What's new

Saudi Arabia bribes Lebanese politicians: Lahoud

Hasbara Buster

Reaction score
Saudi Arabia bribes Lebanese politicians: Lahoud

Lebanon’s former president, Emile Lahoud, says Saudi Arabia has been exerting its influence in Lebanon’s politics by bribing politicians over long years, Press TV reports.

Lahoud said in an interview with Press TV that many Lebanese politicians switch sides because they have pledged allegiance to foreign countries.

He said after he was appointed as Lebanon’s commander in chief, the then president of the republic and chief of intelligence approached him with “a suitcase full of USD 100” bills.

They “said this is half a million dollars that we give every month to the commander in chief who goes along our policy,” Lahoud added.

“I said why don’t you give it to the government and the government gives it to the army. He said no…. He said this has been done since 1982,” the veteran politician further noted.

“I said who is doing that. He said Sheikh Rafei and that he brings them from Saudi Arabia,” he added.

Lahoud stressed that Lebanon must have strong resistance backed by its national army to overcome problems.

The country needs to replace its sectarian-based electoral law with a national law to get rid of foreign-backed politicians, he added.

People in Lebanon have staged several demonstrations to slam what they called the divisive role of Saudi Arabia in the region.

Protesters accuse Riyadh of fueling unrest and sectarianism in Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. They say the Al Saud regime has been using its petrodollars to finance al-Qaeda-linked and Takfiri groups with the sole aim of destabilizing the region.

PressTV - Saudi Arabia bribes Lebanese politicians: Lahoud

Our Turkish Shia PISS TV addict at it again.:lol:

It is interference in internal affairs, and Iran does it also in Lebanon. This is no news

But contrary to the fake wannabe Arab Mullah's in Iran KSA is not actively supporting a international terrorist group (HizbAlShaitan) that occupies Lebanese territory and undermines its rule.

Are you interested in a Mullah supported Shia terrorist group that controls large parts of Southern Iraq and acts independently of the central government in Baghdad?

Try to make more sane comparisons next time, please.

The article makes me happy, not upset. If Saudi Arabia weren't throwing its weight around in Lebanon, Hezbollah and Iran would've consolidated their control beyond what they already have.

This will have to continue at least until there's regime change in Syria and the natural, Levantine order can re-emerge. Lebanon will always be governed by Damascus.

The article makes me happy, not upset. If Saudi Arabia weren't throwing its weight around in Lebanon, Hezbollah and Iran would've consolidated their control beyond what they already have.

This will have to continue at least until there's regime change in Syria and the natural, Levantine order can re-emerge. Lebanon will always be governed by Damascus.

I don't think that any sovereign country, Arab included, should be ruled by another Arab country. Influenced? Yes, that is inevitable but directly ruled?

Lebanon has a millennium old legitimacy as a nation state. Older than that of Iran, Turkey etc. for instance. The Semitic Phoenician legacy.

Of course the size of Lebanon gives it certain limits but that's only normal.

Are you in favor of uniting a future Lebanon and Syria into 1 country? I mean you have significant regional differences inside Syria as well. (West-East, North-South)

I would like to hear your opinion as a Lebanese (use the Lebanese flag 7abibi - it's a beautiful flag) @Halimi

I would have thought that you were a Aussie had it not been for the username.

Last edited:
I don't think that any sovereign country, Arab included, should be ruled by another Arab country. Influenced? Yes, that is inevitable but directly ruled?

Lebanon has a millennium old legitimacy as a nation state. Older than that of Iran, Turkey etc. for instance. The Semitic Phoenician legacy.

Of course the size of Lebanon gives it certain limits but that's only normal.

Are you in favor of uniting a future Lebanon and Syria into 1 country? I mean you have significant regional differences inside Syria as well. (West-East, North-South)

I would like to hear your opinion as a Lebanese (use the Lebanese flag 7abibi - it's a beautiful flag) @Halimi

I would have thought that you were a Aussie had it not been for the username.
Inshallah they going to united under the flag of the Ba'ath and Arabism and syrian nationalism

I was being a bit loose with my words, I'll clarify.

On key, strategic issues, Lebanon is too complicated for it to have any kind of coherent or sustainable policy formulated entirely from home. Every sect looks outwards and sees natural allies and foes, and the political institutions simply can't accomodate these differences - someone has to win. The country can't be neutral either. The winner has almost always been determined by Syria, whose hard and soft power in Lebanon are simply irresistible, especially when they align with those of Saudi Arabia (as was the case with the Taif Accord).

