What's new

S. Korea’s Tourist Tunnel Model for India

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
india1-400x308.jpg

Last July, India’s Border Security Force (BSF) uncovered a freshly-constructed 400-meter tunnel on the Wagah-Attari border, the designated entry/exit point at the India-Pakistan border. Since the initial uproar triggered by the sensational discovery dissipated, India has said little about what it intends to do with the tunnel, which was obviously built with ulterior motives in mind.

South Korea offers a potential model for India to follow.

In 1974 South Korea discovered suspicious structures near the international border separating the two Koreas. After an extensive investigation South Korean authorities uncovered a sophisticated network of underground tunnels that its northern neighbor had built for espionage and military purposes. The longest of these tunnels stretched an incredible 1,650 meters.

The South Koreans chose not to demolish the tunnels, however, which provided damning evidence of North Korea’s malign intentions towards Seoul. Instead South Korean authorities decided to restore the tunnels and convert them into a tourist spot for people wishing to visit the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) on the 38th parallel.

In constructing its own tunnels, the South Koreans used Tunnel Boring Machines, a technology that residents of Delhi are familiar with given its usage in recent years as part of the expansion of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC). The freshly-built tunnel was added to one of the original North Korean ones, which this writer visited on Wednesday. The massive project took decades and it was only in 2004 that the South Koreans put the border tunnels on its tourist map in a big way.

Since then it has enjoyed outstanding success. Despite the government only opening 265 of the tunnel’s 1,600 meters to the general public, more than three thousand tourists visit the tunnels on an average day. This number skyrockets during the peak season between September and November, when twenty or even thirty thousand tourists may visit the tunnel on any given day. With admission to the tunnel costing eight U.S. dollars per person, the South Korean government is seeing a sizeable return on its investment.

Thus, a North Korean malevolent act was converted into an economic boon by the enterprising South Koreans. The obvious question in the India-Pakistan context is: why can’t Indians do the same?

S. Korea’s Tourist Tunnel Model for India

It's a possibility but the two cases are not the same. The DMZ/38th Parellel is a tourist attraction in its own right, I don't think the IB is a crowd-puller in the same way to begin with.

It's a possibility but the two cases are not the same. The DMZ/38th Parellel is a tourist attraction in its own right, I don't think the IB is a crowd-puller in the same way to begin with.

21032010013.jpg-247790d1332701958

Abing, if u have not seen the wagah border, i'll recommend u to have a visit & just look at the shear no. of the crowd there (from both sides ofcourse).

21032010013.jpg-247790d1332701958

Abing, if u have not seen the wagah border, i'll recommend u to have a visit & just look at the shear no. of the crowd there (from both sides ofcourse).
Mate I know full well about the Wagah border ceremony but the interest is for the ceremony not the border per se.

+unfortunatly I've never been, have been to Amritsar MANY times (so within a VERY short distance) but never quite got my act together to go that bit further. A regret I have to admit.

Mate I know full well about the Wagah border ceremony but the interest is for the ceremony not the border per se.

+unfortunatly I've never been, have been to Amritsar MANY times (so within a VERY short distance) but never quite got my act together to go that bit further. A regret I have to admit.

Agreed, but i think the tunnel experience will be a completely new experience for Indians so as to say, anyways why make this tunnel a liability when we can reap benefits from it & give a fitting reply to the enemy by asking them - "Yeh dil maange more" :lol:

Agreed, but i think the tunnel experience will be a completely new experience for Indians so as to say, anyways why make this tunnel a liability when we can reap benefits from it & give a fitting reply to the enemy by asking them - "Yeh dil maange more" :lol:

I told you guys the ****;s were doing this.....not a single one believed me

Back
Top Bottom