What's new

Rifles for F-INSAS.

EzioAltaïr

Reaction score
Don't know whether it's been posted already, but here's the army's GSQR for F-INSAS rifles.

http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/193/rfipmo_03dec10.pdf

UBGL, 5 different bullets, flip up sights, 4-sided P-rail, etc.

The document is big-a$$, so I didn't read it thoroughly, but as far as I can see, nowhere is it specified that they want a Bullpup style rifle. Then why do all the news reports say that the IA is gonna use a bullpup?

And can someone list the rifles that can fulfil these conditions?

The Indian Armed Forces have some insane requirements.:lol:

Not really that insane. It's basically an amalgamation of the best features on all rifles.

Improved ergonomics, P-Rails, reliability, ubgl, I think they are tired of excuses. They have asked simple yes/no questions, for every single feature they can, :lol:. If it's a no, then the manufacturer can stop right there. If yes, answer another 10 questions about that features.

The Indian Armed Forces have some insane requirements.:lol:

Not really-UBGL, QuadRails (p-rails),holographic sights, laser (IR included),night sight capability etc are 21st requirements for modern day rifles for modern armies. Most modern armies want all these boxes ticked-the IA is no different.

We should be seeing some movement in the next 2 years on the rifle front. I have heard the SCAR is taking part and would LOVE to see it in IA hands. But I am just wondering if the IA has budgeted to pay full-whack for 1,000,000+ rifles because 1,000,000+ SCARs is not going to come cheap (~$6-7BN USD)!

FN_SCAR_L_by_Drake_UK.jpg

A multi-caibre weapon is more suited for the SF than the Infantry.

But a Multi-cal for infantry will forever solve the d*** measuring between 7.62 and 5.56 mm fans. :lol:

Not really-UBGL, QuadRails (p-rails),holographic sights, laser (IR included),night sight capability etc are 21st requirements for modern day rifles for modern armies. Most modern armies want all these boxes ticked-the IA is no different.

We should be seeing some movement in the next 2 years on the rifle front. I have heard the SCAR is taking part and would LOVE to see it in IA hands. But I am just wondering if the IA has budgeted to pay full-whack for 1,000,000+ rifles because 1,000,000+ SCARs is not going to come cheap (~$6-7BN USD)!

The FN SCAR is certainly great, but I do think it would be better if the DRDO MCIWS passes the trials. It will be cheap (locally made), and better, since it will be designed specifically for India.

....and become a logistical nightmare

But certainly a smaller nightmare than the one we face now. Indian infantry use 5.56mm NATO, while paramils use 7.62mm Russia. US infantry use 5.56mm NATO, and SFs use 7.62mm NATO. Wouldn't it be better to make one rifle with all parts, instead of giving INSAS and Tavors to one group, and Aks to the other?

EzioAltaïr;3541676 said:
But certainly a smaller nightmare than the one we face now. Indian infantry use 5.56mm NATO, while paramils use 7.62mm Russia. US infantry use 5.56mm NATO, and SFs use 7.62mm NATO. Wouldn't it be better to make one rifle with all parts, instead of giving INSAS and Tavors to one group, and Aks to the other?

Its a mix...Infantry and Para-military are both using 5.56 & 7.62

EzioAltaïr;3541703 said:
In which case, it will be all the more better for them to be using same guns with different ammo, wouldn't it?

It will require a lot more money and logistics.

I think it should only be there for SF as it only suits their requirement.(different types of missions)

How should I put this, I don't trust the government agencies with F-INSAS program. I am more in favor of private agencies, and I know that private agencies are working in the project, its just that I think they should just give the whole project to private agencies and make them fight for the order, it will give us a better result rather than the delays of the state run agencies.

Isn't scar mainly used by SF, and I don't think even the US military uses SCAR for its regular infantry?:undecided:

How should I put this, I don't trust the government agencies with F-INSAS program. I am more in favor of private agencies, and I know that private agencies are working in the project, its just that I think they should just give the whole project to private agencies and make them fight for the order, it will give us a better result rather than the delays of the state run agencies.

Isn't scar mainly used by SF, and I don't think even the US military uses SCAR for its regular infantry?:undecided:
It is right now yes. I think the SCAR is a likly contender to be the US Army's next standard rifle but right now the SCAR is only used by SFs. But this is how these things go- the SF get the good gear first and then it makes its way down to the regular grunts-the M4 in US Military service took this exact route. Intially it was exclusivly used by SF, today it is the standard rifle for the majority of the US military.

More important than fancy toys is logistical ease,should be domestically manufactured.All ammo domestic manufacture.I'm going for better version of insas.5.56mm ftw because of additional ammo capability.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom