What's new

Featured Saudi Arabia announces the establishment of an air warfare center

I think the Saudis recognize the importance of this as its not enough to just have the individual elements like aircraft, munitions, electronics, etc. but its the bringing together of these as a whole eco system to wage air warfare and to link it the the larger strategic battlefield objects.

In the coming years it can be a game changer for them.

One question, doesn't RSAF still have F-5's in service? If so then perhaps some of those can be used for the aggressor role?
All the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) jets were retired several years back, and the bulk of them are now stored on old taxiways at Taif Air Base. Being left in the open in a pretty brutal environment means there would be little hope of getting them airborne again.

https://www.arabianaerospace.aero/f-5-fleet-on-red-alert-for-aggressor-role.html

Any indication the Saudis plan to “indiginize” the datalink and C4ISR technologies. If they can achieve that, then their capabilities will truly be more then the sum of their parts.

BTW, is all of this just to take on Iran? Seems overkill or do they not plan to take any chances considering how disastrously the Yemeni campaign has been going. Are the Saudis planning on taking on Turkey in Libya or do their own WoT against non-state actors in Arab counties like Somalia and Mali alongside the Europeans and Americans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Saudis build a base in Djibouti, or at least have landing rights at the US or French base there.

Indigenous production of munitions, or at least increasing the number of suppliers will also help them avoid the threat of sanctions from western public opinion, for what that’s worth.

This may also be an effort for the Saudis to finally break from their dependence on foreign pilots and maintenance staff; not just the Pakistanis but the Europeans and Americans. Although that is easier said then done.
- Saudi Arabia has indigenized the C4iSR more than 2 decades ago.. now it became its own C5iSR..
- Most munitions are made in KSA at 98%
- No foreign pilots in RSAF for decades now..

Buddy..you need to update yourself a lot!

- Saudi Arabia has indigenized the C4iSR more than 2 decades ago.. now it became its own C5iSR..
- Most munitions are made in KSA at 98%
- No foreign pilots in RSAF for decades now..

Buddy..you need to update yourself a lot!

Thanks for the clarification, my mistake.
Honest questions;

regarding datalinks? Does Saudi have or plan to develop an indigenous datalink?

are ground maintenance also done by mostly or totally by Saudi crews?

what lessons has the RSAF learned from the Yemeni Conflict which this center can help rectify; air defenses is mentioned as one (or were the major challenges more of an land forces issue)?

Honest questions;

what lessons has the RSAF learned from the Yemeni Conflict which this center can help rectify; air defenses is mentioned as one (or were the major challenges more of an land forces issue)?
KSA uses NATO data links.. but also has its own capabilities to link through it C5iSR includig its own comm satellites..

KSA wiped out most potent capabilities of Houthis_backed then by some factions of the Yemeni armed forces_ in 15 minutes..

The Major challenge is indeed a land forces issue as Yemen geography is very similar to Afghanistan ..meaning it is very mountainous and difficult to reach with armored vehicles and tanks to back up troops.. But Saudi SF did very good.. alongside the coalition forces composed mostly of them and the Yemeni army..

Honest questions;

KSA uses NATO data links.. but also has its own capabilities to link through it C5iSR includig its own comm satellites..

KSA wiped out most potent capabilities of Houthis_backed then by some factions of the Yemeni armed forces_ in 15 minutes..

The Major challenge is indeed a land forces issue as Yemen geography is very similar to Afghanistan ..meaning it is very mountainous and difficult to reach with armored vehicles and tanks to back up troops.. But Saudi SF did very good.. alongside the coalition forces composed mostly of them and the Yemeni army.. mind you the whole operation since the start was to contain the houthis and push them back far from the Saudi borders..And that objective was attained.. so it is difficult to understand people saying KSA has failed in Yemen.. while it is the opposite that is true..in fact Saudi Arabia didn't want to kill other Muslims.. but what can one do when attacked viciously? at least it targets the military capabilities of Houthis and avoids hitting them when they hide among civilians..

The Major challenge is indeed a land forces issue as Yemen geography is very similar to Afghanistan ..meaning it is very mountainous and difficult to reach with armored vehicles and tanks to back up troops.. But Saudi SF did very good.. alongside the coalition forces composed mostly of them and the Yemeni army.. mind you the whole operation since the start was to contain the houthis and push them back far from the Saudi borders..And that objective was attained.. so it is difficult to understand people saying KSA has failed in Yemen.. while it is the opposite that is true..in fact Saudi Arabia didn't want to kill other Muslims.. but what can one do when attacked viciously? at least it targets the military capabilities of Houthis and avoids hitting them when they hide among civilians..

thanks for the detailed reply. How about the state of the ground maintenance teams; all Saudis or mostly Saudis or partially foreigners?

thanks for the detailed reply. How about the state of the ground maintenance teams; all Saudis or mostly Saudis or partially foreigners?
Mostly Saudis and sometimes American or British Engineers to train them when the systems are new procurements..Maybe a few foreign highly qualified technicians from other countries.. not sure about it though..But mostly Saudis trained to the best and highest levels of their jobs..

Last edited:
All the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF) jets were retired several years back, and the bulk of them are now stored on old taxiways at Taif Air Base. Being left in the open in a pretty brutal environment means there would be little hope of getting them airborne again.

https://www.arabianaerospace.aero/f-5-fleet-on-red-alert-for-aggressor-role.html

Thank you for the info. Its a pity as the F-5's have proved a have a long life considering it was originally meant as cheap unsophisticated counterpart to the F-4.

This may also be an effort for the Saudis to finally break from their dependence on foreign pilots and maintenance staff; not just the Pakistanis but the Europeans and Americans. Although that is easier said then done.

I am not privy to any insider info but generally the trend among a few GCC countries like KSA and UAE is for greater self reliance in most fields. There is a great realization that expertise in STEM education and planning for 4IR is the way for the future.

I keep wondering when dreamers will snap out of their wishful dreams and put 2 and 2 together. As if abandoning us at FATF which led to our Grey Listing, awarding the highest Civilian awards to Indian leader, investing Billions of USD in India, supporting India over Kashmir etc. is still not enough!!!!

At some point we have to learn and say wait a minute, they did all this

What a load of crock! the article talks about training..then accusations..lol
Houthis themselves have bombed civilians.. and there is much evidence about it on the net..
It's not a load of croak but you can choose not to believe it, that's fine. And if you read the article it clearly mentions the bombing of civilians. In fact there are a lot of ne s articles if you want to search. I just linked it as I happened to see it right after my post.

Here I just Googled and it's the first result I saw.

It's not a load of croak but you can choose not to believe it, that's fine. And if you read the article it clearly mentions the bombing of civilians. In fact there are a lot of ne s articles if you want to search. I just linked it as I happened to see it right after my post.

Here I just Googled and it's the first result I saw.

All speculations and accusations.. nothing concrete as the Houthis bombing civilians and saying it is the coalition doing that..

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom