kalu_miah

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
October 25th, 2013
11:09 AM ET

Saudi Arabia, Qatar may be playing dangerous game over Syria rebels
By David Andrew Weinberg, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: David Andrew Weinberg is a Senior Fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies. The views expressed are the writer’s own.

Saudi Arabia and Qatar have been working overtime arming rebel groups in Syria. But events of the last month suggest these American allies have been throwing their lots in with radical, hardline Islamists.

Some observers are bullishly optimistic about the foreign policies of America’s Gulf allies, suggesting Saudi Arabia backs “the least Islamist component of the rebellion” and Qatar’s young new emir is displaying a more “mature” foreign policy that seeks to avoid controversy in places like Syria. However, there is worrying news coming from Syria’s Raqqa Province, now controlled by the al Qaeda affiliate Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Hateful books described by several different sources as the area’s new academic curriculum,reportedly originate from Saudi Arabia.

Ali al-Ahmed, who directs the Institute for Gulf Affairs in Washington, has conducted previous reviews of official Saudi textbooks. He told me that although the seal from Saudi Arabia’s education ministry has been removed from the books, they otherwise appear identical to the ones he has reviewed. Al-Ahmed said that the two collections being brandished in Raqqa are “toxic,” promoting extremism and the dehumanization of non-Muslims.

But this isn’t the only development that appears to shed light on Saudi and Qatari objectives in Syria.

ISIL has gone on the offensive against certain Syrian rebel groups that are frequently linked to Qatar’s largesse, including Ahfad al-Rasoul and the Farouq Brigades. However, another recipient of Qatar’s support – arguably the strongest militia around Syria’s largest city, Aleppo – appears to prefer to negotiate with ISIL instead of helping other rebels fight it

Perhaps more worrying is what this Qatari-backed group did next. On September 24, one of its leaders in Aleppo issued a declaration with a handful of other militias that called for an Islamic state and rejected the Western-backed Syrian opposition coalition. Its number one signatory was the Nusra Front, al Qaeda’s other main affiliate in Syria. Roughly half the groups that joined in this announcement were Islamist brigades that have reportedly received backing from either Saudi Arabia or Qatar.

A week later, the head of another Islamist group announced the merger ofdozens of rebel organizations around Damascus into a massive “Army of Islam.” Both diplomats and rebel fighters indicated that this merger occurred at the conscious direction of Riyadh. The organization’s leader, Zahran Alloush, studied in Saudi Arabia, where his father is a Salafist cleric.

The merger in Damascus contradicts claims that the Kingdom supports only “quietist” Salafis who reject political Islam, since Alloush’s brigade calls for an Islamic state and flies the black jihadist flag instead of a Syrian one. He has insisted this Damascus merger will not push back against ISIL and has openlyadvocated ethnic cleansing.

Saudi Arabia has suffered blowback for supporting jihadist groups before, most notably when al Qaeda went on a rampage in the Kingdom a decade ago. However, Saudi Arabia and Qatar have other incentives that push them toward promoting Syrian jihadists or at least turning a blind eye.

Riyadh has long promoted the strident, Salafist ideology of Wahhabi Islam at home and abroad (indeed, the textbooks in question are tagged “distributed free of charge”). Since the Arab Spring, Saudi Arabia has aggressively fanned sectarian hatreds to keep its own disaffected Sunnis and Shiites from joining forces to demand greater rights.

Qatar, noted for its “hyperactive” foreign policy, is so eager to acquire clients in the region that it has shown little concern for these groups’ intensely Islamist principles. Qatar reportedly tried to give the Muslim Brotherhood a stranglehold over Syria’s political opposition and was chastised by the U.S. for letting advanced weapons reach the Nusra Front.

Under pressure this past May, Qatar let Saudi Arabia take charge of the opposition cause in Syria. However, now that Saudi Arabia finds itself in a position of leadership over the rebellion, it also has incentives to encourage a broad military coalition against the al-Assad regime. Evidently, the Saudis have been giving in to that temptation, building a very large but also very jihadist tent among the rebels.

But at what cost? Before the war, Salafists in Syria were not indigenously grounded. Since then, they have opportunistically used this conflict to expand their influence, tapping into material support and sectarian rhetoric from the Gulf.

