302xwg9.jpg

Farasan3-1
by Hassan Mashi " netsmart11 ", on Flickr

by Riyad Sohail ^. .^ رياض سهيل, on Flickr

من تراث جزر فرسان
by owyed alowyed, on Flickr

من رجال جزر فرسان
by owyed alowyed, on Flickr

Tarout Island with a history spanning 7000 years. If I remember correctly it is the third biggest island in the Gulf.

Tarout Island
by waltherhetzer1, on Flickr

غابة المانجروف
by Tayseer Alabyadh, on Flickr

The last video is great. Really shows why the Red Sea is so famous for its coral reefs and sea life:

(Rub' al-Khali)

4573991836_3befbb16ff_b.jpg

2vuc777.jpg

et8lf8.jpg

2yv9jdy.jpg

2pys410.jpg

2wohn9i.jpg

10n6xqr.png

Youngsters venturing in:

00542758.jpg

The Arabian Peninsula 4000 BC:

saudirivers.JPG

UAE_lake_24K_ft.jpg

Ancient 6,000 year old, Empty Quarter lake bed, seen from 24,000 feet, Google Earth image.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing video below:

Simply amazing. I wish that I could post some of his photos from that book (apparently containing over 150 high quality photos) here that I have not seen and the photos on his homepage have copyright unfortunately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

In other news:

Google Earth Reveals Thousands of Tombs in Saudi Desert | Saudi Archaeology & Tombs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saudi Arabia began setting aside land for protection of natural habitats, flora, and/or fauna in 1978. Currently, the National Commission for Wildlife Conservation & Development (NCWCD) manages 15 protected areas, which encompass 85,557 square kilometers (33,033 square miles).

These areas are:
  • Harrat al Harrah Reserve - Located in the north-central part of the Kingdom
  • Al Khunfah Reserve - Located in the northwest part of the Kingdom
  • Ibex Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, about 200 km (124 miles) south of Riyadh
  • Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve - This totally fenced-in reserve is located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve
  • Umm al Qamari Island Reserve - Located in the Red Sea off Al Qunfudah, which is located south of Jeddah and north of Jizan, approximately halfway between the two cities
  • Al Tubayq Reserve - Located northeast of Tabuk, in the northern part of the Kingdom, along the Syrian border
  • Farasan Islands Reserve - Located in the Red Sea, 40 km (25 miles) off the city of Jizan, along the southwestern coast of Saudi Arabia
  • Raydah Reserve - This small, 9-square-kilometer (3.4-square-mile) park is located adjacent to the Asir Mountains National Park a short distance outside of the coastal city of Jizan, in southwestern Saudi Arabia
  • Majami'al-Hadb Reserve - Located in the plains of the south-central part of the Kingdom
  • 'Uruq Bani Ma'arid Reserve - Located on the western edge of the Empty Quarter (Rub' al Khali)
  • Nafud al-'Urayq Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, northwest of Riyadh
  • At-Taysiyah Reserve - Located on the Summan Plateau of northeastern Saudi Arabia, south of the border with Iraq
  • Al Jandaliyah Reserve - Located in the northeastern part of the Kingdom, somewhat southeast of the At-Taysiyah Reserve
  • Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve - Located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve
  • Jabal Shadah Reserve - Located south of Taif, near the National Wildlife Research Center, on the outer edge of the Sarawat Escarpment in the Tihamah foothills
  • Jubail Reserve - This coastal/marine reserve is located on the Arabian Gulf, outside of the city of Jubail
The NCWCD has plans to recommend over 100 sites for protection.

Wildlife in Saudi Arabia

Lastly gentlemen do yourself a favor and spent 10-15 minutes reading this very interesting article below:

The only people that inhabit the Rub' al-Khali (Empty Quarter) are the Bedouin tribe of Al-Murrah. They are even more famous for their hospitality and codes of honor than regular Bedouins who otherwise are known for those virtues.

It is pretty amazing that they can survive in such a difficult terrain:

Nomads of the Nomads: The Al Murrah Bedouin of the Empty Quarter: Donald P. Cole: 9780882956053: Amazon.com: Books

As time changes then I do not think that there are many generations of them left. In 20-30 years time they will probably not be semi-nomads anymore and just like anybody else they will be living in cities or in the countryside. With them their ancestors millennium old knowledge about nature will be lost too.

13870623932.jpg

4732182195_868e1d94a9_b.jpg

Volcano Madina Saudi Arabia by Dr. A. Alturaigy د.عبدالله الطريقي, on Flickr

7123673679_1dfd85fa9f_b.jpg

6111957423_aaedf83173_b.jpg

311kyvn.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
(Rub' al-Khali)

4573991836_3befbb16ff_b.jpg

2vuc777.jpg

et8lf8.jpg

2yv9jdy.jpg

2pys410.jpg

2wohn9i.jpg

10n6xqr.png

Youngsters venturing in:

00542758.jpg

The Arabian Peninsula 4000 BC:

saudirivers.JPG

UAE_lake_24K_ft.jpg

Ancient 6,000 year old, Empty Quarter lake bed, seen from 24,000 feet, Google Earth image.

