Pakistan
‘Saudi pressure’ forced Zardari to sack IIUI rector
By Azam Khan
Published: November 16, 2015
133SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
992217-homepic-1447627448-111-640x480.JPG

Kingdom officials said the university had ‘lost its way’. PHOTO: IIU.EDU.PK

ISLAMABAD: Former president Asif Ali Zardari had sacked the rector of the International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) in 2012 under pressure from Saudi Arabia, according to a leaked cable of the Saudi Embassy.

A telegram sent to the then Saudi foreign minister confirms that Zardari told the Saudi ambassador in Islamabad during a meeting that Quaid-e-Azam University Vice-Chancellor Dr Masoom Yasinzai was appointed as acting rector in place of Dr Fateh Muhammad Malik.

IIUI promoting extremist doctrines, says intelligence agency

Saudi officials had complained to the former president that the university was not being run according to the principles for which it was established during General Ziaul Haq’s regime, and rather ‘enlightened moderation’ was being promoted at the university, which is run mostly on funds received from the oil-rich kingdom and other Arab countries.

The university was established with the prime objective of imparting Sharia during the Soviet-Afghan war in the 1980s.

The major reason behind the Saudi annoyance and Dr Malik’s subsequent removal was stated to be a seminar organised at the university on ‘Extremism of Prisoners’, in which the then rector was somewhat critical of the kingdom’s policies and political discourse. Malik had labelled Saudi society as ‘uncivilised’ and ‘anti-women’.

IIUI mosque controversy: Court directs officials to diversify sermons

According to the former rector, Zardari had first asked him to stay on but later said it had become difficult for him to sustain Saudi pressure. However, Dr Malik said that many things in the leaked cable were factually incorrect, as ‘some people’ had played a negative role and created confusion that led to his dismissal.

He said he had presented a paper at a conference and his findings were based on his research. “The seminar was organised on the Arab Spring, and as the chair at the event I read a paper on Allama Iqbal. I tried to establish how Iqbal’s poetry played a role in that revolution.”

As per the cable, Saudi officials said the sacked rector had dubbed Saudi society as followers of Abu Lahab, Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) paternal uncle who was openly opposed to Islam. They claimed that Malik had said God’s name could not be kept alive in an authoritarian society. “He also criticised the Saudi police for not taking action on crimes against women and said they are buried alive in the kingdom,” stated the cable.

Mosque controversy: Students file plea in court against IIUI management

Recounting one of his meetings with the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) co-chairman, the former rector said Zardari first told him that he would stay on as the rector as long as the PPP remained in power. Malik said: “He also extended my tenure, noting down on my file – until further orders.”

But once the then Saudi foreign minister approached Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Zardari discussed the issue with the IIUI rector and asked him to pick any other institution, citing ‘sensitivity’ of the matter. “First I was sent on an indefinite leave, and later I was sacked,” recalled Dr Malik, who is working on a book these days.

When contacted, Zardari’s spokesman Senator Farhatullah Babar said, “He [Zardari] really doesn’t know about the background of Professor Malik’s removal.”

“The one thing he knows is that during last days of his tenure, ex-rector of IIUI went on indefinite leave,” he added.
‘Saudi pressure’ forced Zardari to sack IIUI rector - The Express Tribune

The purpose of medical and engineering universities is to promote medical and engineering education respectively. Like that, the purpose of IIUI is to promote true Islamic education according to the teachings of Qur'an and Sunnah. If someone tries to take the university towards wrong side then it is important to correct the situation.

The purpose of medical and engineering universities is to promote medical and engineering education respectively. Like that, the purpose of IIUI is to promote true Islamic education according to the teachings of Qur'an and Sunnah. If someone tries to take the university towards wrong side then it is important to correct the situation.
So who decides which is the wrong side and which is the right side?

Saudi Arabia that funds or Pakistanis who teach and study there?

You mean, Saudi version of Islam is the real one?? Visit Saudi Arab someday you will find what are those thugs are up to. They treat Pakistanis like dogs. Stop following thugs love your own culture and traditions.

You mean, Saudi version of Islam is the real one?? Visit Saudi Arab someday you will find what are those thugs are up to. They treat Pakistanis like dogs. Stop following thugs love your own culture and traditions.
This thread is about IIUI, not about Saudis treatment of Pakistanis. As far as Saudi version of Islam is concerned then according to my feelings it is according to the teachings of Holy Qur'an and Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). If you don't like this version then follow whatever you like. There is no compulsion in Islam and Allah will take the final decision on the day of judgement.

As far as Saudi version of Islam is concerned then according to my feelings it is according to the teachings of Holy Qur'an and Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). If you don't like this version then follow whatever you like. There is no compulsion in Islam and Allah will take the final decision on the day of judgement.
Disliking Saudis doesn't mean i am ...., Let me tell you i am a MA Sunni Muslim. And now listen
All the chaos in middle-east is only because of Saudi hypocrisy, Palestine is unsolved issue only because Saudis are best friends of Zionists ..Terrorism in Pakistan is because of Saudi funding. They are murderers of million innocent people and you are following their version of Islam. And after knowing all this if you still worship Saudis then i cant help you. (There is no compulsion in Islam and Allah will take the final decision on the day of judgement)

Disliking Saudis doesn't mean i am ...., Let me tell you i am a MA Sunni Muslim. And now listen
All the chaos in middle-east is only because of Saudi hypocrisy, Palestine is unsolved issue only because Saudis are best friends of Zionists ..Terrorism in Pakistan is because of Saudi funding. They are murderers of million innocent people and you are following their version of Islam. And after knowing all this if you still worship Saudis then i cant help you. (There is no compulsion in Islam and Allah will take the final decision on the day of judgement)
I only worship Allah (the creator and lord of the whole universe) and only follow Qur'an and Sunnah. Remember Qur'an is not Saudis' book, it is book of Allah. The biggest problem for people like us is that we don't want to understand Qur'an because it is book of reward (sawab) for us. Just understand and take guidance from Qur'an (for which it was revealed) and don't bother about Saudi or any other version of Islam. We will talk some other day about Saudis friendship of Zionism.

I only worship Allah (the creator and lord of the whole universe) and only follow Qur'an and Sunnah. Remember Qur'an is not Saudis' book, it is book of Allah. The biggest problem for people like us is that we don't want to understand Qur'an because it is book of reward (sawab) for us. Just understand and take guidance from Qur'an (for which it was revealed)
I second you, we are on same page upto this part..:tup:

The corrupt and criminal Saudi Wahabi regime currently ruling Arabia has gone beserk. They are going to make Arabia look like Syria and Iraq in the future. Pakistan must prepare then its army to protect Makkah and Madina from any future civil war in Arabia.

Back
Top Bottom