Some outside observers believe hardliners like Alloush are now the only game in town amongst Syria’s armed opposition. However, the continued expansion of such hardline rebel groups means that enticing Western support for the opposition is going to get much tougher as time goes on.

Yet these developments may be a sign that Saudi Arabia and the rebels are writing off the chances of U.S. military intervention altogether. Washington’s recent decision not to launch missile strikes on Syria infuriated the Saudis, and our exclusive focus on chemical weapons has given the Assad regime a new lease on life.

America’s Gulf allies want al-Assad out, and they want it now. Combined with Qatar and Saudi Arabia’s natural ideological predispositions, this intense desire to win Syria’s civil war seems to be overpowering any possible instincts for caution from the Gulf. Riyadh and Doha are feeding an unruly jihadist problem in Syria that will no doubt create all kinds of headaches for America and the region down the line.

http://www.defenddemocracy.org/about-fdd/team-overview/david-weinberg/

Our Team

Saudi Arabia

David Andrew Weinberg is a Senior Fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, where he works primarily on Saudi Arabia and Gulf affairs. His research in this area focuses on energy security, counterterrorism, alliance transparency, and human rights.

Dr. Weinberg previously served as a Democratic Professional Staff Member at the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, where he advised the chairman on Middle Eastern politics and U.S. policy toward the region. He also provided research support to staff at the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom and the State Department’s Policy Planning Staff during the George W. Bush administration.

Dr. Weinberg holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and was affiliated for five years with the Institute’s Security Studies Program. His doctoral dissertation was recognized for excellence in U.S. diplomatic history and is the subject of a forthcoming book entitled Meddling for Peace. The book provides a behind-the-scenes history of how American presidents and secretaries of state have repeatedly intervened in internal Israeli and Palestinian leadership contests such as elections.

Before coming to the Foundation, Dr. Weinberg was a Visiting Fellow at UCLA’s Center for Middle East Development. He speaks advanced Arabic and also has language skills in Hebrew and Turkish.

FSA/SNC and this moderate group barely exists in Syria anymore, the world will not accept these jihadists, they won’t be left in power, so little gain for these 2.

Looks like Israel and Jewish lobby are worried that extremism will run wild in Syria and surrounding region. Tough luck. Since Obama pulled the plug and backed out, I think Saudi Arabia and Qatar are perfectly justified to deploy any means possible to defeat Assad, including looking the other way on extremists. I personally support this as they have been left with no choice. Obama and his friend the Jewish lobby and Israel must reap what they have sown. Lets not hear any whining and crying foul. After they finish off Assad, if they come after Western or Jewish interest, yes then of course the drones will be used to kill them and everyone including myself will support it, but till then lets give KSA and Qatar some break and allow them a free hand to wage a war the way they see fit. Lets not bitch about it now.

It is never good to stick your nose into others business. You will get a bloody nose.

Looks like Israel and Jewish lobby are worried that extremism will run wild in Syria and surrounding region. Tough luck. Since Obama pulled the plug and backed out, I think Saudi Arabia and Qatar are perfectly justified to deploy any means possible to defeat Assad, including looking the other way on extremists. I personally support this as they have been left with no choice. Obama and his friend the Jewish lobby and Israel must reap what they have sown. Lets not hear any whining and crying foul. After they finish off Assad, if they come after Western or Jewish interest, yes then of course the drones will be used to kill them and everyone including myself will support it, but till then lets give KSA and Qatar some break and allow them a free hand to wage a war the way they see fit. Lets not bitch about it now.

The surrounding region is also worried about the extremism, Jordan and Turkey will not accept arming the extremists since they border the country which you just suggested to be justified. Turkey has already been attacked by a suicide bomb, Jordan might get that anytime to wake them up.
Now your speaking about being on the side of terrorists yet whine when the Shia militias are in Syria.

Syria being ruined because of this ^^

Al Qaeda hijacked this "revolution" like they do with all other unstable countries, now FSA is a joke, not going to win anything, it’s either SAA or the opposition which is mainly ruled by jihadists anti everyone.

FSA/SNC and this moderate group barely exists in Syria anymore, the world will not accept these jihadists, they won’t be left in power, so little gain for these 2.