Undoubtedly, Lebanon is culturally unique relative to the rest of the Arabs. But ultimately geography will win and Syria will dominate the country's foreign policy sooner or later. And because the Sunnis are fed up with Hezbollah and are all behind the Syrian Uprising this makes it all the more clear: when Assad is overthrown - and I believe it is inevitable - Lebanon's Sunnis will, for the first time in fourty years, see a strong regional consistency and support for what they've always believed: that Lebanon is an Arab country whose best friends are the Arabs, with the Gulf at the top of that list and for whom our economy is built.

So on other domestic issues? Sure, Lebanon can govern itself. Strategic and foreign policy? It will be determined outside, with Damascus the dominant actor and Syria and the Arab World the country's strategic depth.

On key, strategic issues, Lebanon is too complicated for it to have any kind of coherent or sustainable policy formulated entirely from home. Every sect looks outwards and sees natural allies and foes, and the political institutions simply can't accomodate these differences - someone has to win. The country can't be neutral either. The winner has almost always been determined by Syria, whose hard and soft power in Lebanon are simply irresistible, especially when they align with those of Saudi Arabia (as was the case with the Taif Accord).

Undoubtedly, Lebanon is culturally unique relative to the rest of the Arabs. But ultimately geography will win and Syria will dominate the country's foreign policy sooner or later. And because the Sunnis are fed up with Hezbollah and are all behind the Syrian Uprising this makes it all the more clear: when Assad is overthrown - and I believe it is inevitable - Lebanon's Sunnis will, for the first time in fourty years, see a strong regional consistency and support for what they've always believed: that Lebanon is an Arab country whose best friends are the Arabs, with the Gulf at the top of that list and for whom our economy is built.

So on other domestic issues? Sure, Lebanon can govern itself. Strategic and foreign policy? It will be determined outside, with Damascus the dominant actor and Syria and the Arab World the country's strategic depth.

What do you think will happen to the Hezzies?

I know that Lebanon is a highly fragmented society, unfortunately, due to its demographics (mainly religiously bounded) but that's different from being a vassal state. I don't think that this will help.

On the other hand I agree with you about one side needing to triumph or regain the majority of the influence. The future of Syria is obviously closely connected to that.

I mean every Arab country is unique. I am just talking about historical legitimacy. Modern-day Lebanese people are those who can claim the ancient Semitic Phoenician heritage more than anyone else. In that way they have a sharply defined historical baggage.

The last part of your message I agree with. But where do the Christian Lebanese stand in all of this? Arab nationalism was always strong among them.

Lastly let's not underestimate that 1/3 of Lebanon's CURRENT population are Syrians, mainly Syrian Sunni Arabs. Who is to say that they will not become Lebanese people just like the Palestinian refugees that came after 1947 and 1973 who are now regarded as Lebanese or at least live in Lebanon? This could change the future demographical dynamics. Just saying.

What do you think will happen to the Hezzies?

I think Hezbollah and the Shi'a community broadly needs to reconcile itself to a certain reality: the Assad regime will not and cannot survive. And even if it holds out for another decade, it will not have the capability to project influence into Lebanon as it has for the last four decades. The calculus has changed and Iran will not be confronting Israel and the West as it once did either - that route has proved economically unviable.

How that will manifest on the ground is a long story and probably beyond the discussion here.

The last part of your message I agree with. But where do the Christian Lebanese stand in all of this? Arab nationalism was always strong among them.

The Christians are politically very fragmented, confused and split. Some are essentially siding with an alliance of minorities against the Sunnis, while others have historically reconciled themselves with the Sunni Arab depth (such as Samir Geagea, who has a romance with KSA).

But ultimately, they are politically weak and are on the back-foot demographically and are losing a lot of land. So instead of being active deciders in the country, they're increasingly becoming sidekicks siding either with the Sunnis or the Shi'ites, or M14 and M8, and betting on their side winning.

I think Hezbollah and the Shi'a community broadly needs to reconcile itself to a certain reality: the Assad regime will not and cannot survive. And even if it holds out for another decade, it will not have the capability to project influence into Lebanon as it has for the last four decades. The calculus has changed and Iran will not be confronting Israel and the West as it once did either - that route has proved economically unviable.

How that will manifest on the ground is a long story and probably beyond the discussion here.

The Christians are politically very fragmented, confused and split. Some are essentially siding with an alliance of minorities against the Sunnis, while others have historically reconciled themselves with the Sunni Arab depth (such as Samir Geagea, who has a romance with KSA).

But ultimately, they are politically weak and are on the back-foot demographically and are losing a lot of land. So instead of being active deciders in the country, they're increasingly becoming sidekicks siding either with the Sunnis or the Shi'ites, or M14 and M8, and betting on their side winning.

I think you are right. The strategic calculus of Iran will probably change over time as the tension between Iran-West cools off.

Back
Top Bottom