What's new

Semiconductor industry: A new possibility for Bangladesh

Totally agree. A lot of potential. But they not fully utilizing it, as evident from sub-par investor materials available for foreign investors.

One positive effect I noticed is that a lot of local companies signed up for a place in these parks. This is good for propelling domestic companies and allowing them to grow. But local companies are limited by technology, so we need to have foreign presence as well. I would like to see more local-foreign JVs in place.

Nobody is talking about semiconductor fab here. Walton is likely also going to begin with designing.
I don't want to rile up BAL fanboys, but they should not have named it " Bangobandhu High Tech city " , investors like to stay out of politics.
Ideally they hire someone who has experience in reaching out to investors and will put Bangladesh's interest first.

Says the idiot who trashes BD 24/7 and was only last week predicting and wanking for a dollar crisis!!!

I want BD people to be realistic.

Let’s climb up the garment ladder first.

Steady growth better than reaching for the sky and falling on your arse!!

Get at least one uni in the Asia 100!

You exposed your true nationality when you started mocking at the slightest possibility that Bangladesh could even be in the semiconductor industry. We can all see how much you care about Bangladesh. Your knowledge on Bangladesh is same as my knowledge on Uganda.

Since you don't have anything to contribute on topic, don't pollute the thread with your off topic nonsense.

Not yet of course but maybe one day 10-15 years in the future.

This is still very early days.

This is a very expensive endeavour!

If the money comes via FDI - fair enough.

But if the domestic banks fund it - I will be worried.

Whenever governments get involved - you get poor allocation of capital.

Remember, communists could send rockets to space but couldn’t build a reliable car!

This is a very expensive endeavour!

If the money comes via FDI - fair enough.

But if the domestic banks fund it - I will be worried.

Whenever governments get involved - you get poor allocation of capital.

Remember, communists could send rockets to space but couldn’t build a reliable car!

Like I say this is very early days but 10-15 years down the line, Walton could be in a position to build its own fab like another home electronics manufacturer Samsung did.

Not yet of course but maybe one day 10-15 years in the future.

This is still very early days.

Agreed.

India is only now seriously investing in fab after years of involvement in design. They earn 60 billion annually through design alone if I am not mistaken.

We need to follow what Indians have done in terms of gaining experience through chip design and make an entry into the industry. In 15-20 years time if everything goes according to plan, it is very possible for Bangladeshi companies to invest in fabrication too.

Like I say this is very early days but 10-15 years down the line, Walton could be in a position to build its own fab like another home electronics manufacturer Samsung did.

Walton could definitely do it - if it starts selling big ticket home appliances to the west.

Why hasn’t Walton tried to sell directly via Amazon?

I would definitely consider buying Walton branded blenders and toasters 😂😂

I have seen some Chinese manufacturers selling via Alibaba and Amazon.

Agreed.

India is only now seriously investing in fab after years of involvement in design. They earn 60 billion annually through design alone if I am not mistaken.

We need to follow what Indians have done in terms of gaining experience through chip design and make an entry into the industry. In 15-20 years time if everything goes according to plan, it is very possible for Bangladeshi companies to invest in fabrication too.

BD does not even need to be close to the leading edge when it sets out to build its own fab as it can design and produce chips for devices and products like fridges, TVs, trains etc that do not need as small fabrication node tech compared to mobile phones, laptops etc.

As the future gets more and more automated and AI driven, those countries that invest in semiconductors design and fabrication will reap handsome rewards.

Walton could definitely do it - if it starts selling big ticket home appliances to the west.

Why hasn’t Walton tried to sell directly via Amazon?

I would definitely consider buying Walton branded blenders and toasters 😂😂

I have seen some Chinese manufacturers selling via Alibaba and Amazon.

Please give it time as this is early days for Walton in the West. They are in the process of getting deals signed with people like Amazon etc.
Currently a lot of the stuff sold in the West are under different brand but you can buy a Walton branded TV in RoI right now.