Its obvious that FSA/SNC is finished, it is only "jihadists" who are calling the shots now and they are getting united at least under two umbrella's Al Nusra (mainly Syrian) and ISIS (foreign led). And who cares about the world, who looked the other way when 120,000 people were killed? "The world" has no right to complain. And who are you to complain? We all know what majority Iraqi's have been up to.

The surrounding region is also worried about the extremism, Jordan and Turkey will not accept arming the extremists since they border the country which you just suggested to be justified. Turkey has already been attacked by a suicide bomb, Jordan might get that anytime to wake them up.
Now your speaking about being on the side of terrorists yet whine when the Shia militias are in Syria.

Syria being ruined because of this ^^

Al Qaeda hijacked this "revolution" like they do with all other unstable countries, now FSA is a joke, not going to win anything, it’s either SAA or the opposition which is mainly ruled by jihadists anti everyone.

Jordan and Turkey are on the same side with KSA and Qatar, and are playing direct role in what is happening. Of course FSA is a joke, now it is "Jihadist" vs Assad. And I personally will wholeheartedly support these "Jihadists" to unite, cooperate and finish off Assad. Once Assad is finished, then I am sure there would be ways to deal with the "Jihadists" then.

Its obvious that FSA/SNC is finished, it is only "jihadists" who are calling the shots now and they are getting united at least under two umbrella's Al Nusra (mainly Syrian) and ISIS (foreign led). And who cares about the world, who looked the other way when 120,000 people were killed? "The world" has no right to complain. And who are you to complain? We all know what majority Iraqi's have been up to.

I agree with you then.

But these jihadists view everyone as their enemy, every surrounding regime is their enemy and they are dedicated, non corrupt like FSA defectors with a weak ideology in this matter.
So Turkey and Jordan won’t be safe from them, you can have all the protection best militaries but they slip in and they have their ways to do so, Qatar might not care, Saudi Arabia might neither since they would not border them.

Now you suggest supporting these extremists to finish Assad, though they can’t because there are others flowing in to counter that. If your going to take direct action then good luck with that though I doubt they will do it without US leading such an operation.

Once Assad is finished, then I am sure there would be ways to deal with the "Jihadists" then.

In the mean time when the world is thinking about how to deal with the Jihadists, Turkey and Jordan will have more car bomb explosions and civillians killed, Lebanon as well, Iraq for sure..

So the latter will send many fighters and attack them with militias like ( Liwa abu abbas brigades willl grow and attract a lot of people), Turkey will not accept it anymore, their military generals will press Erdogan. Jordan will not accept it.
They can’t afford it, and such attacks would happen, the jihadists are not near the Jordanian border though, currently they are in Northern Syria and near Iraq, if they get near Jordan what reason is there for them not to pull a bomb in Amman ?

After all, destabilization is their best friend.

Last edited:
Jordan and Turkey are on the same side with KSA and Qatar, and are playing direct role in what is happening. Of course FSA is a joke, now it is "Jihadist" vs Assad. And I personally will wholeheartedly support these "Jihadists" to unite, cooperate and finish off Assad. Once Assad is finished, then I am sure there would be ways to deal with the "Jihadists" then.

It will be Iraq, but much worse. Libya sounds like heaven compared to Syria when Assad falls. Absence of central Govt will make Syria a living hell and it wont stand up back on its feet for a long long time. Assad's Govt is brutal but dismantling a functioning govt into the hands of Jihadists is the worst thing possible. See what happened to Iraq when their security infrastructure was dismantled. Everyday bombings killing an average of 100 people. People blown up at funerals, coffee shops, football matches. No respite. Now they have a sectarian aspect but it's still the same thing. Al Qaeda vs Shiite Militias.

Syria was fucked the moment Jihadist started joining the cause, which has nothing to do with Islam, rather greed for Power and is a proxy war for KSA and Iran.
I hope Allah helps the Syrian population because nothing seems to be working.

What is worrying is in a few years all the neighboring countries are going to face the menace of religious extremism. Jordan, Turkey, Qatar. These AQ nutbags see noone as their friend. As long as you have a place to send them with weapons these types are always waging their "Jihad". Once that is done they return to destabilization process which includes bombings, assasinations, open killings, propaganda videos.

