What's new

SAAB GETS LATEST GRIPEN E DEVELOPMENT CONTRACT

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Saab has received its latest contract from Sweden’s Defence Materiel Administration linked to development of the Gripen E multirole fighter.

Valued at roughly SKr5.8 billion ($812 million), the deal includes the provision of role equipment, as well as support and maintenance equipment from 2016, Saab says. This is the fourth such award to have been placed so far for the Gripen E, it adds, following others for development and production activities.

“Work with Gripen E goes according to schedule and budget,” says Lennart Sindahl, head of the company’s Aeronautics business area. “This order represents another important step in Saab’s commitment to deliver the next generation of Gripen system to Sweden.

”The company will fly three prototypes of the single-seat type from the second half of next year.
Saab is to produce a minimum of 60 new-build Gripen Es for the Swedish air force,with first deliveries scheduled to take place between 2018 and 2026. The service has previously expressed a desire to increase its fleet of the type to 80 examples.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ntract-404889/

At one point not too long ago, this aircraft would have been served PAF's needs very well.

Gripen E is an advanced version of the Gripen C/D multirole aircraft. Image courtesy of Saab.
1l-image.jpg

Components for the Gripen E will be supplied solely by Swiss companies. Image courtesy of Saab.
3l-image.jpg

Components for the Gripen E will be supplied solely by Swiss companies. Image courtesy of Saab.
Components for the Gripen E will be supplied solely by Swiss companies. Image courtesy of Saab. - Image - Airforce Technology

It had too many US parts and we were under sanctions.

Mainly the engine, but I am sure that a way could have been found. Anyway, too late now and replaced by the JF-17 in PAF.

One day, our tejas will compete with this bird. one day...

On topic, Grippen's weakness is it's dependablity on US for major components.

Grippen will be a major...i mean major seller if SAAB goes the Dassault way. Profit margins will be higher than any other company, plane by plane.

One day, our tejas will compete with this bird. one day...

On topic, Grippen's weakness is it's dependablity on US for major components.

Grippen will be a major...i mean major seller if SAAB goes the Dassault way. Profit margins will be higher than any other company, plane by plane.

Maybe you should bring the first version of "Tejjas" into full operational status first...

Gripen E is an advanced version of the Gripen C/D multirole aircraft. Image courtesy of Saab.
View attachment 137201
Components for the Gripen E will be supplied solely by Swiss companies. Image courtesy of SaaB.

Components for the Gripen E will be supplied solely by Swiss companies. Image courtesy of Saab. - Image - Airforce Technology

With the Swiss deal off, I doubt Swiss companies will be getting any orders.

Maybe you should bring the first version of "Tejjas" into full operational status first...

With the Swiss deal off, I doubt Swiss companies will be getting any orders.

work is on mate ! it will have an american engine too...very soon..by grripen E lol :cheers:

so it would take roughly the same amount(800~900 million) to upgrade JF-17 to bring it up to 4.5 gen.

Saab already has the experience and technology to keep costs down. Where as Pakistan will have to invest in R&D for the same product.

Besides JF-17 is on the lower scale of 4th Gen Fighters.

Back
Top Bottom