Amazing video below:

Simply amazing. I wish that I could post some of his photos from that book (apparently containing over 150 high quality photos) here that I have not seen and the photos on his homepage have copyright unfortunately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

In other news:

Google Earth Reveals Thousands of Tombs in Saudi Desert | Saudi Archaeology & Tombs

Saudi Arabia began setting aside land for protection of natural habitats, flora, and/or fauna in 1978. Currently, the National Commission for Wildlife Conservation & Development (NCWCD) manages 15 protected areas, which encompass 85,557 square kilometers (33,033 square miles).

These areas are:
  • Harrat al Harrah Reserve - Located in the north-central part of the Kingdom
  • Al Khunfah Reserve - Located in the northwest part of the Kingdom
  • Ibex Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, about 200 km (124 miles) south of Riyadh
  • Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve - This totally fenced-in reserve is located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve
  • Umm al Qamari Island Reserve - Located in the Red Sea off Al Qunfudah, which is located south of Jeddah and north of Jizan, approximately halfway between the two cities
  • Al Tubayq Reserve - Located northeast of Tabuk, in the northern part of the Kingdom, along the Syrian border
  • Farasan Islands Reserve - Located in the Red Sea, 40 km (25 miles) off the city of Jizan, along the southwestern coast of Saudi Arabia
  • Raydah Reserve - This small, 9-square-kilometer (3.4-square-mile) park is located adjacent to the Asir Mountains National Park a short distance outside of the coastal city of Jizan, in southwestern Saudi Arabia
  • Majami'al-Hadb Reserve - Located in the plains of the south-central part of the Kingdom
  • 'Uruq Bani Ma'arid Reserve - Located on the western edge of the Empty Quarter (Rub' al Khali)
  • Nafud al-'Urayq Reserve - Located in the central part of the Kingdom, northwest of Riyadh
  • At-Taysiyah Reserve - Located on the Summan Plateau of northeastern Saudi Arabia, south of the border with Iraq
  • Al Jandaliyah Reserve - Located in the northeastern part of the Kingdom, somewhat southeast of the At-Taysiyah Reserve
  • Saja Um Al Rimth Reserve - Located in western part of the Kingdom, approximately 150 km (93 miles) east of Taif, and adjacent to the Mahazat as-Sayd Reserve
  • Jabal Shadah Reserve - Located south of Taif, near the National Wildlife Research Center, on the outer edge of the Sarawat Escarpment in the Tihamah foothills
  • Jubail Reserve - This coastal/marine reserve is located on the Arabian Gulf, outside of the city of Jubail
The NCWCD has plans to recommend over 100 sites for protection.

Wildlife in Saudi Arabia

Lastly gentlemen do yourself a favor and spent 10-15 minutes reading this very interesting article below:

The picture of the lakes from 4000 B.C. is amazing! If only it stayed that way..

The picture of the lakes from 4000 B.C. is amazing! If only it stayed that way..
btw, Saudi Arabia is so much more beautiful then i had thought, do you know why the tourism industry in K.S.A. isn't more active? I would like to visit sometime.

btw, Saudi Arabia is so much more beautiful then i had thought, do you know why the tourism industry in K.S.A. isn't more active? I would like to visit sometime.

Actually there are lakes and huge underwater lakes to this very day.

Please take a look at those two threads below. They will explain everything.

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA

Exploring Saudi Arabia's marine wonderland

Check this thread out below for more photos of KSA:

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Where is this? Reminds me a little of Dubai. Although the place I was in Dubai was near the sea/beach to the left. This looks nicer in my opinion. Dubai seemed like a straight street with many nice tall towers and the highways were near them. This photo has nice square buildings near the bottom.

Of course in Dubai, that one street I drove through every single person had a porsche/lamborghini/ferrari/mercedes/audi R8....LOL...I was like what is dizzz? :P

Where is this? Reminds me a little of Dubai. Although the place I was in Dubai was near the sea/beach to the left. This looks nicer in my opinion. Dubai seemed like a straight street with many nice tall towers and the highways were near them. This photo has nice square buildings near the bottom.

Of course in Dubai, that one street I drove through every single person had a porsche/lamborghini/ferrari/mercedes/audi R8....LOL...I was like what is dizzz? :P

It is a rapidly rising and expanding Riyadh. It's a quite distinct city from Dubai and almost every other city. It's hard to describe if you have not visited it. Either you tend to love it or hate it. I am not that familiar with Riyadh as other users here who live there as I am not from Najd. KSA is a very, very big country with many different regions/provinces and contrasts. Greater Riyadh has a population the size of Israel and Palestine combined almost. It's changing rapidly too.

Last edited:
@al-Hasani

You've been to Riyadh before right? The cities look very nice. I am into highrise/nightlife scenes. There is no middlegroundfor me. LOL, so either a beautiful lit up city or a simply place like Gaza(flat plain).

Back
Top Bottom