What's new

Featured Russia would be developing upgraded engines for Pakistan's JF-17 fighters

RD93 will stay as it is for the current lifetime. Maybe when JF-17s go in for a MLU and complete overhaul, they'll strap a new engine if available.

The alternative to RD-93MA engine, even though Chinese engine has been a disappointment but here is a timeline to WS-13 or WS-13a

WS-13 and work out a detail development scheme.

from chinese Fora:

2001 Project started
2002 Confirmed solutions and responsible division
2003 Aug Engine core component design completed
2004 Jun Core component design was reviewed & approved by experts
2005 Jan Whole engine design drawings and technical documents completed
2005 Oct China Aviation Industry Corporation I officially approved the engine development
2006 First prototype completed
2008 Ground testings finished
2009 Flight testings on test plane finished
2010 18 Mar"Taishan" engine (WS-13) fitted on FC-1(JF-17), first roll success
18 Apr FC-1, fitted with "Taishan" engine, finished maiden flight
2011-2012 Flight tests
2012 Aug Long-run durability test started
2013 Started design finalization processes
2014 According to schedule, design finalization will be completed
2015 Final completion tests for mass production
2016 Schedule to start mass production

The alternative to RD-93MA engine, even though Chinese engine has been a disappointment but here is a timeline to WS-13 or WS-13a

WS-13 and work out a detail development scheme.

from chinese Fora:

2001 Project started
2002 Confirmed solutions and responsible division
2003 Aug Engine core component design completed
2004 Jun Core component design was reviewed & approved by experts
2005 Jan Whole engine design drawings and technical documents completed
2005 Oct China Aviation Industry Corporation I officially approved the engine development
2006 First prototype completed
2008 Ground testings finished
2009 Flight testings on test plane finished
2010 18 Mar"Taishan" engine (WS-13) fitted on FC-1(JF-17), first roll success
18 Apr FC-1, fitted with "Taishan" engine, finished maiden flight
2011-2012 Flight tests
2012 Aug Long-run durability test started
2013 Started design finalization processes
2014 According to schedule, design finalization will be completed
2015 Final completion tests for mass production
2016 Schedule to start mass production
I think it is unlikely to happen anytime soon. PAF cannot and must not risk this project by putting in an untested engine. A few mishaps could really tarnish the reputation of JFT and Pakistani aviation industry. With current russian overtures and their willingness to sell RD93 directly to PAF and possible overhauling facilities on the cards why would PAF change the engine now. secondly timelines apart the progress on chinese engines remains slow and frankly I dont see any tangible results at least till 2018-20. This is just due to the complexity of the challanges in engine development.
araz

I think it is unlikely to happen anytime soon. PAF cannot and must not risk this project by putting in an untested engine. A few mishaps could really tarnish the reputation of JFT and Pakistani aviation industry. With current russian overtures and their willingness to sell RD93 directly to PAF and possible overhauling facilities on the cards why would PAF change the engine now. secondly timelines apart the progress on chinese engines remains slow and frankly I dont see any tangible results at least till 2018-20. This is just due to the complexity of the challanges in engine development.
araz

More importantly, the Russians have agreed to the unconditional direct sale of the RD-93. A powerplant that is much more developed, trusted and in use with all logistical and training issues sorted out .

More importantly, the Russians have agreed to the unconditional direct sale of the RD-93. A powerplant that is much more developed, trusted and in use with all logistical and training issues sorted out .

This is a double edged sword mind you.

Should Pakistan purchase directly from source, it would cut out the Chinese.
Thus depriving China of profit and leverage.

Additionally this will remove impetus from the WS-13; which would again erode Chinese influence.

I don't think pakistan is approaching Russia with out consulting China and I think China is playing big part in bring them together.
So no need to worry about if pakistan buying directly from Russia it's with China's approval.
People won't understand the relationship between them .

Block-I, II, III have the same airframe and engine (but Block III will have three-axis FBW).

I imagine any real work towards a new engine, if any, would happen post-Block-III.
Are Mig35 using new engines?

Block-I, II, III have the same airframe and engine (but Block III will have three-axis FBW).

I imagine any real work towards a new engine, if any, would happen post-Block-III.

Thank you.

Pw f-100 latest version is 12-15 million a piece and rd-xx latest version 4-5 million a piece so life and tbo is accordingly

You can buy one pw and get 10-12 years before needing overhauls or rd needing 5-6 year before overhauls [emoji6]

Not to say rd is as good but bottom line $$$$ eq to quality

Initially paf had orders 36 block 52 with spare engines not sure if they did once Reduced to 18 as they can order some spares down the road ??

There was a reason why the development of engine and rest of the aircraft was delinked by PAF and now it is becoming clear why that decision was made. PAF required a working solution, despite with limited engine muscle, to fill in the growing number gap viz-a-viz IAF. Engine was frozen to be RD-93 while rest of the aircraft system like avionics, weapons, etc. kept on growing. I think Chinese may take another decade before perfecting their engineering standards so that they can build quality engine in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom