population by sending people from north to south.

Please clarify where you are from. I will have to explain the situation to you accordingly and point out why you are misguided on the first point and totally off color on the second.

India is a big country with a much bigger land & population mass compared to pakistan & it becomes hard to keep it united by catering to all 100plus languages, so the thurst of 1 single langauge hindi comes into picture, if the tamil fanboyism raises it's ugly head it would be shown no mercy, just like Sikhs.

my speculation.

Again, please clarify your background and I will explain why you are mistaken.

Its good if Indians don't support him. But this Karunanidhi guy was the chief minister of your TN 5 times which means that
if not whole India, tamils do support his idea and if I am not wrong TN is one of the most influential states in India and has
influence over Indian foreign policy as demonstrated by the Indian support of the recent UN resolution on SL. What basis does

His party was decimated in the last general elections and is only the 3rd biggest in TN assembly. All this rhetoric is just a political farce to rally his party for the next election. Those who are in touch with Tamil politics will understand this, which unfortunately you are not.

Tamil Nadu politics is like a see-saw between two Dravidian parties and can't be explained in this context. It has nothing to do with the support for the Eelam or anything.

corruption in india is not only concentrated to one party or one region it's everywhere, if you want to target some one it should be the system which allows corruption to flourish why target one guy or one particular party?

This scam is the biggest to date in Independent India and was bad PR for DMK.

Tamil insurgency in srilanka will go nowhere, tamil insurgency wont stop until whole srilanka is defeated - china & pak won't let that happen.

This scam is the biggest to date in Independent India and was bad PR for DMK.

a rape is still a rape, doesn't matter if it was only for 2 min duration or 60 min duration.

LTTE ran their own defacto country from 1987 to 2008. Did that activated the movement in TN?.....NO.

a rape is still a rape, doesn't matter if it was only for 2 min duration or 60 min duration.

And Troll is still a Troll, even if he hides behind false flags.

Please clarify where you are from. I will have to explain the situation to you accordingly and point out why you are misguided on the first point and totally off color on the second.

Again, please clarify your background and I will explain why you are mistaken.

i am french in canada now does it help?

Yes, you have caught on to what I was talking about. This is exactly my point. The Dravidistan Movt ran out of steam however, a victory in Sri Lanka will re-energize their spirit and India may have another insurgency on their hands. Case in point:
After the fall of East Pakistan, the Baloch insurgency flared up to unimaginable heights, then the Sindhudesh insurgency started in tandem.

I understand where you are coming from, but one important thing to note is that the situation in India is very different now. Dravid Nadu or Dravid Pradesh was a politico-ethnic movement caused due to many misunderstandings between the politicians of the north and the south. This was back when South India was way more developed than the north in terms of education and infrastructure and people perceived all their money being given to the northern states. This was still early days after partition so the north was understandably in a delicate situation, while the south did not have to deal with it. There was the issue of one common national language which was an impractical option and people were opposed to that in the south. We weathered that storm and are now in a more homogeneous society with all states doing well. Why will the south want to secede now? Even if there is widespread support for the Eelam, Tamilians will want it to be a separate entity culturally bound to Tamil Nadu. Not a separate nation along with TN.

Back
Top Bottom