What's new

Saudi Aerospace Technologies (SAT) Unveils UAV Projects as well as the An-132 Gunship Model

These projects are ambitious to say the least and even 50-60% of these are achieved it would put KSA on international arms market in a big way.

Most likely concepts. But it shows that these concepts are under research and development. Even if not all of them is achieved with all of its standards, it is a move in the right direction.

Which is exactly the key here.:tup:

It is actually quite old news and most are concepts indeed.

Here is an older video (same video) from SAT's Youtube channel.

Somewhat related news.

Stanford and Saudi scientists launch six-year collaboration on aerospace research | Engineering

Things are moving in the right direction slowly but steadily. Have no doubts about that.

Last edited:
watch the haters below

Most likely concepts. But it shows that these concepts are under research and development. Even if not all of them is achieved with all of its standards, it is a move in the right direction.
I am glad that no off the shelf drone is picked up to fly but effort is made with some bespoke design concepts.
granted that there is no need to reinvent the wheel in terms of subsystems and engine but if design is based on your in-house concept then you have very own drone.

GUNSHIP UAV may not be a need as hell-fire (and the type) doesn't leave a need for gun. Hovering in the air within a gun's range (~2km) is not safe for UAVs either. There is a reason why UAVs fly this much high and rely on zooming to look down. I am rather finding this project is impracticable and against the principles of battlefield.

GUNSHIP UAV may not be a need as hell-fire (and the type) doesn't leave a need for gun. Hovering in the air within a gun's range (~2km) is not safe for UAVs either. There is a reason why UAVs fly this much high and rely on zooming to look down. I am rather finding this project is impracticable and against the principles of battlefield.

With a Gatling gun, and a target correction system, it could "technically" work.

On the other hand a UAV with a rockets and missiles, loitering for hours, providing CAS, would be a very good development!

I sadly can't find anything tangible right now.

Although you can take a look at KACST.

Information About KACST
I doubt if there will be anything available to public. military drone technology (specially combat version) is jealously guarded by a handful of countries that have a program in line with modern technology , not some German V1 flying bomb rip off shown by Iranian state television (I am sorry I had to mention it although its not very PC).

the challenge is the miniaturisation of the navigation , avionics and weapons for your chosen drone size. the power plant might be relatively easier to source but it is the other systems that keep the drone flying and work in sync with the on-board systems that become restrictive I see some mutual benefits if Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi organisations work out some MoU and give a thought to something similar to European (Typhoon or Tornado programs).
I am talking something beyond what Turkey and Pakistan have. something next level and close to say American Reaper/ Predator drone as a benchmark. one has to aim high where the outcome has the outlook and the substance otherwise for hollow bravado one can build automated kites looking like UFOs but they would be just big boy toys.

Back
Top Bottom