What's new

Scientists watch glowing molecules form memories in real time.

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Scientists watch glowing molecules form memories in real time
19duhuv28busajpg.jpg

For the first time ever, neuroscientists have observed memory-forming molecules travel around the brain of a living animal. The unprecedented breakthrough is shedding light on how nerve cells make memories.

Prior to being able to recall — or more accurately, reconstruct — a memory, it has to be encoded and stored in the brain. It'sa complicated and dynamic processinvolving changes to molecular structures which alter synaptic transmissionsbetween neurons. But watching this process in action is easier said than done.

Fluorescent Green Glow
Indeed, neurons are incredibly sensitive to any kind of disruption, so observing them as they go about their memory-making work in living brain cells is no easy task. To overcome this, and to peer deep into neurons without harming them, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University developed a mouse model in which they fluorescently tagged all molecules of messenger RNA (mRNA) that code for beta-actin protein (proteins involved in cell structure and integrity).

mRNA describes a large family of RNA molecules that transmit genetic information from DNA to the ribosome. They specify the amino acid sequence of the protein products of gene expression. The researchers describe mRNA as a "key player" in the process of memory formation.

Click on the link to view the video of the process in action:
Scientists watch glowing molecules form memories in real time

Masking and unmasking:

To make this incredible video, the researchers stimulated neurons in the hippocampus of mice — the place where memories are made and stored. They watched fluorescently glowing beta-actin mRNA molecules form in the nuclei of neurons and travel within dendrites, the neuron's branched projections.

As they watched this, the scientists realized that mRNA in neurons have developed an ingenious and never-before-seen strategy for controlling how memory-forming proteins do their job. It's a novel process they describe as "masking" and "unmasking" — a process allowing beta-actin protein to be synthesized at specific times and places and in specific amounts.

"This observation that neurons selectively activate protein synthesis and then shut it off fits perfectly with how we think memories are made," noted lead researcher Robert Singer in a statement. "Frequent stimulation of the neuron would make mRNA available in frequent, controlled bursts, causing beta-actin protein to accumulate precisely where it's needed to strengthen the synapse."

"It's noteworthy that we were able to develop this mouse without having to use an artificial gene or other interventions that might have disrupted neurons and called our findings into question," said Singer.

Read the entire study at Science: "Visualization of Dynamics of Single Endogenous mRNA Labeled in Live Mouse."

Image credit: Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Did you watch the video in the link???
The tiny molecules moving around in our brain....:)
Some how I could not post the video directly :(
so I gave the link to it.
Lady,... the video is made on Mice brain specifically Hippo-campus of mice.. not ours.....anyway hope your brain works the same as shown in video...:lol::lol::lol:

BLUNDERRR-THUNDERRR.:)
Corrected.
our as in inside the head of a living being :)
ok...not a biggy...
anyway.., why don't you change your avatar...a girl in form of snake...make me remember SriDevi from movie Nagin..or Anglena Jolie...from movie Alexander...playing with all those snakes...:D:D:D

Did you watch the video in the link???
The tiny molecules moving around in our brain....:)
Some how I could not post the video directly :(
so I gave the link to it.

It's a bit creepy. Much of the technicality was actually lost on me, but I remember reading about another study that dealt with how intoxication affects memory had also pointed out that they interfered with firing the synaptical links between neurons.

It's a bit creepy. Much of the technicality was actually lost on me, but I remember reading about another study that dealt with how intoxication affects memory had also pointed out that they interfered with firing the synaptical links between neurons.
Lol
do you mean memory blackout???
You are right the cells in hippocampus region of the brain which help in forming memories when intoxicated loose their ability to connect and communicate.
So you knew about it..bham bham bhole.ahem ahem.:devil:
ok...not a biggy...
anyway.., why don't you change your avatar...a girl in form of snake...make me remember SriDevi from movie Nagin..or Anglena Jolie...from movie Alexander...playing with all those snakes...
okay I'll change it as soon as I find something better.But earlier my profile pic used to be scorpio. :lol:

Lol
You are right the cells in hippocampus region of the brain which help in forming memories when intoxicated loose their ability to connect and communicate.
So you knew about it..bham bham bhole.ahem ahem.:devil:

okay I'll change it as soon as I find something better.But earlier my profile pic used to be scorpio. :lol:

I like to understand the nature and extent of risks and punishment that I subject my body to. :laugh:

Lady,... the video is made on Mice brain specifically Hippo-campus of mice.. not ours.....anyway hope your brain works the same as shown in video...:lol::lol::lol:

she meant our indian brain

okay I'll change it as soon as I find something better.But earlier my profile pic used to be scorpio.
Lol I have seen your glowing scorpion...I like snake and crocs more than scorpio but .....a girl in snake ..kinda freaks me out..:D:D

Lol
obviously ...Intoxicants blocks the neural passage and in same way each our neurons dendrills store a bit of information and due to the clogs the whole info is unable to get processed and hence a human feel lost..:D:tup:

from when your brain become Indian ...any way welcome to Indian Brain club..:lol::lol::pakistan:

Here we go around the mulberry bush8-)

Most of the medicines are tested on animals before being licensed isnt it??
And animals including mice, rats, fish, chickens, rabbits, dogs and primates are used across the World for this purpose each year....assuming those will have the effect on human beings.
So I accept I did make a mistake but I would like to believe that I wasn't very wrong.8-)

Lol I have seen your glowing scorpion...I like snake and crocs more than scorpio but .....a girl in snake ..kinda freaks me out..:D:D

Somehow I have never been able to use a DP for more than a week or so.
:(
Let me find something which can remain my DP for longer.

from when your brain become Indian ...any way welcome to Indian Brain club..:lol::lol::pakistan:

indian girl like kali?

and no i was said she meant not mine

Somehow I have never been able to use a DP for more than a week or so.
:(
Let me find something which can remain my DP for longer.
what is DP lady...:what:

indian girl like kali?

and no i was said she meant not mine
WTF you mean by that....
if you don't know how to talk then don't quote ...:sick:
and keep your BS to yourself, nobody is interested in replying you...

Back
Top Bottom