What's new

Self-propelled howitzer "MSTA-S" on trial in India

Hi
Any comparison between the MSTA S 155mm vs K9 thunder . It would be helpful.
Hope the better one is selected.

And Pakistan has American 203 mm self propelled howitzer , do we have plans for a 203 mm one?

Cheers
Thanks

Army need this gun urgent basis so K-9 is best option. Russian mean issue remain ToT price acceleration in mid way of deal and more importantly delay. look at Past every product goes all 3 problem which i given.
And by the way why not use dhanush on Arjun Chassis

Hi
Any comparison between the MSTA S 155mm vs K9 thunder . It would be helpful.
Hope the better one is selected.

And Pakistan has American 203 mm self propelled howitzer , do we have plans for a 203 mm one?

Cheers
Thanks
Those are WW2 era obsolete 203 mm gun
Current 155 mm 52 calibre artillery are standard which give constant & accurate fire hence more effective compared to 203 mm.

Go for k9. Russian products have unrealible supplies. Also it would enhance india S.Korea defence relation.
When did S Korea become a military power? there is nothing we can gain from this so called defense co-operations with Koreans.

When did S Korea become a military power? there is nothing we can gain from this so called defense co-operations with Koreans.
LOL
They have same capable military as India due to rogue neighbor like DPRK
They have robust defence industry which makes world class Tanks, IFV, Warships, Artillery etc.
Hyundai, Doosan, Samsung Techwin are their prime defence contractors.

LOL
They have same capable military as India due to rogue neighbor like DPRK
They have robust defence industry which makes world class Tanks, IFV, Warships, Artillery etc.
Hyundai, Doosan, Samsung Techwin are their prime defence contractors.
More than 20 thousand regular US army personals are stationed in south Korea from 1957 onwards, a country incapable of defend itself from neighboring enemy. And I never want defense co-operation with Koreans at the expense of Russia.

More than 20 thousand regular US army personals are stationed in south Korea from 1957 onwards, a country incapable of defend itself from neighboring enemy. And I never want defense co-operation with Koreans at the expense of Russia.
The systems and technologies the Koreans can offer are world class and they are reliable partners. Yes, closer ties with Korea shouldn't come at the cost of Russia but there is no indication this would happen anyway, India is very good at being friends with everyone.

Mate, i suggest you actually educate yourself on Korean defensive capabilities and technology. On many areas they surpassed both India and China. Beside they are actually quite reliable partners, we co-operated on developing our semi-indigenous Howitsers called T-155 Firtina. I have no doubt Korea will be a very good partner for India.

The systems and technologies the Koreans can offer are world class and they are reliable partners. Yes, closer ties with Korea shouldn't come at the cost of Russia but there is no indication this would happen anyway, India is very good at being friends with everyone.
They might have produced few guns by their own, designed a Jet trainer(which equals LCA in aero dynamical performance, I really doesn't know any thing about its avionics) and few ships, that's all. Clearly we are much ahead them in defense industry & related R& D.

Mate, i suggest you actually educate yourself on Korean defensive capabilities and technology. On many areas they surpassed both India and China. Beside they are actually quite reliable partners, we co-operated on developing our semi-indigenous Howitsers called T-155 Firtina. I have no doubt Korea will be a very good partner for India.
they surpassed china..... :suicide:

They might have produced few guns by their own, designed a Jet trainer(which equals LCA in aero dynamical performance, I really doesn't know any thing about its avionics) and few ships, that's all. Clearly we are much ahead them in defense industry & related R& D.

they surpassed china..... :suicide:

On many areas. Yes.

Btw from what i know they are about at 80-90% self sufficienty. They have an extremely good civilian sector to support their military industry.

With the right price, they might even develop a K-9 deritive much like ours, but for Indians needs. The deal Turkey got was it could export and change the T-155 "Firtina(Storm)" whenever they pleased. As a result it had about 80% Turkish contribution and technology. Such a deal would also benifit India on the long run imo. The fitting name for such system would be ofcourse I-155 "Āndhī" xD

Last edited:
US is present in RoK due to active backing of Russia & China to DPRK.
RoK only fear from DPRK due to their WW2 era thousand of Artillery pointed on Seol nether they can crush DPRK .
There is no emotion involved in international relations.

