What's new

Saudi Arabia to hold first-ever official film festival

mujahideen

Reaction score

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia, despite not having any cinemas, will hold its first-ever government-approved film festival on May 20, a local newspaper announced Tuesday.

The five-day festival will screen Arabic films from the region and is being organized by the state-sponsored literary club in the eastern city of Dammam and the Saudi Society of Arts and Culture.

Saudi Arabia banned the screening of movies in the early 1980s and the country's conservative clergy views them as a waste of time and a sign of impiety.

The competition is meant to boost the local film industry, which is practically nonexistent, and will award a prize for best short narrative and documentary as well as select the best screenplay and raise funds for it to be turned into a film.

Recent Saudi initiatives are limited to a 2006 social comedy called ``Keif Al-Hal'' produced by Saudi's first female director Haifa al-Mansur and filmed in Dubai and a 2006 documentary titled ``Cinema 500 km'' about a young Saudi movie fan who crosses borders just to see a film in a cinema for the first time.

Last October, two Saudi hotels in Riyadh and Jeddah screened a number of American animated and family movies in celebration of the three-day holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The event was harshly criticized in online forums by hardline Saudi clerics who blamed the country's Ministry of Culture and Information for failing to stop it from happening.

In May's festival, men and women will be seated in different halls during the screenings, according to organizers. Under Saudi law, men and women are not allowed to mingle in public unless they are relatives.

I think tha pakistan should push for its film industry. however, it shouldn't be modeled after indian movies, where there is a girl who **** a boy and dance in nightclubs.:lol:
anything to get young hormonely stressed males off of bollywood movies! i'm young, but I like to stay away from these things. I visited pakistan this summer and I was dissappointed with the vast amount of boys who think their lives are bollywood movies.
I was going to smash someone's head to the floor for looking at my sister and aunt the wrong way.:angry:

I think tha pakistan should push for its film industry. however, it shouldn't be modeled after indian movies, where there is a girl who **** a boy and dance in nightclubs.:lol:
anything to get young hormonely stressed males off of bollywood movies! i'm young, but I like to stay away from these things. I visited pakistan this summer and I was dissappointed with the vast amount of boys who think their lives are bollywood movies.
I was going to smash someone's head to the floor for looking at my sister and aunt the wrong way.:angry:

I like what you say. We must promote our culture, our values, our traditions, our religion and most of all promote the soft image of Pakistan.

Finally, some positive news from Saudi Arabia. I hope they start allowing more films to be made.

Chill out. They're just frustrated horny young boys.

They're just frustrated horny young boys.

Well I am not sure if I agree with you but then again I do. They are horny but atleast they are straight. At leeast they dont turn out to be gay like some other countries where everything is open but we still get gay people.

well, im in america right now and i can't do anything to those frustrated horny boys, but seriously, when asaad daada comes back...

asaad said:
well, im in america right now and i can't do anything to those frustrated horny boys, but seriously, when asaad daada comes back...
But what are your thoughts on honry boys in America who take a lot of pleasure in looking at your sister or aunt in the wrong way? Or boys and girls who shagg each other after late night partying in night clubs?

Do you as a pious Muslim feel comfortable being in such an environment?

Well I am not sure if I agree with you but then again I do. They are horny but atleast they are straight. At leeast they dont turn out to be gay like some other countries where everything is open but we still get gay people.

Many, many, many people in Pakistan indulge in homosexual activities.

I would love to see more movies from Pakistan like Khuda ke liye!!! A experience with everything what a good movie should contain, good actors, good music, nice story line and in the end a morality which forces you to think!!!

Anyways it is a good step for Saudi-Arabia, first they open up a university with co-operation with Harvard and now this! seems like they dont want to get behind other oil-rich arab countries.

Many, many, many people in Pakistan indulge in homosexual activities.

Well I was referring to Saudia Arabia, I guess I should of cleared it up. But since you brought up Pakistan, I would just like to say the numbers aren't alarming as in some other countries. I mean I think the number of homosexuals must be in the thousands at most. And one thing I can say for sure is only those who have been exposed to Western culture are like that. The reason being our culture is not like that. From the day we are born and I mean Muslims we are told that we will marry a girl. Pakistan I think just might have more homosexuals then most conseravative Muslims countries the reason being we are a more open society and the other reason is that in Islam the punishment for a homosexual is that they be stoned to death. Note that I am not talking about the bisexuals in Pakistan because I dont know what category they fall under.

But what are your thoughts on honry boys in America who take a lot of pleasure in looking at your sister or aunt in the wrong way? Or boys and girls who shagg each other after late night partying in night clubs?
Do you as a pious Muslim feel comfortable being in such an environment?
you didn't seriously think that i meant that stuff, did you? such stuff happens here, but fortunately, my sister doesn't get those "looks" from boys here. by the way, are you from pakistan?

In any society, between 1-10% of the population is gay. Now either you should accept them, or openly punish them. Sweeping them under the carpet is not helping anyone. It simply increases social problems and diseases like AIDS.

What do you have against homosexuals anyways. I have known a couple of them, and they tend to live up to their stereotypes.

In any society, between 1-10% of the population is gay. Now either you should accept them, or openly punish them. Sweeping them under the carpet is not helping anyone. It simply increases social problems and diseases like AIDS.QUOTE]

You said in any society we have 1-10% gay. Now I am not sure if I agree, but then again I haven't read any hard facts on your claim. Now in Pakistan we most certainly do have gay people but their population is nothing to be scared its probably in the thousands and probably doesn't even account for a percentage out of the whole population. Now I agree as much as I try to deny it their are gay people in Pakistan and in fact probably every country.

Well I was referring to Saudia Arabia, I guess I should of cleared it up. But since you brought up Pakistan, I would just like to say the numbers aren't alarming as in some other countries. I mean I think the number of homosexuals must be in the thousands at most. And one thing I can say for sure is only those who have been exposed to Western culture are like that. The reason being our culture is not like that. From the day we are born and I mean Muslims we are told that we will marry a girl. Pakistan I think just might have more homosexuals then most conseravative Muslims countries the reason being we are a more open society and the other reason is that in Islam the punishment for a homosexual is that they be stoned to death. Note that I am not talking about the bisexuals in Pakistan because I dont know what category they fall under.

You must be kidding. It's usually people in NWFP and Karachi and Lahore's lower class that simply have sex with their own gender due to the impossibility or high risk of having sex with the opposite gender.

You must be kidding. It's usually people in NWFP and Karachi and Lahore's lower class that simply have sex with their own gender due to the impossibility or high risk of having sex with the opposite gender.

Solid snake let me make the recored straight for you.

1. having sex with own gender is not all due to lack of any chance for having sex with the opposite gender.

2. Nor it is prevailnt only among the lower class.

beacuse

There are sufficient communities of women sex-wrokers in big cities like Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi and Peshawar.
The fees or rates of these sex workers vary and both from rich to poor class men do visit them.

Even in my city Peshawar here you can find very handsome and attractive women specially of Afghan presian speaking tall very handsome women available for sex at as much lower fee as few hunderd Rupees.

So the availbility of women and money is no problem.

And i tell you i was collecting data on the practice among the men and during that i even come across names of people working at high posts.

Why people go for such homosexualities well no one claim what exactly is the reason but i think its something the people involved in can explain best.

But i can tell you with conviction that only some men from NWFP do that and 99% of them are those who are long-route drivers and they had to travel for many days and nights to Karachi and most far-flung areas of the country.
Hence being away from their wives they mostly do sex with their cleaners who are most of the time young boys.

Back
Top Bottom