I would 100% buy a Walton 4K TV over an LG, Samsung or Sony.

BD does not even need to be close to the leading edge when it sets out to build its own fab as it can design and produce chips for devices and products like fridges, TVs, trains etc that do not need as small fabrication tech compared to mobile phones a day laptops etc.

As the future gets more and more automated and AI driven, those countries that invest in semiconductors design and fabrication will reap handsome rewards.

Yes. With all the AI and robotics development, the semiconductor industry is going to reach 1 Trillion by 2030 according to McKinsey.

Bangladesh needs to dive into this now and gain the early mover advantage. We will eventually become less competitive in RMG as people's income rises. The earlier we can diversify and transition into a future proof market, the better.

Yes. With all the AI and robotics development, the semiconductor industry is going to reach 1 Trillion by 2030 according to McKinsey.

Bangladesh needs to dive into this now and gain the early mover advantage. We will eventually become less competitive in RMG as people's income rises. The earlier we can diversify and transition into a future proof market, the better.

Very exciting new industry currently being set up in BD.

I can see a future of Walton being the main player and being supplied by an eco-system of smaller companies in the design and sub-components/machines area.

The other thing is that as the Chinese will soon have their own independent eco-system of the whole semiconductor design and manufacturing process then BD will find it easier to source critical technology that it does not have from either the West or China.

I can see a future of Walton being the main player and being supplied by an eco-system of smaller companies in the design and sub-components/machines area.

The other thing is that as the Chinese will soon have their own independent eco-system of the whole semiconductor design and manufacturing process then BD will find it easier to source critical technology that it does not have from either the West or China.

I think China is at least a decade away from being “self sufficient” in Chip design.

Holland currently produces the key equipment and US has banned the Dutch from selling the latest tech.

Holland in turn is reliant on suppliers in USA, Germany, U.K. and Canada.

Can one country really be self sufficient is something so complex and expensive?

A recent documentary on BBC gave it a trillion dollar price tag.

At that price only US can afford it.

And only the US has the required research base.

As I said before, the Hi Tech park websites are anything but "Hi Tech". These guys need to seriously upgrade the site.

I think China is at least a decade away from being “self sufficient” in Chip design.

Holland currently produces the key equipment and US has banned the Dutch from selling the latest tech.

Holland in turn is reliant on suppliers in USA, Germany, U.K. and Canada.

Can one country really be self sufficient is something so complex and expensive?

A recent documentary on BBC gave it a trillion dollar price tag.

At that price only US can afford it.

And only the US has the required research base.

ASML in Holland produces Extreme Ultraviolet lithography machines, which the US will prevent the Chinese to get hands on. ASML has complete monopoly over this. But when it comes to DUV lithography machines, there are alternatives.

In any case, this is not our concern at this time since these are required for fabrication. Bangladeshi companies won't be in that space for at least next 15-20 years.

Huawei just submitted a patent for an EUV machine. It will take some time still to get it operational and perfect the tech. So China will still need some time to be completely independent. For now they have to rely on TSMC for the wafers since they can't buy the EUV machines from ASML.

As I said before, the Hi Tech park websites are anything but "Hi Tech". These guys need to seriously upgrade the site.

ASML in Holland produces Extreme Ultraviolet lithography machines, which the US will prevent the Chinese to get hands on. ASML has complete monopoly over this. But when it comes to DUV lithography machines, there are alternatives.

In any case, this is not our concern at this time since these are required for fabrication. Bangladeshi companies won't be in that space for at least next 15-20 years.

Actually China is making progress faster than thought.

Huawei has already sent a request for patent for it's own EUV technology. It will take some years before it is fabricating chips using this process but it shows the Chinese are able to bit by bit source all the technology of designing and manufacturing semiconductors all by themselves.

I think by 2030 China will have its own independent eco-system in competition to the West.

Back
Top Bottom