What happened in Kenya was just an example, killing of innocent children and families openly in the mall. Have you seen the pictures yet? If not I'd say you should, little babies, girls, boys shot in cold blood.

The problem with this ideology is its bound in religion and seeing everyone not following them as permissible to be killed. You cant stop them with an army, what you need is intelligence and a populace that is aware of their real motives. Sadly in the case of Pakistan we have educated folks who support AQ openly not realising what it has done to our country.

Last edited:
http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/turkey/251020131
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/25/us-turkey-iraq-idUSBRE99O0HX20131025

Turkey is mending ties with Iraq, so they can fight the Jihadists together if needed, after Assad's fall. But for now, they will help Jihadists, just like Jordan, KSA and Qatar, to bring Assad down.

Do you really think that is enough to stop them ? You know just as well as I know that it’s not enough.

Jordan has not yet met a terrorist attack due to the jihadists being far away from their border unlike Turkey which did once a few months ago.

As I explained above, they cannot allow a growth of jihadists taking more of Syria, Their interests of national security are far higher then what they seek in Syria. Qatar & Saudi Arabia will have different opinions but they aren’t the ones bordering Syria.

It will be Iraq, but much worse. Libya sounds like heaven compared to Syria when Assad falls. Absence of central Govt will make Syria a living hell and it wont stand up back on its feet for a long long time. Assad's Govt is brutal but dismantling a functioning govt into the hands of Jihadists is the worst thing possible. See what happened to Iraq when their security infrastructure was dismantled. Everyday bombings killing an average of 100 people. People blown up at funerals, coffee shops, football matches. No respite. Now they have a sectarian aspect but it's still the same thing. Al Qaeda vs Shiite Militias.

Syria was fucked the moment Jihadist started joining the cause, which has nothing to do with Islam, rather greed for Power and is a proxy war for KSA and Iran.
I hope Allah helps the Syrian population because nothing seems to be working.

Why blame Jihadists, its the whole world that did nothing while 120,000 people got killed and Obama of all people cheered on Syrian unarmed protesters and declared that "Assad must go". At least the Jihadists are doing the honorable thing, trying to remove a regime that is killing its own people. When Assad falls, the Jihadist ruled hell will be better than what we have today under Assad. And just in case, if the Jihadists start spreading "terror", the US is just waiting to pounce on them. So all around, I see no problem with what is happening. Assad deserves the "jihadists".

Last edited:
Why blame Jihadists, its the whole world that did nothing while 120,000 people got killed and Obama for all people cheered on Syrian unarmed protesters and declared that "Assad must go". At least the Jihadists are doing the honorable thing, trying to remove a regime that is killing its own people. When Assad falls, the Jihadist ruled hell will be better than what we have today under Assad. And just in case, if the Jihadists start spreading "terror", the US is just waiting to pounce on them. So all around, I see no problem with what is happening. Assad deserves the "jihadists".

If jihadists win and rule the majority of the country, there is no other side to replace them, they will have brainwashed and taught the population the jihadist ideology already which they are doing succesfully.

So you can bomb them 24/7 but there won’t be a large group inside Syria on your side, Alawites would be massacred, good luck finding "secular Sunnis".

Want examples ?
Take a look at how much effort it took the US to clear Fallujah from jihadist rule, and that’s just 1 city.. now imagine most of Syria.

( your post wasn’t for me though answered anyway ).

Do you really think that is enough to stop them ? You know just as well as I know that it’s not enough.

Jordan has not yet met a terrorist attack due to the jihadists being far away from their border unlike Turkey which did once a few months ago.

As I explained above, they cannot allow a growth of jihadists taking more of Syria, Their interests of national security are far higher then what they seek in Syria. Qatar & Saudi Arabia will have different opinions but they aren’t the ones bordering Syria.

You forget that their interest of national security will not go anywhere if Assad stays put and the war drags on for years. It is better to let one side win and end the blood letting. I think they have no choice but to accept the grim reality, may be KSA and Qatar can give them economic incentives so they are more motivated to take this risk and tolerate the Jihadists till Assad is down. There are not too many good options left for them.

Back
Top Bottom