Ic1BRZX.jpg

hHxoecj.jpg

D41Vqpk.jpg

SAU 2S19M1-155 "MSTA-S" manufactured by JSC "SPC" Uralvagonzavod "was presented of" Rosoboronexport "in the last stage of the endless Indian Army tender for the selection of 155-mm / 52 self-propelled howitzer. The last goal of the Indian Army provide for direct purchase of 100 systems manufacturer, followed by licensed construction company ACS to 400 in India.

In the final stage of the tender only competitor 2S19M1-155 "MSTA-S" stood the South Korean 155mm Self-propelled howitzer K9 Thunder.

Are they offereing 2S35 "Koalitsiya-SV too?

On Topic- I think if India orders Msta S, it will be heavily customised.

Are they offereing 2S35 "Koalitsiya-SV too?

On Topic- I think if India orders Msta S, it will be heavily customised.

MSTA uses T-72's engine so we have less maintenance issues. However performance wise Korean looks better.

2S19 Msta - 152mm

Maximum firing range Base bleed: 29km (18 mi)
RAP: 36 km (22 mi)
Operational range -
500 km (311 mi)
Speed 60 km/h (37 mph)

K9 Thunder - 155mm

30,000 m (HE)
38,000 m (DP-ICM base bleed)
41,600 m (Extended range full-bore-base)
52-56,000 m (BB+RAP extended range)

Operational range -
480 km

Speed
67 km/h

Not only that, but having seen L&T manage infrastructure projects like skyscrapers, metros, airports, seaports, etc. even though some of them being very complex projects and were even new to the company, I wanna see them produce armored front line vehicles now. :D

1.) Test L&T competence as a lead integrator
2.) Stronger defence relations with S. Korea
3.) Already a good platform

L&T has proven their worth.

Arihant Class Nuclear submarines, Pinaka MBRL's, RBU-6000, fast interceptor boats are some of the defense projects.

Korean Thunder is the the competitor.

L&T want to produce it in India.

0et5.jpg

155mm/ 52 Cal Tracked Self Propelled (SP) Gun
The K9 VAJRA-T 155mm/ 52 Cal. Tracked Self-Propelled Howitzer meets the requirements of 21st century warfare, which is based on the following missions: Deep fire support with its longer firing range; qualitative superiority to overcome a numerical inferiority with its higher rate of fire and accuracy and effective and reliable fire support in all kinds of circumstances with its higher mobility and protection.

The K9 VAJRA-T is a variant of K9 Thunder which is inarguably the world's best 155mm/52 Cal.SPH in terms of number of systems in active service. Currently, K9 Thunder is serving as one of the main conventional deterrent forces for a number of armies including the Korean Army. K9 Thunder has established its superiority through demonstrations and evaluation tests at various proving grounds in extreme weather conditions, jungles, barren deserts and severely cold areas. By demonstrating its ability to handle Indian as well as all NATO standard ammunitions, K9 VAJRA-T has proven its excellent conformability to any field artillery unit.

155mm/ 52 Cal Towed Gun System TRAJAN®
The 155 mm / 52 calibre Towed Gun System jointly developed by L&T and Nexter Systems, France for the Indian MoD is under User Evaluation by the Indian Army. L&T is responsible for development of the mobility system of the Gun, whereas Nexter provides the Ordnance System.

Our partnership is based on delivering value and effective solutions to the Indian Army. Apart from providing a proven Artillery Gun System, this consortium will open up new avenues in Indian and Global defence markets for both partners.

Hi
A member here posted that the Msta S on tests is a 152mm/52 caliber but Indian Army is looking for a 155mm/52 caliber one. I also read that the Msta S has a new export variant with many improvements and a 155mm gun, please clear my confusion, which one is being tested?
Cheers
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom