What's new

Russia, Israel planning to sign agreement on military cooperation

Nahraf

Reaction score

06.09.2010 03:25

The Russian and Israeli defense ministers, Anatoly Serdyukov and Ehud Barak, are planning to sign on Monday an agreement on military cooperation between the countries during talks in Moscow, the Russian defense minister's spokeswoman has said, RIA Novosti reported.

Barak will arrive in the Russian capital on a two-day visit later on Monday.

"This agreement will regulate cooperation between the two countries in the military sphere in the next five years," Irina Kovalchuk said.

The agreement stipulates that Russia and Israel will exchange experiences and information "in the spheres of mutual interest, including international security," she said.

During the talks in Moscow, Serdyukov and Barak are going to discuss security issues in the Middle East and cooperation between Russia and Israel in fighting terrorism, she added.

The talks will take place less then two weeks after the Israeli Haaretz daily reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had asked his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, to stop the sale of advanced P-800 Yakhont supersonic cruise missiles to Syria.

Military-technical cooperation between Syria and Russia has always been an issue of criticism from Israeli authorities, who express a strong concern over the increase of Syrian defensive potential, but also see a threat of transferring weapons to Lebanese or Palestinian radicals.

Following the report, Kremlin aide Sergei Prikhodko said Russia stands by its international obligations and has no plans to stop the arms deal with Syria. Russia's military cooperation policy is shaped by the president and is not directed against third countries, he said.

This was quite spontaneous. I was not expecting the two parties to cosy up so soon to each other especially after the diplomatic assaults both the countries have launched on each other due to Syria's military ties with Kremlin.

this has to happened..
if not sooner then later...

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

this has to happened..
if not sooner then later...

They already did by jumping on the sanction Iran wagon.

Well everyone is on the sanction wagon right now. I don't know whether this is such a good move for Russia considering that she shares a portion of her border with Iran. If anything happens in Iran, guess who is going to feel the heat?

Russia Boosts Military Cooperation With Israel

MOSCOW, Sept 6, 2010 - The defence ministers of Russia and Israel on Monday signed an agreement on military cooperation, hailing the unity between Moscow and the Jewish state.

Russian Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and visiting Israeli counterpart Ehud Barak did not give details on the nature of the deal, which came after disputes over Russian arms contracts in the Middle East.

"I am sure the agreement we are signing today will give a new boost to our bilateral relations," said Serdyukov, quoted by Russian news agencies.

"Our views on many challenges of today are close or identical," he said. "Primarily this concerns issues of terrorism and non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction."

Security ties "help prevent these threats," he said.

The show of unity came after strains between Russia and Israel over Russian arms sales to the Jewish state's major regional foes, Syria and Iran.

Russian officials said earlier this year that Moscow was selling Syria MiG-29 fighter jets, Pantsir short-range air defence systems and armoured vehicles, provoking anxiety in Israel.

The Israeli press has also reported that Barak's two-day visit is part of an ongoing dialogue to prevent Russia selling P-800 Yakhont cruise missiles to Syria, which Israel fears will be transferred to Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

Israel is also concerned about Russia's deal with Iran to supply S-300 surface-to-air missile defense systems, a contract signed several years ago which would significantly improve Iranian air defences.

However, Russia has yet to deliver the weapons amid heavy pressure not only from Israel but also the United States.

Barak noted "improving relations" between Russia and Israel, and thanked Russia for its fight against fascism during World War II.

"We know the truth: the state of Israel would not exist if the Red Army had not defeated fascist Germany," he said.

nothing new it was expected..........i think India has played some role in improving israels relationship with Russia.........like Israel did in improving India's relationship with America......

Last edited:
nothing new it was expected..........i think India has played some role in improving israels relationship with Russia.........like Israel did in improving India's relationship with America......
Nope, I don't think we did play anything in the recent bonhomie, man. But I see a great potential for tri-lateral defence and strategic cooperation big time.

I guess you are overplaying the Indian hand here, for it does not exist.

Russia & Israel both have strategic reasons to come close. During the Russia-Georgia war, the Russians came across very impressed with the some Georgian equipment of Israeli origin, primarily UAV's & the training provided by Israel to Georgian special forces and other troops.

Israel also does not want Iran to get the S-300 missile system, which they have been partially successful in blocking till date. Russia is also interested in acquiring some Israeli systems primarily UAV's, which were effectively used against them in the Georgian war.

The current Israeli Foreign Minister is a Russian Jew and speaks fluent Russian, that might have helped too.

Guess Russia is willing to compromise on Iran then.

Russia always ready to compromise on Iran,, supporting Iran is a just a tool for them to negotiate best with the world Nations..
They want best technologies from Israel and the west so they are doing great diplomacy work...
But they will never kick Iran,,they want to take it in their basket too.

Back
Top Bottom