Russia Claims to Build an Aircraft Carrier for Indian Navy

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
25 February 2016 19:11Rubric:Russia,Industry
India prepares for building of a 300-meter long nuclear-powered aircraft carrier capable to accommodate 54 warplanes. Prime contenders to assist in the ship building are Russia and France.

• Commissioning ceremony of INS Vikramaditya
    Indian Navy

Media reported in the summer of 2015 that Russia, France, the UK and the US had received requests for proposal regarding the new carrier. Nonetheless, according toLenta.Ru, prime bidders will be the countries that delivered ship-based airplanes to India earlier. Russian aircraft is represented in the Indian Navy byMiG-29Kfighters, and France will start delivery ofRafale Mairplanes in the nearest future.

Currently, the Indian Navy operates INSVikramaditya(a retrofitted Russian aircraft-carrying cruiserAdmiral Gorshkov), and ex-British light carrier INSViraatwhich is to be decommissioned in 2016.

India prepares for building of a 300-meter long nuclear-powered aircraft carrier capable to accommodate 54 warplanes. Prime contenders to assist in the ship building are Russia and France.

Indian Navy

Media reported in the summer of 2015 that Russia, France, the UK and the US had received requests for proposal regarding the new carrier. Nonetheless, according toLenta.Ru, prime bidders will be the countries that delivered ship-based airplanes to India earlier. Russian aircraft is represented in the Indian Navy byMiG-29Kfighters, and France will start delivery ofRafale Mairplanes in the nearest future.

Currently, the Indian Navy operates INSVikramaditya(a retrofitted Russian aircraft-carrying cruiserAdmiral Gorshkov), and ex-British light carrier INSViraatwhich is to be decommissioned in 2016.

Who is this idiot reporter to create the heading as the Russian claims to build -- Rubbish.

Indian Navy had issued the proposal for various OEMs to help them in design and building of the Aircraft carrier. When we say carrier, there are different parts such as propulsion, Deck, EMALs etc.

India building a nuclear powered AC? this is news to me

India already in favour of building IAC2 with nuclear propulsion.

On topic. This is highly a bluff . îndią if want to build super carrier like USN carriers then Russia could be its best option. But I don't think we have another carrier program other than vikrant and Vishal. If at all îndią wants to add more punch then best option could be two more Vikrant class 45 k T ski jump or modified into flat deck of same class ...

On topic. This is highly a bluff . îndią if want to build super carrier like USN carriers then Russia could be its best option. But I don't think we have another carrier program other than vikrant and Vishal. If at all îndią wants to add more punch then best option could be two more Vikrant class 45 k T ski jump or modified into flat deck of same class ...

IN intend to have 3-4 carrier based force and looking for larger AC than the IAC1 which can accommodate 50-70 air assets having capable of launching heavy/medium fighters.

Further requirements of IN suggest it might not be Super Carrier but it could be around 65K-70K Tonne carrier. IN is keen on considering Nuclear propulsion.

US, France are the countries having experience in building Nuclear propulsion ACs. IN many not consider Russian help in building AC, considering past experience. Instead they might use their expertise in building Nuclear Subs.

No need to invest in a super carrier right now

IN intend to have 3-4 carrier based force and looking for larger AC than the IAC1 which can accommodate 50-70 air assets having capable of launching heavy/medium fighters.

Further requirements of IN suggest it might not be Super Carrier but it could be around 65K-70K Tonne carrier. IN is keen on considering Nuclear propulsion.

US, France are the countries having experience in building Nuclear propulsion ACs. IN many not consider Russian help in building AC, considering past experience. Instead they might use their expertise in building Nuclear Subs.

Its very old news you are sharing. These are about IAC2 which Russians expressed their interest but we going with Make in India AC . Me is INS Vishal. To be frank no call was taken so far on propulsion. It depends upon ongoing talks with US on Launching systems . Right now we are confused with Steam powered catapult system and Electro magnetic catapult system. Electrical system is one of a kind which is been installed in US Navy's new super carrier. More over it also depends upon aircraft under consideration. Depending upon its maximum take off load and its range and economical aspects on serviceability and maintenance issues.

But we are discussing about another super carrier for Indian navy . Post is about speculation on Russians building new carrier for îndią.

And unless we go for follow on Vikrant class AC we won't have more than two CBG before 2025 . For which Indian shipyard has already shown interest for one or two more like twin Vikrant AC class in very short term by 2020 and inducted by 2022 as they already built Vikrant So technology and manpower is available. What is required now is Money and Navy, government approval. OK brother?

But no problem if we want to !!!

Indian Navy

Something has been lost in translation here, the IN is not looking to have the IAC-2 built abroad but is looking for a technical partner and the US, France and Russia have been suggested for this role but Russia probably has the lowest chances of securing any such partnership.

Supercarriers are 100,000+ tons, the IAC-2 class will be 60-65,000 tons- a medium sized carrier really.

Something has been lost in translation here, the IN is not looking to have the IAC-2 built abroad but is looking for a technical partner and the US, France and Russia have been suggested for this role but Russia probably has the lowest chances of securing any such partnership.

Supercarriers are 100,000+ tons, the IAC-2 class will be 60-65,000 tons- a medium sized carrier really.

Let me rephrase my earlier statement "no need to go for Super carriers(100,000 tones) instead invest that money in heavy class carriers (60,000 tones)

Its very old news you are sharing. These are about IAC2 which Russians expressed their interest but we going with Make in India AC . Me is INS Vishal. To be frank no call was taken so far on propulsion. It depends upon ongoing talks with US on Launching systems . Right now we are confused with Steam powered catapult system and Electro magnetic catapult system. Electrical system is one of a kind which is been installed in US Navy's new super carrier. More over it also depends upon aircraft under consideration. Depending upon its maximum take off load and its range and economical aspects on serviceability and maintenance issues.

But we are discussing about another super carrier for Indian navy . Post is about speculation on Russians building new carrier for îndią.

And unless we go for follow on Vikrant class AC we won't have more than two CBG before 2025 . For which Indian shipyard has already shown interest for one or two more like twin Vikrant AC class in very short term by 2020 and inducted by 2022 as they already built Vikrant So technology and manpower is available. What is required now is Money and Navy, government approval. OK brother?

But no problem if we want to !!!

Paisa kaha se ayega, much better to invest that money in more subs or 2 medium sized carriers

Let me rephrase my earlier statement "no need to go for Super carriers(100,000 tones) instead invest that money in heavy class carriers (60,000 tones)

Paisa kaha se ayega, much better to invest that money in more subs or 2 medium sized carriers

:D I just our Navy to have good new toys . . . 2 more Vikrant class AC could add deadly capabilities for our Navy

...well, to the recent developments, france ..
I think they'll get consultation, since they have experience with a nuclear carrier, which was harsh experience as I recall.
Russia may get the big contracts as well as America.
But yea...france...

Honestly, I don't know why we are even thinking about nuclear powered ACC. Technically we don't need them, most of the time spent will be in Indian Ocean. Might go as far as Japan and we don't need nuclear power for that.

There are more downsides to nuclear than conventional.
It's more riskier, much more expensive to build and to operate.

On topic.
Stay away from USA, too many restrictions.
Russia....probably won't get it
France is best option.
France has been grabing a lot of defense business from India.
We can also look at England, if Vishal goes conventional , they have a lot of experience in building ships.

Back
Top Bottom