What's new

Rheinmetall: Successful Target Engagement with High-Energy Laser Weapons

Quasar

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
130594_1F.jpg

HEL-target-engagementBIS_web.jpg

Having recently used a high-energy laser weapon to down an unmanned aircraft at a proving ground in Switzerland, Rheinmetall has demonstrated the operational potential of combining a powerful laser weapon with an advanced air defence system.

This event provides compelling proof of the Groups 360° competence in relevant technologies ranging from military lasers and target recognition and identification to target tracking and fire control units and its unrivalled ability to weld them into a single, forward-looking, fully functional full scale demonstrator.

At a live fire laser demo at the Groups Ochsenboden proving ground, international guests were able to view two laser weapon demonstrators in action, each featuring different performance parameters.

Rheinmetall: Successful Target Engagement with High-Energy Laser Weapons

Its old but brilliant concept, US was testing it since 80's.

abl_AC_unstow_NO_F16_375x300.jpg

Boeing YAL-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However it STILL hasnt joined US forces, there are plenty of issues with high-energy laser weapons:

Secretary of Defense Gates said that "I don't know anybody at the Department of Defense, Mr. Tiahrt, who thinks that this program should, or would, ever be operationally deployed. The reality is that you would need a laser something like 20 to 30 times more powerful than the chemical laser in the plane right now to be able to get any distance from the launch site to fire."

"So, right now the ABL would have to orbit inside the borders of Iran in order to be able to try and use its laser to shoot down that missile in the boost phase. And if you were to operationalize this you would be looking at 10 to 20 747s, at a billion and a half dollars apiece, and $100 million a year to operate. And there's nobody in uniform that I know who believes that this is a workable concept."[18]

The Air Force has not requested any further funds for the Airborne Laser and Air Force Chief Schwartz has said that the system "does not reflect something that is operationally viable.”[19] As of February 2011, the US has spent $5.2 billion on the project.

I am very sceptical about these things. MANPADS or 50 years old Shilka can do the job better and they are not affected by
weather conditions.

I cant argue with this! its wise to be sceptical about these things!

but at first even aim-4 Falcon was following the sun instead of the target! but dont know whether its a fact or a rumor or a joke though :lol:

I am very sceptical about these things. MANPADS or 50 years old Shilka can do the job better and they are not affected by
weather conditions.

FEL (free electron) lasers is where the future lies for long range targeting. They have the power, range, and not affected by weather as much. their draw back is they are powered by partical acceleraters.

FEL (free electron) lasers is where the future lies for long range targeting. They have the power, range, and not affected by weather as much. their draw back is they are powered by partical acceleraters.

Sir how about microwave systems....they have longer range and more powerful jamming capabilities for the kill. It can be a better solution when integrated along with Laser weapons.

weather conditions.

true, they are useless if you have thick clouds

BUT: theoretically, if you have clear sky you can intercept anything! and you intercept it with the speed of light and over vast distances

Back
Top Bottom